Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: spur and pinion gear questions ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #1

Default spur and pinion gear questions ?

first off whats the difference between 32 and 48 pitch gears and y are there different ones and second what would be a good spur and pinion tooth ammount to start at with 2 55t motors
chevhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevhockey View Post
first off whats the difference between 32 and 48 pitch gears and y are there different ones and second what would be a good spur and pinion tooth ammount to start at with 2 55t motors
Rather than describe what the pitch numbers mean...I'll simply say this. 32 pitch is a more "course" gear pattern than 48. Clods have 32 pitch inside their axle gearboxes hence you would then need 32 pitch pinion gears for motors on a Clod. 48 pitch is a smaller gear tooth which means there will be more teeth on a spur or pinion gear vs. the 32 pitch of the same gear ratio. 48 pitch is used on most of the Traxxas electric rigs and HPI...among others.

48 pitch is a "finer" gear...which translates into more teeth per inch/cm/mm (depending on how small the gear actually is) around the circumference of the gear. I use 32 pitch spur/pinion on my 2.2 on a trans that comes as 48 pitch. I do this for strength...there's simply more "meat" on the teeth than with 48 pitch.

On the question of why there are different one's...you can adjust your final gear ratio by simply switching spur & pinion gears. The higher the tooth count on the spur...the lower the gearing will be and visa versa. The smaller the tooth count on the pinion, the lower the gearing will be...and visa versa.

Make sense?

Last edited by Offroader5; 01-20-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote