Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Droop or Springed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Droop or Springed

im working on a comper for the new crawler site set up here at woodville and i need to know should i run droop or springs with a body'd crawler

heres some of the course

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHy0FLkHDs&feature=user
SaVaGe MaN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

that all depends on your driving style. I prefer sprung
Dickie691986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would run a sprung set-up with a reasonable amount of belly clearance for that terrain. I've found that dragging the belly of a rig over those types of rocks can cause it to slide unpredictably. You might end up pointing 90% in the wrong direction as you slide over the point of those bricks.

Last edited by kawika; 03-06-2008 at 09:01 PM.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie691986 View Post
that all depends on your driving style. I prefer sprung

whats sprung offer that droop doesn't other than gc
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaVaGe MaN SS View Post
control
gadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

In my experience I've found that I prefer sprung. Droop is great but its just not for me. We're finding out with the blackjack chassis that even though it was designed with droop in mind its kicking ass as a sprung setup. While one guy locally has a drooped SW2 which was designed for sprung suspension but it drives great. So it really (in my opinion) comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Obviously you can get more breakover angle from sprung but droop rigs will set you lower making the rig more stable.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaVaGe MaN SS View Post
like gadge said control. by using different springs you can decide on how firm or soft you want your suspension
Dickie691986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie691986 View Post
by using different springs you can decide on how firm or soft you want your suspension
By using different springs and oils, a droop shock is just as adjustable.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
RCC Addict

"springed" is now one of my favorite words.

best thing I tell people.... TRY BOTH. set it up with "springed" suspension, go out, crawl it- try and remember your lines good and bad. Then set it up "unspringed" and repeat those lines. dont worry too much about tuning, just get the general feel of each suspension. figure out which suits your driving style and terrain best, then start to fine tune and get it all dialed it.

p!nk
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post

best thing I tell people.... TRY BOTH. set it up with "springed" suspension, go out, crawl it- try and remember your lines good and bad. Then set it up "unspringed" and repeat those lines. dont worry too much about tuning, just get the general feel of each suspension. figure out which suits your driving style and terrain best, then start to fine tune and get it all dialed it.

p!nk
As I am still a noob to crawling I cannot say personally. But, I am more of a fan of having restrictive forces pushing a wheel into a groove or recess. I know unsprung will hold a better COG, but it seems that there is a bit of resistance in having the shock uptravel to make the section. Although you sacrifice a bit of clearance without a spring, most love it. I would say (like I need to do) try them both and find what you like.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post

p!nk

yeah haha i was in a rush b4 going to work so that was the first word that popped into my head, but ive been runnin droop suspension on my 4runner scaler n many others, but since this new rock course opened up ive been more intrested in 2.2 comps, i have all 1.9s rock rigs.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Everyone should try both just to see. I think I prefer a very low ride height sprung suspension the most (soft springs, thick oil)...but unsprung droop is also pretty fun to drive. You can't learn unless you try it, and trying different setups puts a lot of fun into it.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote