Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: ESC Brushless BEST one also lipo cutoff help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default ESC Brushless BEST one also lipo cutoff help needed

Hello,
I have a axial ax10 with a TCS edge chassis installed.
And I am just about to purchase another ax10 kit so that I can use the stock body setup and get 2 more axles. (I miss the body haha)

so for my "stock" ax10 I will run my Tekin Rebel but I want to use my lipo's.
So is there something I can buy to set a cutoff voltage so I can run Lipo batteries with that so it doesnt drain down to far?

2nd
I want to purchase a new ESC that has the lipo cutoff built in, as well can run brushless motors. (this is what I want to run in my Edge tube chassis.

I am new to brushless and lipo setups so any help will be great.
not looking at price which one is the best setup?

looking at price which one is the best value? (best bang for your buck!)

I have heard of the novak goat and the castle mamba max. also the castle sidewinder.
It just soo confusing it seems like there is soo many ones out there.

pretty much i would like to get some help picking out a new motor and ESC for my tuber rig.

I currently have a 55 turn motor and i dont feel like it has enough wheel spin i would like just a bit more, so thats a 45 turn maybe? haha

also what the KV killo volts in the brushless setup?
Higher the number the better? haha

thanks for your help and comments!

Brian
4x4Crawler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

CC will have 25% off on march
http://www.castlecreations.com/promo.../usa_sale.html

I will get at least sidewinder... I'm CC fan. I use mamba Max myself.

this my custom tubar.. not edge but here..http://gallery.mac.com/xtremeracingt...lack&view=grid
jmizoguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So I am liking the side winder with the 5700 motor and you say that ALL Castle stuff is on sale next month? because if thats the case I am going with them!!!

Also this chart is talking about LIPO's and gears for the on and off road trucks... What size gears should I use in my crawler to give it some nice tire speed like in this truck!>? I aksed the guy in the youtube video a ? and he told me 85 and 18 is that good?

here is the chart?

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...ring_chart.pdf

I really like how this thing run! I want to build a "Haven" like that soo bad!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFi7NbyizmE
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

get the side winder but not the motors . they are not for crawler. just ESC

I would go with popular integy or look homlesbhobbies.com. he has nice brushless motor.

you have many choose on motor .. I use integy 55t happy with it.. was 20bucks... can't beat that..
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Crawler4LIFE View Post
So I am liking the side winder with the 5700 motor
The 5700 is probably WAY too fast for any crawler. The kv rating is, effectively, the RPM per volt...........so with a 5700kv @ 7.4V (for example), you are looking at 42000 RPM. As a comparison, a 45T brushed motor would run somewhere around 9000-9500 RPM @ 7.4V.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So ok the motor is not one I would want from castle ok good to know.

I am tossed up now.

I have a 55 turn integy brushed motor already brand new.

but I was thinking about trying a brushless..
does it matter haha

I was reading some things on the novak rooster ESC here.

http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=29&page=2

I like the high BEC will that be enough power to move to Hitek high torque servo's?

I also noticed 4-7 cells for Ni-Cd/Ni-MH cells (1.2V/cell) or 2 Li-Poly cells

so i have purchased a lipo that is a 2 cell 7.4v 1800 mHa. I am thinking the rooster is perfect for me.

But the Novak goat brushless is so sick looking~!>
is it too much motor for me for crawling?

if so its just down to
rooster or sidewinder

and i will use my integy 55t motor and 2 cell 7.4v lipo
either one sounds like it will work?

just need some advice and pro's cons.

some help before I go spend all that money! haha

thanks any help will be greatly appretiated
Old 02-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I ran both 2s and 3s lipo and love 3s lipo.... 2s is back up.. power is just awesome on 3s. you would want to ran CC BEC too.

if you get CC ESC, you will able control our ESC like you would not able to do with novak. my 2cents.

3s lipo
sidewinder
CC BEC
55T integy

this sounds like a plan.

funny story is.. that is what I am going to run on my next Land Rover scale project going on..

Last edited by jmizoguchi; 02-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
The 5700 is probably WAY too fast for any crawler. The kv rating is, effectively, the RPM per volt...........so with a 5700kv @ 7.4V (for example), you are looking at 42000 RPM. As a comparison, a 45T brushed motor would run somewhere around 9000-9500 RPM @ 7.4V.
Probably way too fast is understatment. I don't think it has power to crawl it at all.. not torque...

I ran 4200kv on my kyosho inferno runs 32mph but this not crawler..ahah...

Last edited by jmizoguchi; 02-25-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Just my opinion, and not to be mistaken for the way you should go........

If you already have a 55T motor, then keep it and use it. Might as well try it out and see how you like it. If you feel the need to change up in the future, then leave that to the future. Trying to "predict" how it will work for you before actually testing it would be a waste.

