Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Nebraska

Notices

Thread: NSCA Comp Scoring thoughts . . . . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default NSCA Comp Scoring thoughts . . . . .

First of all, the scoring that we are using this season is something that Gerame and I came up with during a phone conversation. (100pts for first 75pts for second, etc.) Since we are a new club and I was trying to get things started, I made something up. Anyway, now that we are quite a ways into our season, it appears to me that this way of scoring is far too heavily weighted towards winning and not enough credit for just competing.

I started looking at the way some of the other clubs are scoring and it is much simpler. The starting points vary somewhat but it is just a descending countdown of scoring. i.e. 10pts for first, 9pts for second and so on. Then anyone who scores 10th or lower would receive 1 pt for competing. This seems to me to be a better way of scoring and I believe that we should switch to it for next year.

Just for fun I created another spreadsheet to see how things would look this year if we had been scoring this way. The results are kind of interesting.

As you can see the scores are tighter and it places more emphasis on consistency and participating.

The spreadsheet below is how we are currently doing the scoring.

Please give me some feedback on this.

Thanks,
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
20K Club

This is how we do things Jim. It is a good system as you said, it rewards participation which is KEY. Also the fact that you guys drop 2 scores makes the system work well as if you miss one it won't kill your chances.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I like the new way but whatever you guy's want to do work's for me!
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for your input Josh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Also the fact that you guys drop 2 scores makes the system work well as if you miss one it won't kill your chances.
In case any of you are wondering, this is what it would look like with the 2 lowest scores dropped.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I personally would like to see a a more uniform standard with the scoring. The scoring we have now IS more win focused than participation. I think the alternative way to what we are doing now would be a better way to score. Also, something to address, is how are we going to reward "club" points champions. Do we have an overall point standing, or do we split overall and "club" competitors and reward NSCA members? I would pay to play reguardless, but I think it would motivate thoughs competing to support the club and reap it's bennefits by competing to take home a trophy at the end of a series. Just my .02...and it's just a thought, so please don't kick me if you think other wise. Im just throwing that out there as my personal view at the moment.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I would really rather get all the scores updated to the new system. In the end if we have a dozen people with the same scores that really isn't fair since that isn't representative of their actual scores. Totals are the totals and this will greatly reduce the whining later on.

The old way creates an artificially huge point spread between the consistent leaders and the rest of the group.

Sorry guys for not participating more, I have been just killed between the new job and our home landscaping projects.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Is there any format for the club to have meetings on things such as scoring, money handling, or officers? I think your idea about the score system matching other clubs is a great idea and should be put up to a formal vote. If not, I vote to change the scoring for next years schedule.

I also would like to add that if the club were to decide to have a home base such as the Plex, to have Midwest area comp events, then putting club dollars into buying materials for the comp area. Is there any money to buy more large boulders? I talked to Tim and he thought it would be a great idea but still would have to run it by the owner. I would always be willing to bring my skidloader in to move things around.

Large events drawing out-of-towners could draw income for the club to expand then indoor and outdoor courses. Not sure what direction the club wants to go, sometimes I tend to look to big.
no2hud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #8

Although I have only competed once (this past event in Lincoln), and have no real chance of placing in the top 10, based on how my OWN scores look right now

......I think the newer scoring system is the best to use. It gives a more "level playing field" to those who participate in the comps on a regular basis. I feel it is better to reward participation first, and then finishing scores.

I also realize it isn't always easy for club members to attend each comp, due to schedules at home and at work. BUT, it also isn't necessarily fair to put those who do show up to all or most of the comps, for them to be placed lower on the overall score sheet, when they are participating in more comps than those who don't participate very often.

As to the club funds.....we do have some money (I'd rather not disclose the dollar amount on this public forum), but we are still waiting on our second order of T-shirts to come in, and those have not been paid for yet. As soon as Tom (sniders), our Club President, gets the shirts and tells me how much they are, I'd rather not commit to a specific amount being spent on more rock or other materials to expand the crawling area at the Plex.

Once the shirts have been paid for, I'll gladly discuss funding with any of the Dues Paid Members of the Club.

And YES, I do think we need to have a Meeting to discuss Club issues, as suggested by no2hud. That is something that Tom and Jim will need to discuss, as far as date and time. However, I think this Meeting should be a "Meeting Only" thing, where rigs are left at home, so we can discuss club issues, rather than having it turn into a side-tracked "let's have fun with our rigs" thing.

Just my 10 cents worth!
03libertysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

As I discussed with Jim I think the new way is the best way to score the comp's, As far as the shirt's we are owed 2 of them that were already paid for so all we are going to owe is the other one for kara (gerames wife) & I will check on them for the fifth time:-x:-x! Sorry!
sniders1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'm too busy having fun to worry about that point stuff!! I do think the new scoring method would make for closer competition... put the heat on a little more!
sean68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

OK, I sent an email out to the club members asking if they would like to change the scoring now for the Summer Series. The overwhelming response was "yes". So this is now the official scores for our current season.

Remember, the results for each comp are exactly the same. If you finished in 3rd place in comp 4, you are still in 3rd place for comp 4. Only the points that each finishing position are worth has changed.