Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > New York

Notices

Thread: Albany NY area?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
wsb

Default Albany NY area?

Are there any people on this board from the Albany NY area? Do you of any good hobby shops in the capital district area?

Wayne
wsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Wrong forum, moved.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Hi wsb. I sign on as Davenport on the ADKJ forum.

There aren't any good Hobby shops near us that I have found. Competition RC in Latham on Rt 9 (south of Guptil's) is OK, but they are all about racing. I think they have a good selection of parts and pieces if you know what you want, just don't go looking for advice.

I just lurked here for a couple weeks and bought all my chit online.
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

i have relatives up that way, and i have visited that HS, and it wann't so great
rockman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
wsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboreeTJ
Hi wsb. I sign on as Davenport on the ADKJ forum.

There aren't any good Hobby shops near us that I have found. Competition RC in Latham on Rt 9 (south of Guptil's) is OK, but they are all about racing. I think they have a good selection of parts and pieces if you know what you want, just don't go looking for advice.

I just lurked here for a couple weeks and bought all my chit online.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out if I get up that way.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:46 AM   #6

Hey guys,

I am outside Saratoga and would like to meet up sometime to crawl (once the project Bruiser is done).

Where have you guys been crawling?

There is also a Hobbytown in Albany, I haven't been there in a few years.

Racing City Hobby in Glens Falls, kinda like Competition in Latham but more stuff, not much for specific crawling knowledge.

Last edited by lew s lugnut; 01-05-2007 at 02:28 PM.
lew s lugnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I'm in Malta. I just ordered my first crawler project, an E-Maxx. I've been crawling 1:1 for awhile with Adirondack Jeeps. www.adirondackjeeps.com.

Some of the guys with Nylint rigs carry them in the back when we're on trail rides and screw around with them at the lunchspots or wherever.

Hobbytown on Central Ave is OK, but they don't stock much. Really a beginner shop. The guy at Competition wasn't much of any help and didn't know a thing about crawling, but he had a bunch of shocks, gears, and whatnot in stock. If you know what you wanted, you might be able to get by. He did refer to crawling as "silly" so my visits there will be limited.

I'll have to check out the place in Glens Falls.

Last edited by JamboreeTJ; 01-05-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #8

Well, I have a lot of work to do before my crawler is done. I should be receiving an R2 transmission and the Bruiser/Mountaineer axle set from RC4WD to get my drivetrain complete. I am going for the scale aspect of crawling but would love to try and catch up with anyone in the area to enjoy the hours put into these projects.

There is a spot in the north woods of Skidmore college with a cool rock garden, not too far from a parking lot, that I have looked at for years while mtn biking and have always wanted to crawl it.

Hopefully we will catch up Jamoree.......
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I'm from pretty much the dead center of the state. Right in between Utica and Rome. Sounds like it would be about a hour and a half ride to be able to meet up for me. Where I am there is NO WHERE to crawl. I'm on the boundries for two different cities. Sucks.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #10

I know that Calandra's racing concepts in based near/in Rome. Granted they are not into rock crawling but they might be able to hook you up with someone who is. Calandra's is well known in 1/12 pan car and touring car world.

Keep an eye on this site. I hope to roust some "locals" for a romp sometime.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #11

I'm from Little Fallls, about right in the middle between Albany and Syacuse, about 1/2 east of Utica. Besides my neighbor's basement, which was build on bedrock, I haven't looked too far in LF for anywhere else, but will this spring. Last summer, just used it on some land my parent's owned near Gloversville, lots of old stone walls.

There is a hobby store here, of all places, but I WAS the only one into rockcrawling around here, but the guy told me someone else was building one, but I haven't heard anymore on that. But, he dosen't carry too much in the lines of crawling stuff.
95yj97xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew s lugnut

There is a spot in the north woods of Skidmore college with a cool rock garden, not too far from a parking lot, that I have looked at for years while mtn biking and have always wanted to crawl it.

Hopefully we will catch up Jamoree.......
Sounds cool. Send me a PM sometime if you're heading that way. I'm busy this weekend and next with my 1:1 Jeep, but with the winter weather holding off we'll still get some good outdoor crawling time.

My E-maxx won't really be a serious crawler for a little while. I'm going to screw around with it stock before converting it.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:12 AM   #13

I will keep in touch guys, worked on the 4 links for the Bruiser last night. It is slow for me, but it is coming together......

Need lots of body work too, which I haven't done much of, should be interesting.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew s lugnut
I know that Calandra's racing concepts in based near/in Rome. Granted they are not into rock crawling but they might be able to hook you up with someone who is. Calandra's is well known in 1/12 pan car and touring car world.

Keep an eye on this site. I hope to roust some "locals" for a romp sometime.
I raced at CRC this past summer at their NEBF(North East Bash Fest) thats held every year in mid June.

I got to a hobby store called Brennans in Vernon on Rt. 5.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95yj97xj
I'm from Little Fallls, about right in the middle between Albany and Syacuse, about 1/2 east of Utica. Besides my neighbor's basement, which was build on bedrock, I haven't looked too far in LF for anywhere else, but will this spring. Last summer, just used it on some land my parent's owned near Gloversville, lots of old stone walls.

There is a hobby store here, of all places, but I WAS the only one into rockcrawling around here, but the guy told me someone else was building one, but I haven't heard anymore on that. But, he dosen't carry too much in the lines of crawling stuff.
Whats the name of the store you go to?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
Whats the name of the store you go to?
It's called Boyz Toys. More of a general hobby shop, nothing like CRC or Brennon's, but it's in town here, so it makes it easy to get stuff.
95yj97xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:24 PM   #17
wsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsb
Thanks! I'll have to check that out if I get up that way.

Well I got to check out CRC in Latham, definately not a crawler friendly store. If your in to racing or flying then it would be great.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsb
Well I got to check out CRC in Latham, definately not a crawler friendly store. If your in to racing or flying then it would be great.
Did the guy roll his eyes and say something about "another one"? That guy is a nerd's nerd. Like I said before, probably good for parts, but only if you know what you want.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsb
CRC is a racing specific store. They even have their own production chassis'.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:54 PM   #20

I think that he meant Competition Hobby in Latham, NY. Calandra Racing Concepts is in Rome, or near by Rome, NY. Correct?

If you can get up there, Racing City Hobbies is in Glens Falls, and definitely has a larger selection of many things that you might be interested in. Again, he has no crawler specific knowledge.