On top of that, you have a 2S, 1800MAH LiPo. That will work for now. Again, try it out and see how you like it. If you feel you need more wheelspeed in the future, "volting up" to a 3S (11.4V) is always an option for the future. You have what you have, try it out before trying to predict what you will need.

From there, and once again just how I would go............I would look into a CC Sidewinder, a CC BEC, and a CC Castle Link. Probably about $120 for the complete combo. This gives you the ability of having an ESC that is ready and capable of changing up to 3S if you want, or brushless if you want, in the future, while nicely driving what you already have now. The CC BEC eliminates any worries that you would have in regards to powering your servos. With adjustable voltage and 10 amp capability, you don't have to think about straining your servos for juice. The Castle Link gives you the ability to adjust either the ESC and the BEC very easily and effectively. I have only just started playing around with the adjustable throttle curve on the Sidewinder, and it is just a whole new world as to how an ESC operates.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just my opinion, and not to be mistaken for the way you should go........

If you already have a 55T motor, then keep it and use it. Might as well try it out and see how you like it. If you feel the need to change up in the future, then leave that to the future. Trying to "predict" how it will work for you before actually testing it would be a waste.

On top of that, you have a 2S, 1800MAH LiPo. That will work for now. Again, try it out and see how you like it. If you feel you need more wheelspeed in the future, "volting up" to a 3S (11.4V) is always an option for the future. You have what you have, try it out before trying to predict what you will need.

From there, and once again just how I would go............I would look into a CC Sidewinder, a CC BEC, and a CC Castle Link. Probably about $120 for the complete combo. This gives you the ability of having an ESC that is ready and capable of changing up to 3S if you want, or brushless if you want, in the future, while nicely driving what you already have now. The CC BEC eliminates any worries that you would have in regards to powering your servos. With adjustable voltage and 10 amp capability, you don't have to think about straining your servos for juice. The Castle Link gives you the ability to adjust either the ESC and the BEC very easily and effectively. I have only just started playing around with the adjustable throttle curve on the Sidewinder, and it is just a whole new world as to how an ESC operates.
that is well said.... did you use to get A++ on essay? ahah.. couldn't be any better
Old 02-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I've had bad experience with every novak ESC I've ever used, both a rooster crawler and a super sport. They were both very glitchy (especially the SS) and the SS literally came apart in a crash. The castle stuff has treated me much better, I now have mamba max's in every single car I have and love them. The added flexability of the CC stuff (higher voltage capacity, computer programmability, etc..) makes them worth it IMHO. A CC BEC is 25 bucks extra, which will definitely give you enough power for your servos. Honestly, I'll probably be castle for life.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjlittle View Post
I've had bad experience with every novak ESC I've ever used, both a rooster crawler and a super sport. They were both very glitchy (especially the SS) and the SS literally came apart in a crash. The castle stuff has treated me much better, I now have mamba max's in every single car I have and love them. The added flexability of the CC stuff (higher voltage capacity, computer programmability, etc..) makes them worth it IMHO. A CC BEC is 25 bucks extra, which will definitely give you enough power for your servos. Honestly, I'll probably be castle for life.
my 4200KV +Mamba 25 with 3s lipo pull 32mph.. what kind RC car you run on Mamba Max? 5700 + one?

"I think I would proud to say CC for life " too!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
what kind RC car you run on Mamba Max? 5700 + one?
XXX-t, MM+castle 5700 motor, 6c nimh
Crawler, MM+35t warrior+3c lipo
Scaler, (under construction) MM+undecided motor+maybe 4c lipo?
You'd be amazed how good a crawler ESC the MM is. I seriously have never had a single glitch, and I don't even have motor caps. I know it's more than the sidewinder, but the sidewinder wasn't available when I bought mine. Also nice that they have a usb port and you don't need the castle link (had to buy it for the BEC anyways)
Old 02-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
XXX-t, MM+castle 5700 motor, 6c nimh
Crawler, MM+35t warrior+3c lipo
Scaler, (under construction) MM+undecided motor+maybe 4c lipo?
You'd be amazed how good a crawler ESC the MM is. I seriously have never had a single glitch, and I don't even have motor caps. I know it's more than the sidewinder, but the sidewinder wasn't available when I bought mine. Also nice that they have a usb port and you don't need the castle link (had to buy it for the BEC anyways)
Nice... I got 4200 KV for 20bucs from CC direct. still deal going.

I ran MM +55T 3lipo with CC BEC on my crawler.
I think sidewinder are darn good for scaler for me too... can't wait next month for 25% off deal from CC direct http://www.castlecreations.com/promo.../usa_sale.html
Old 02-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Also nice that they have a usb port and you don't need the castle link (had to buy it for the BEC anyways)
Once again, me just talking out of my butt.

IMO, the MM comes with a [retail value] $21 value Castle Link built into it. This is great if this the only CC product you own that would benefit from computer adjustability. But, if you decide to go with other CC products, a Castle Link is a great tool to use, and will need to be purchased separately. Just my opinion, but I would think that the cost of the castle link is built into the MM cost, which if you don't need it due to purchasing a separate castle link, then that is money put into part of a product that you didn't need to purchase. I.E. if you buy a MM and a Castle Link for something else, IMO, you bought two Castle Links.

And at the end of the day, the MM only has a built-in 3A (with a standard 5V) BEC, which is tiny when compared to what you can accomplish with a separate voltage regulator [CC BEC].

Just for the adjustability (and yes I know that isn't a real word ), for $120, I would purchase the SW/BEC/CL combo over the MM by itself.

To Note: I have never run a MM personally, so I may be WAY off in my opinion.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Once again, me just talking out of my butt.

IMO, the MM comes with a [retail value] $21 value Castle Link built into it. This is great if this the only CC product you own that would benefit from computer adjustability. But, if you decide to go with other CC products, a Castle Link is a great tool to use, and will need to be purchased separately. Just my opinion, but I would think that the cost of the castle link is built into the MM cost, which if you don't need it due to purchasing a separate castle link, then that is money put into part of a product that you didn't need to purchase. I.E. if you buy a MM and a Castle Link for something else, IMO, you bought two Castle Links.

And at the end of the day, the MM only has a built-in 3A (with a standard 5V) BEC, which is tiny when compared to what you can accomplish with a separate voltage regulator [CC BEC].

Just for the adjustability (and yes I know that isn't a real word ), for $120, I would purchase the SW/BEC/CL combo over the MM by itself.

To Note: I have never run a MM personally, so I may be WAY off in my opinion.
Quote:
I know it's more than the sidewinder, but the sidewinder wasn't available when I bought mine.
I actually have the castle bec also, so I guess I've spent too damn much money. That said, the MM's BEC is stronger than the sidewinder. My thing is at this point, the MM works so well I can't see any reason to buy anything else, especially considering I already have 3 for the 3 rigs I have right now.

To note: I've never run a Sidewinder personally, so that's why I wasn't plugging it. I know a few people who have them, but I try to refrain from "my buddy says..." type comments
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I bought MM first and I was happy but when I had to CC BEC , I had to get Castlink as well so cost more but I also got M25 later my RC Card and need it castlink any way so all paying off good . I wish MM was cheaper without built in usb so that I would use castlink instead to save some money . when I have to use rest of products with castle link...

"SW/BEC/CL combo " sounds like winner to me.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:58 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
To note: I've never run a Sidewinder personally, so that's why I wasn't plugging it. I know a few people who have them, but I try to refrain from "my buddy says..." type comments
I do the same. From internet forum, and business, experience, I try not to make any definite statements, even when I know exactly what I am talking about. You will find my posts littered with statements to make it clear that I am just expressing an opinion, and none of what I say should be taken as fact. I would advise to look into any I say with a grain of salt, and then research it, and see if it works for you. I sure as heck don't want someone to spend hard earned money because of something I suggested, then find it didn't work for them, and then they blame me.

I hope you didn't take any offense to what I was saying above, I was actually just agreeing with you about the fact that you have to purchase a separate CL anyway if you want to run anything besides a MM. I was really running with what you stated, but in the way I responded it may of come across as I was debating you, which I really wasn't.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
I do the same. From internet forum, and business, experience, I try not to make any definite statements, even when I know exactly what I am talking about. You will find my posts littered with statements to make it clear that I am just expressing an opinion, and none of what I say should be taken as fact. I would advise to look into any I say with a grain of salt, and then research it, and see if it works for you. I sure as heck don't want someone to spend hard earned money because of something I suggested, then find it didn't work for them, and then they blame me.

I hope you didn't take any offense to what I was saying above, I was actually just agreeing with you about the fact that you have to purchase a separate CL anyway if you want to run anything besides a MM. I was really running with what you stated, but in the way I responded it may of come across as I was debating you, which I really wasn't.
No offense taken, I actually like a good debate, even if you weren't debating me.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

AWESOME!!!!!! thanks for all the GREAT reply's!!

I am not going to try and predict the future and I am going to use my original 55t motor and just start with the sidewinder.

Castle Creations seams like the $hit huh!?

so here is the layout

sidewinder
CC BEC
2s Lipo (7.4v) for now but loving the idea of 11v in the future!

and only 120 for sidewinder and BEC thats such a sweet deal.
thank god! no no no thank Castle!!

So with the sidewinder what kinda braking can I expect to be able to use with my Brushed motor?

thanks again for the help!