Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Southwest > New Mexico

Notices

Thread: MSD44's TTC Build dubed... "Project Playboy"..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default MSD44's TTC Build dubed... "Project Playboy"..

Thought you guys might enjoy a new build thread in here as well...

Well... the build bug has got me yet again. I have been toying with the idea of building a TTC rig for a while now, but with my other projects, travel for work, and the wife and kids... my time and money have been pretty tied up.

As you guys know, I finished up my other scale truck a while back with some help from my friends, and the build can be seen here:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=299554[/URL] So now that I am happy with that rig, time to start my TTC!!!

The Build spec's:
1.) Axial SCX10 chassis
2.) Axial Axles
3.) Axial Tranny
4.) Traxxas VXL 3s ESC/Motor
5.) Newbright JK body, Turned Brute Truggy
6.) Proline 2.2 TSL's
7.) Custom Tube bed, and possibly exo cage.
8.) RC4WD Bully Winch (Front for sure, possibly rear as well)
9.) KC_JoNeS's light kit

Not much as of yet. I am waiting on the Axles and Tranny as well as the JK body. I should have those here soon...
But on to the pics...
Just your standard SCX10 (rpp's salvage yard special) chassis with a chassis mounted servo. (RcBros) Gonna lose the plastic links once I start figuring out where everything is gonna go, and how long I needed to stretch out the wheelbase.

And of course the power system.

All I have of my JK right now.... but of course that will change soon.

Last but not least... Proline 2.2 TSL's... Mounted up and ready to go.

And here is what inspired the name of the project. They are just to pimp...

That is it for now.. but I will be posting more as I go! This rig is gonna be awesome when it get's done. Big plans ahead!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well, it's official. I have a roller! (Thanks to dubAron for the loner axles and tranny for mock ups)

That traxxas motor is a bit of a tight fit. I am also gonna have to find a pinion that I can fit in there, or mod the motor plate a bit to move the motor away from the spur a hair.
Got my body today as well. Again, a huge thanks to dubAron for his body work skills)

What's that on the hood??

Bad things start to happen when I pull out the dremel... No more running boards or front bumper.

I have yet to modify one of these body... well... really modify one. So where we go!

Old 06-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Got a little happy with the razor blades....

Now... how to put all this back together again. Off to the hobby shop.....
Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Now please be kind. This is the first time i have ever worked with styrene, or have done ANY body modifications at all. This is going be be a lot of body work, most of witch I have probably created for my self. Shocker... right? But, you learn as you go along...

I decided that I am going to go with truggy bed, and ditched the Brute bed idea.

Here are some shots of the rear of the cab.

It's gonna take a lot of body filler to get it just right, but this is only the first application.

Overall I am happy with the progress so far.... More to come!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Oliver Custom Knives

Dude that is gona look SICK as F. I love what you did with the body.
Your gona love those tires too , got em on my Wreck and they work great for a scale tire.

I'm gona be watching this one.
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks Dwane. It's slowly getting there.. I just got done cutting the fenders, and filling those in to make a true "Flat fender" Fender as well. Gotta run and get more sand paper... this body filler cloggs it all to S*** while sanding.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Got a bit more work done today.... started work on the fenders, got the interior to work, and got the back "glass" to fit back in after modifying the rear of the truck.

Still need to get out to get some sand paper so that I can start some of the final body work before primer. But that I probably gonna have to wait. Gonne be out of town for a few days... yet again.

And just a few body on teaser pics. I have some clearance issues going on with the interior in... hence why the body is sting so high.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking Good!! What pinion spur you going to run? I switched to 32 P for my ffof with a vxl and is that the 3500 motor? The FFOF is now going scaler.
rocknut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknut36 View Post
Looking Good!! What pinion spur you going to run? I switched to 32 P for my ffof with a vxl and is that the 3500 motor? The FFOF is now going scaler.
Ya know... I have not put that much thought into it yet. I need to go get a pinion for it, and was going to go to a steel spur. It is the vxl w/3500 motor pulled right out of a slash 4x4. Any thoughts????
Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Love seeing these build threads. Have you managed to figure out how much you are going to strectch it out? I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, so far it looks pretty good. Wish I had the ability to make an attempt at one. Unfortunately my fab skills are seriously lacking, so i just read everyone's build threads.
JonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

48p did not hold up to the power for me so I switched to 32p 54 18 for the foff and it ripped I'm not sure what I'll run for the scaler. I'll try the 54 13 first see how it feels and go from there.
rocknut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

looking good mitch . . . . cant wait to see more bro
Chappy4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:05 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Love seeing these build threads. Have you managed to figure out how much you are going to strectch it out? I'm looking forward to see how it turns out, so far it looks pretty good. Wish I had the ability to make an attempt at one. Unfortunately my fab skills are seriously lacking, so i just read everyone's build threads.
Fab skills.... What fab skills? This is pretty much learn as you go for me. I've looked at all the same build threads, and figured it couldn't be that hard.
As for the wheelbase, I am gonna to wait and see what it looks like once the back half is on... And then go from there.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Wow that thing is going to be amazing! Love it!
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
Fab skills.... What fab skills? This is pretty much learn as you go
that's me too. and for gears, 32p yes! 54 18 is good for vxl on 3s. i personally would go higher on the pinion and run overdrives in the axles. i'm going to be running close to that but different power

oh, and bump for progress.
roglum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Progress huh? Well.. it has been slow going. I spent most of this week in Denver for work, so I have only gotten to play with it here and there. That being said, I have gotten some work accomplished. I got the rest of the cab fab up and filler in, sanded and what not.
I shot it with some primer last night to see what high and low spots needed sanded... sanded it, shot it again this morning... and that is where I stand right now.

I'll post up some pics later tonight once this round of primer has had time to set.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Default Cab is done.....

Well.. as promised... here are the pics. I think I may be happy with the final outcome. I spent some more time with body filler and sanding. Good lord the sanding. But I think I am finally ready for some paint.. (After yet another fine sanding of the primer)
(Bonus: Can you tell what is missing???)

I still have a few areas that I am just not happy with yet. Am I just being to much of a perfectionist?
Here you can still see some the body filler. No matter how much I work on this corner.. I just can not seem to get it right.

And from here, you can still see the "hinges" from the body... again.. This will get covered up with the tube bed... but still. It is freaking killing me to see it there.

So now... the big question. What color to go with? It was suggested a bright Lime green w/flat black fenders and accents. Thinking that could be sick looking. What do you guys think?

BTW: Ya like my "paint booth" .....

Last edited by msd44; 07-02-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #18

I think lime green or as I call it, slime green, would look awsome! ( GREEN POWER )
Larry Hasenbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by msd44 View Post
This will get covered up with the tube bed... but still. It is freaking killing me to see it there.
I feel your pain brother. Once I miss drilled a hole that would literally never be seen and in no way affected the integrity of the part. But just knowing that the flaw was there was enough for me to order a new part.

Scaler is looking good
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #20
Oliver Custom Knives

i think Slime Green would be awesome.

YOu got a run on the back too..........
DwaneO is offline   Reply With Quote