Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New crawler on the scene..that's me of course.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #1

Default New crawler on the scene..that's me of course.

Just picked up a AX-10 over the weekend. Almost ready to run. But, I have a small problem. Ever since I got the truck, I just can't stop watching videos on YouTube! Anyone else have this same problem?

I just turned 35, but yet I feel like a giddy 12 year old.

Oh yeah, while watching the vids i came across the Tamiya Toyota Hilux truck. very cool buggy. Yeah, it's on order.

I need help!
Mike(LaCanada) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

welcome to the addiction!!!! there are alot of folks that are older than yourself (including myself) that feel the same way. RC's in general are a blast. I never had any rc till I bought a tmaxx 2 years ago. I never would have thought they could be so fun.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you think you're hooked now just watching videos, wait until you hit the rocks! And I know the feeling on being 35 and feeling like a kid. I have a county park nearby that is connected to multiple walking paths, one of them leads almost to my back door. I put the truck down and walk behind it through the woods and down the trails to the park, then crawl over everything in sight. There is one really cool area where a bridge crosses a stream, and there are some serious rocks on both sides with a small waterfall underneath. I often feel like an idiot when people walk by and look at me playing with my "toy truck" down there.. but what the hell
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

im 21 but yesterday it was warm out and i took my ax10 outside for the first time and man it was fun.I had a couple of truckers stop and ask a few ?s,but the kicker is a 84 year old man stopped and asked ?s for bout 30min while his wife was saying lets go buy some couch.After she got him back in the car he pulled a uturn,away from the funiture store.

i was back crawling today and guess who showed up with a brand new ax10,with a angry wife and no new couch.
dan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM   #5

I feel the same. I'm 40 now. It all started when I bought TLT for my kid and modify a lot of things on it to make it a good crawler. And now I'm building a Clod tuber for myself. When crawling I always bring my son together and when peoples passing by, I just pretending that I'm teaching him crawling.
2Slo2Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yup I'm going to be 60 this year and going on 12... Welcome to the fountain of youth
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default forever young

who wants to just quit working and crawl all day every day,,,,,ME, ME, ME......i would need 20 batteries a day to cool my erge, im waiting on my first , yes an ax10, i started with the wally fallapart nylant and went through about 5 sets of tires in a year, time to upgrade a little,lol, more like alot
lizard017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike(LaCanada) View Post
Just picked up a AX-10 over the weekend. Almost ready to run. But, I have a small problem. Ever since I got the truck,

I just can't stop watching videos on YouTube! Anyone else have this same problem?

I just turned 35, but yet I feel like a giddy 12 year old.

Oh yeah, while watching the vids i came across the Tamiya Toyota Hilux truck. very cool buggy. Yeah, it's on order.

I need help!
I'm with ya (40 yr old). I got hooked watching the videos and thats what made me realize I wanted to crawl a scaler. Havent even had the first one 4 months and already building a second.

You're local, arent you? Lakewood/LaCanada...if the latter then you're close to Jaynen, who also has an ax10 but did an xtrail scale rig, and also clost to the crawl spot in Big Tujunga. You can also check out the other local spots. we did royal palms beach in san pedro last weekend. there are some great spots.

I agree with previous post about getting even more hooked once you hit the rocks.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It is fun less expensive when you break too, the only thing this dose not give me is the pucker factor that I get with my 1.1 YJ now if there was a way to shrink my self into my rc crawler then it would be the best of both worlds!
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I'm with ya (40 yr old). I got hooked watching the videos and thats what made me realize I wanted to crawl a scaler. Havent even had the first one 4 months and already building a second.

You're local, arent you? Lakewood/LaCanada...if the latter then you're close to Jaynen, who also has an ax10 but did an xtrail scale rig, and also clost to the crawl spot in Big Tujunga. You can also check out the other local spots. we did royal palms beach in san pedro last weekend. there are some great spots.

I agree with previous post about getting even more hooked once you hit the rocks.
Cool, I'm closer to San Pedro. So I'll get down there and check it out
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM   #11

Default Here' the buggy

All stock for now. The only thing I want to do is change out the green tire rings. Doesn't match the truck.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #12

Talking

Fella's......I'm 47 and on my 4th build right now. I finaly have the bucks for this hobby, but with all of the honey do's, I can hardly find the time. I am going to post a build thread soon!
X-Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike(LaCanada) View Post
Cool, I'm closer to San Pedro. So I'll get down there and check it out
san pedro is the best in my opinion...my favorite. We'll be hitting SP in a few weeks again. next week we're doing topanga again.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:40 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Bones View Post
Fella's......I'm 47 and on my 4th build right now. I finaly have the bucks for this hobby, but with all of the honey do's, I can hardly find the time. I am going to post a build thread soon!
I hear you on that one. I've been into RC since I was like 12, but never could really afford to go nuts with it until recently. I'm running out of shelf space :-P
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:02 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i enjoyed reading all these posts,as i too am older adult, ive been into the hobby 20yrs, im addicyed to watching the vids too, i have a stock ax 10 also, just got in jan. i dont run my trucks as much as id like cause my neighbors, theyll think im a lil kid, i live in the country, but i post comments on here, &youtube also, [nice ones], thanks fellas.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Yep. 35 here and I'll be 9 1/2 tomorrow. I like this as much as 1:1 wheeling. Probably because I can work inside and the parts are less expensive when I break something.

I'm on here window shopping for new ideas, watching videos and generally not being productive for work (several times a day).
JamboreeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

38 yrs. here and feel like 18 again. Thats when I picked up a Tamiya Super Blackfoot. I'll pick up my Ax-10 on Tuesday when I have a day off work, gotta work the weekends(ugh!). Been on and off the hobby for 20 yrs. Tried racing pan cars, 1/8th scale buggies, monster trucks(electric and nitro), stadium trucks(electric and gas), even got a CRT.5 that needs broken in yet. But havent been excited like when I first got the Blackfoot like I am now with the Scorpion. C'mon Tuesday get here!
Focus07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #18

Default 37 this year!

I got hooked at 14. Totally blew my grades that year. Took 22 years off after discovering girls and 1:1's. Now, I can afford it. What an awesome hobby, too bad the wife thinks it's silly.
ILPUFXIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I got into r/c about 20 years ago. I spent way, waaaay too much money on r/c stuff. After about 10 years of ROAR and NR/CTPA racing I got out, but kept my pet ESP2 Clod. I was going to get it running again, but decided to sell it to buy a Wheely King.

It's nice to feel the energy again that I've been missing. I found a good group of local people who are into this for fun and aren't super serious. I have at least 2 WK builds on my to-do list so far, with the outside possibility of an AX-10 finding it's way into my fleet.
Pete from Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

well hell i'm 41 and got hooked because I bought an ax 10 for the kids xmas present. now I own one, its fun to get out and do things with the kid, and we rib eachother about our driving style...
needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote