Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need some direction...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Need some direction...

okay i'm going to apologize first. I know these are aggrivating newbie questions but I have read a LOT and am trying to weed through the overwhelming information on this site.

I want to build a rounded 2.2 rig. I would like it to look fairly realisitc

I have rc experience but almost entirely nitro (electrics 15 yrs ago).

I am trying to keep this semi-low budget with a LONG runtime.

there are hundreds of options for every piece of these trucks so i need to pick some parts and order...

Here is my question if i buy the following will i be close to putting together a truck?

-4000ish Ni-Mh battery (a nice one)
-reign scale chassis
-integy 55t motor
-either tlt or axial axles (prob. axial b\c still in production)
-a stampede trans.
-esc- i want to be able to do mud and water somewhat so idk what esc...?
-I have a spare traxxas tq3 radio\transmitter
-i suppose t-maxx shocks XX-L or no??
-the right links needed from traxxas

I'm anxious to start a custom project like this but i'm concerned to start ordering expensive parts and end up with stuff i don't need. THANK YOU in advance.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would skip the pede transmission,the Axial AX10 transmission is awesome and way smaller.Another recommendation is the MFM chassis.it has a million holes so you can play with different setups and find what works best for you,then transfer that setup over to a K2 chassis.Look for a 200+ oz steering servo and someone else will recommend waterproof electronics,next,,,,,,,,,,
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I'd go with an Axial tranny instead of the Stampede. It's smaller, lighter and cheaper.
Associated/LRP have some ESCs that are waterproof. And you can get one that won't 'break the bank'.
Don't forget wheels and tires and a steering servo.

Otherwise, everything seems to look good...
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #4

i'm a newbie too. I'd go with the axial axles. they got good link and shock mounts. You can use 3 link or easily make a 4 link bracket
xtremecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ax10 kit, and from there, you can go any direction you want.
Flatcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I am completely new to this aspect of rc - done just about everything else. I was going to build a custom tlt/SW3 chassis but for the money and availability the Axial is the way to go. If you are lucky enough to find the tlt ales you will pay. Sure you can find a whole kit, but why buy older technology and mod it when you can have new stuff that is ready to go?!?!?!?
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #7
Nor-CalRCRC

You talk about a scale chassis but don't mention if you had a body in mind. The Axial axles are nice but wider than tlt's. The width of the body you choose may make a difference in what axles will work best (if you are going for more of a scale appearance).

A 4000mah nimh battery is pretty heavy from a performance standpoint if it's up in the chassis like on a scale chassis. A 4000mah lipo might be a good way to get the best of both worlds.

Also you say that you want it to be pretty well rounded. Higher voltage like a 3s lipo will get you some good wheelspeed and still have some crawlability without being as heavy as an 8cell 4000mah nimh batt.

Last edited by montereycrawler; 02-25-2008 at 09:05 PM.
montereycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

thanks you guys for your replies!

I know some of this seems obvious but I haven't had an electric rc since i was 10...

let me be more specific about the scale appearance- it doesn't need to look 100% like real truck (tamiya highlift ford\toyota) I just really like it when the wheels fit the wheelwells more proportionately (like basically every truck in the 2.2 gallery) and not look like a silly toy like my revo\savage...
and it doesn't need to climb over ANYTHING just be impressive.

one more question- I thought about just getting the axial kit however- isn't that a strictly slow going chassis and also a bit long for the more scale look??

also is there an easy way to track down parts from 20 different rcs? ebay seems like the only viable option just sucks to pay shipping on each of the needed parts...

again sorry for the newbie ques. but I promise I have been reading searches for HOURS and HOURS and I just find new questions
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereycrawler View Post
A 4000mah nimh battery is pretty heavy from a performance standpoint if it's up in the chassis like on a scale chassis. A 4000mah lipo might be a good way to get the best of both worlds.

Also you say that you want it to be pretty well rounded. Higher voltage like a 3s lipo will get you some good wheelspeed and still have some crawlability without being as heavy as an 8cell 4000mah nimh batt.
I'm with him on this one. another thing to consider is that these things run longer than you might imagine, I'm getting close to 2 hours out of a 3c 2100mah pack, even with a 35t motor. It all depends on how you drive it, but I see no reason to sacrifice performance (yes, a big SC pack will hinder performance noticeably) so you can have ridiculous run times. Just get two smaller batteries and call it a day.

Check out stormer hobbies, the crawler store, RPP hobby, RCP hobby etc...Most of the vendors on this site keep up with what we use, and stock most, if not all of it. that'll cut down on your shipping a lot. Also, all of the supporting vendors I've used are top notch. You'll be hard pressed to find faster shipping than RPP, or better customer support than Holmes Hobbies.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote