Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > New Mexico

Notices

Thread: Don't waste your time at Chili Challange!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Don't waste your time at Chili Challange!!!

Spectators ruled out for Chile Challenge

By Diana M. Alba Sun-News reporter
Posted: 01/26/2009 12:00:00 AM MST

LAS CRUCES — Organizers of the Chile Challenge, a popular off-roading event in the Las Cruces area, say they're closing the event to spectators this year.
In previous years, the public has been allowed to view the event at a site in the Robledo Mountains, northwest of Las Cruces. Organizers said as many as 2,500 spectators showed up over a four-day period.
But the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which owns the land where the Chile Challenge occurs, had concerns about the amount of foot traffic and the impact on the environment, said Blu Riedemann of Las Cruces, spokesman for the Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club. So the agency placed new conditions on a permit for the event, which would have been burdensome for the group to meet, he said.
For instance, Riedemann said, if the group opted to allow spectators, the agency would have charged a fee of $4 to $5 per person. And charging a fee, he said, would have bumped the club's liability insurance, another requirement for the event, into a higher, more-expensive classification. On top of that, he said, the group would have had to hire security, a condition of last year's permit.
"It was going to result in a cost of $10 per head for every person who walked in there," he said.
Riedemann said the club also didn't want to deal with exchanging money at the site or separating spectators from participants.
The event this year is slated for Feb. 18-21.
Tim Sanders, assistant director for the BLM's Las Cruces office, acknowledged that the agency has placed more stipulations on the club's permit as the event has grown in size each year."Our goal is to allow them to have their event, but we have resources we have to protect out there; it's sort of a balancing act," he said.
Sanders said crowd control is "a growing concern" at the site, but noted that the decision not to allow spectators was made by the club.
"We've give them the permit and a list of stipulations," he said. "Based on them looking at the stipulations, they have decided they don't want to allow members of the public into the event."
Participants in the Chile Challenge haul in off-road vehicles, many of them specially modified, to drive designated routes, many of which cover rugged terrain. The event isn't a race.
In previous years, spectators from the Las Cruces area have gathered to watch vehicles climb boulders or maneuver difficult paths.
Four Wheel Drive Club members have touted in the past that they take steps to erase signs of their presence on the trails, once the event wraps up.
Riedemann said his group understands the BLM's stance and said his group is interested in minimizing impacts to the environment.
"It's just been a situation where we didn't exactly know how to manage it," he said. "The only thing that really makes sense is to regulate it to the point where there are no spectators."
Riedemann, an 18-year resident of Las Cruces, said he first became interested in off-roading by being a spectator. He said he's disappointed the Chile Challenge is being closed.
"We hate to do it, but we have no choice," he said.
Diana M. Alba can be reached at dalba@lcsun-news.com; (575) 541-5443
On the Web

Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club http://lascrucesfourwheeldriveclub.com
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well that kinda sucks..... Guess I don't understand how charging people a fee will keep the damage to the environment in check. Either there is damage to the environment or there isn't. Charging a fee doesn't change that, it just makes it more difficult for organizers, which in turn discourages the event. Essentially the BLM is applying "economic sanctions" to try to discourage the event. Just the first little step in the road to full closure of public lands to all but the elite...

Guess now I know what I'm NOT doing that weekend....
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

wow, well im not going out this year or taking my 1.1 so i dont care all that much, bummer for the rest of the peeps
GLADIATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If you still want to come down, bring your mini crawler and we can go to Little Moab, plus I have plenty of room to dead head.

Andrew
Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Will definitely get down there one of these days with a crawler. It's just that the CC was a good excuse to go. Had a lot of fun last year. Frankenstunk is registered and I know he'll bring a crawler or two. If the schools hold Battle of the Books down there again, I'll definitely bring a couple rigs and get in touch with you guys.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

this is some bull shit i hate these people that think we are messing up the environment. all they are bitching about is some rocks with some small holes in them >.> well they might be able to stop us from seeing the chile challenge but ill still be up there with my atv all the time and they cant stop me
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #7

yeah i read that on there website...bunch of junk if you ask me.So iguess i wont be coming over for CC...maybe a spring run sometime,bring my real jeep 2...
sambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ram2500: Same thing, I was considering going to watch Frankenstunk, but I guess that's the decision made for me spectating. That really sucks.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
Ram2500: Same thing, I was considering going to watch Frankenstunk, but I guess that's the decision made for me spectating. That really sucks.
Guess I gotta build a 1:1 rig if I want to go next year.....
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM2500 View Post
Well that kinda sucks..... Guess I don't understand how charging people a fee will keep the damage to the environment in check. Either there is damage to the environment or there isn't.

Just read this...hell yeah, money won't stop messing up the area.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
Just read this...hell yeah, money won't stop messing up the area.
Exactly. Why sit on the fence? BLM either needs to put up a reason to shut it down or quit screwing with everyone. Complaining that the environment is being damaged but then saying it's O.K. as long as they can turn a buck doesn't make any sense....

Oh crap, I better stop venting. It's making my carbon footprint bigger.....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i got an idea guys. one person that has a rig can say they are entering and then bring all of us saying we are pit crew, family, and friends. i think it will work : D
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. pee pants View Post
i got an idea guys. one person that has a rig can say they are entering and then bring all of us saying we are pit crew, family, and friends. i think it will work : D
Just make sure the rig is really dented up. That way he can say that everyone is a spotter because he needs all the help he can get!
Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Just load every one in 1 jeep, I am pretty sure we can fit 25 of us in a jeep:-P
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

As I mentioned at todays comp in ABQ, I believe CC in Cruces has been opened back up to spectators. Not sure when the official press release (or if it will) be published.

Their website: http://chilechallenge.org/ Notice it is now missing the blurb that says it is closed to spectators.
Here is a paste of the email the club president sent out:

Hello Everyone.

Some of you have been following the spectator issue closer than others. We have a new development. We have worked in conjunction with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and come up with terms that allow the Las Cruces Four Wheel Drive Club (LCFWDC) to open up the Chile Challenge and allow spectators!!!

There will be no charge to spectators. A limited number of spectators will be allowed in order to minimize environmental impacts. There will be on-site officials that will determine when the spectator and spectator parking areas have reached capacity. When that determination is made then local and federal law enforcement officers will help the LCFWDC exercise the terms of the Special Use Permit issued by the BLM and restrict the number of spectators.

The official announcement about the status of spectators will be released soon. This is the unofficial heads up for those of you that may need to change any plans.

I am sorry for the confusion this issue has created. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks.
Blu

As I find out more, will let you know!
brettjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Report from Chili Challenge.

frankenstunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Holy cow! No wonder the Jeep got all dinged up! Looked like fun though...