Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What am I doing wrong????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Angry What am I doing wrong????

I have two trucks a Traxxas electric stampede and a TXT-1. I've had the Stampede running fine my problems are with the radio, I might jut have to spend some more time screwing with it. My TXT-1 has been nothing but a headache. I am new to RC in general. I have never been able to get the steering working right on it. I never had the rear steering working right and the front didn't turn very sharp. I spent more time turning the thing around than driving it. I have gone through the TXT and did all of the mods I have seen here. Now back in the electroincs I'm having the same issues. I'm trying for independent control of the front and rear steer. Right now I can only get the rears to turn and not very effectivly. I talked to HiTec and they recommended a Digital Lazer 6 radio. I mounted the servos and the receiver and now think I'm in way over my head. If I can get some help getting the thing to turn I might start enjoying it. Everybody elses TXT's turn What am I doing wrong??? I would like to get going so I can start breaking stuff
GreMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Have been on the Scale 4x4 R/C site everybody here crawls rock and for the most part the rigs are pretty specialized. I would use the seach there.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

What servos are you using?
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Got any pics of your setup? It could be a number of things. Weak servos, not enough throw on the servo arms, linkage, radio. etc...

What Radio and servos?
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Right now I have the two that came with my Laser 6, There HS-322 servos. I also have one HS-5645MG servo. I spent about an hour with it after I posted. I have the controls working. I have independet four wheel steering, When the wheels are off the ground, I still have very little movement when I'm trying to drive it. The problem I still have to fix with the radio it the throttle stick is not spring loaded, it doesn't return to center. I wacked the wall preatty good lol. I took the back off and it looks like you just have to take the stick apart and hook it up. A little further into the radio than I want to go. I will havea pro do that. Here are some pictures
Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default one more

picture of the truck
Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I'm noticing alot of flex in the servo arm, I might be loosing most of the steering throw there.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

ok so the plastic servo arms look like there about to break. I went to tower and ordered some aluminum ones. Whats the best was to ditch the stock links? The plastic ones are a pain to get on and off and they twist on the ball. It also looks like I might have a bit more work to do on my mounting plates. I carved them out of a totaled Camaro. Think they'll be strong enough?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I would say your biggest problem is the HS-322 servos. They only have about 50oz/in of torque, which really is no where near enough for a large rig like your txt.

Also, what ESC are you using? How many cells are you using? Do you just have the servos plugged into the receiver without an external power source?

Depending on what ESC you have, the servos may not be getting enough power (from the BEC). If you have an external power source (receiver pack, external BEC, etc) then you don't have to worry about the Speed Control's internal BEC.

Last edited by SVEN; 01-19-2008 at 09:12 PM.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I was pretty sure the servos were not strong enough. I found a pair from a guy on here that I will order when my funds catch up. I am running an external power source. I was using a six cell 3000 battery, I burned it down though so I am open to better battery ideas. The receiver I am using is a HiTec HFD-08RD. It came with the laser 6 and is a seven channel with mixing and revercing on all channels. I have it trying to do what I want. I think I'm back to the truck side now. I think stronger servos, stronger servo arms and stronger steering links will help alot.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #11
I'm a stupid C U N T!

do you find that the rear steers better going forward and that the front steers better in reverse. Either way the 322 is no where strong enough. what I would do is either pick up a Castle external BEC HERE and a new servo while you're at it. you will see a big improvement
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I do notice the front steers better in reverce and so on. How do I fix that? I'm getting some 300 in/oz servos soon but I'm sure I can fix other problems with the steering.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
I'm a stupid C U N T!

that is because the servo doesn't have work as hard when going the opposite direction. 300oz servos would fix the problem for sure, pick up a castle BEC while you're at it if you don't have one yet, the servos will overload a ESC's BEC in a heartbeat
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Everything is working great now!! I reworked the steering to get better angles. I also wired up a BEC straight to the servos. I followed the directions that came with it to start. Now I have full lock to lock steering front and rear, now the hard part, learning to steer it with my seven channel twin stick lol. Thanks for all the help guys it was fun working on it now its time to break it
Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I got fed up fighting this, I thought the steering was better but it was only a little bit, Trying to control the steering with a twin stick was a big headache, I have put the radio in a box and the servos on my RS-10. SO what has become on my TXT? How about a complete rebuild. Since trying to get answers about radios is almost impossible, I guess no one in the radio business has heard of Punk RC or four wheel steering or DIG. So I am going to mod a TQ3 because I also don't want to spend $200. I have already bought the HiTec 1/4 805 servos. I'm going to build new battery packs and maybe switch to lipo and I will have a seperate pack just for steering. I will make it a mode type steering like my RS-10 has. Mode one front steer, mode two crab walk mode three four wheel steer.
I have also desided that my TXT is a monster truck and it will stay that way, It will how ever be asked to climb stuff also. I have painted the spare body and it looks great. WHen you can't get any help you just have to start over(radio help I still use all the things I got from you guys)