Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: run time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default run time?

I know this is a newbie type question but it relates to clods too. How do I get the most run time out of my clod? More MaH, lower gearing, and more turns. Is all of this right? My current, pre-crawling build, setup is lockers f+r, stock internal gears with 13t pinions on speedworks monster mash motors. The best I can remember is they were a 15t motor. I"m also using a stock mechanical speed control. I have a 3300 6cell ni-mh battery and I'm using a prophet plus2 charger. I'm getting 8-10 minutes of uncontrolably fast run time. If i go to a rooster esc and a pair of integy 65t lathes with a 6 or 7 pinion what kind of run time could I expect? Also, does the weight of a second battery negate any runtime benefits?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

It is probably because of the setup you run... here is my setup, I can easily get 35 minutes out of my 3000mAh pack, and I have gotten 55 minutes out of an Elite 4500mAh pack. I run 55Turn motors and 8 tooth pinions with a Tekin Rebel 2 ESC.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Colt Python/SR9c

having 2 batteries adds weight as you know, so that will help kill runtime.

being easy on the throttle trigger helps alot also.

i run 2 45t motors w/ 8t pinions in my 2.2 clod. I can run a 7 cell 2/3a 1400 pack and get around 60 mins runtime.

My son runs 65t motors w/ 9t pinions in his and can get about 50 mins from his.

when i ran a super. I ran 65t motors w/ 8t pinions and 6 IB4200's on the knuckles and my runtime was around 1hr. 20 mins.

so you are on the right track. Change your motors, go to the rooster ESC and get you some decent packs to run. I had even made 7cell packs from the Energizer 2500mah AA's and would get around an hour from them.. But as i mentioned, it has alot to do with driving style also.
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

the best way in your case is to ditch the 15s and get those 65s you were talking about. then go to a 9 tooth pinion and you should be getting about 45mins of runtime. I expect with the 6 or 7 tooth pinon you would get arond 50mins to and hour of runtime.

Good luck!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:40 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

my scorp has a rooster crawler, 65t, stock gearing, 3600 sub c pack. I get bored before my batt runs out. Another thing to think about is a good charger. Good batts don't mean squat unless they get a good charge. I have a duratrax piranha digital peak charger. I love it. only problem with that is It doesn't have a discharge setting so I have to use my Duratrax intellipeak mini pulse charger for cycling.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote