Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial AX10 Build Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 12:54 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial AX10 Build Advice

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this site (signed up tonight) and hobby. I've been researching a crawler build for the past month and think I've decided on the AX10 for my first 2.2 crawler project. I figure a kit would be a good idea as it seems pretty straightforward for a newbie. Also, I'm fortunate enough to live a few miles away from CKRC and they've already given me quite a bit of good info. This build would be for recreation and hopefully some future comps. I would appreciate any feedback on these specs as I know quite a few of you already have a wealth of knowledge.
The build specs are listed below.

CKRC:
(1) Axial scorpion crawler kit
(1) CKRC stage 2 suspension kit.(no bent links)
(1) Pair of CKRC aluminum upper 3 link connectors
(1) Futaba/Hitec/or Airtronics 2ch am radio with servos
(1) Hitec hs645mg servo
(1) Hitec aluminum servo arm.
(1) Castle Creations sidewinder speed control with drag brake
(1) Novak or integy 55t crawler motor
(1) CKRC 6 cell Split battery pack to mount on the front axle
(1) Pair of CKRC split battery axle plates
(1) Delta peak Quick charger
(2) Pairs of Proline Moab m3 tires

CKRC Rockstar chassis
Hard Anodized Aluminum Transmission gears
Axial Aluminum Shock Bodies

RC4WD:
2x Pair C-Hub for AX10 (Left & Right Side)
1x RC4WD Straight Axle Shaft (Left & Right)
2x Straight Axle Adaptor
2x RC4WD Punisher Shaft for AX10
1x Transmission Housing for AX10 (2 Pieces)
1x RC4WD TracGear for AX10 1x Bevel Shaft
1x Pair Knuckles (Left & Right Side)

Thnx.
-T
timspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Check out the LOSI Rock Crawls for tires, dont forget to cut your foam inside the tire out, kind of a star patterns but more triangles, you're lucky to live near CKRC, no shipping costs and possibly cheap prices... It will be a nice setup when done with everything you want.
ForumSn0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Retype your first post with the normal font and I will try to read it again later. Hurts my eyes.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

One bit of advice with CKRC, if you are going to buy one of their kits like you listed buy it through the web site. They will charge you $100+ more if you walk into the shop and buy it.

Here's some more detailed info from the RCC feedback forums:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...highlight=ckrc

Last edited by Philistine; 03-08-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Philistine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks like you have a nice line up of parts, most of which are more bling than anything. I use all stock plastic except the trans gears and I have climbed plenty and tumbled all the way down plenty, all on stock plastic and still yet to break anything.

For batteries, go lipo, SO MUCH BETTER, and 1 hr run times. For the rest of you electrics your gtg there. I use the Rooster ESC but castle is just as good if not better.

For tires, someone already posted this, BUT FORGET THE MOABS, Losi Rock Claws or Badlands, best tires out there for grip.

The gears are Hot Racing but heck if I can remember for what RC, price is about norm though. Shock tubes are a good one but more bling than anything to me.

The CKRC Stuff: DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE STAGE 2, its HPI springs and some screws you can get at the LHS for like $10 at most and you'll have extras. Then of course the bent links are all over the place. The new upper shafts you get with it are over-rated, i dont use them I just put a spacer in the end and that was plenty, crawls Awesome. GOTTA WATCH CKRC, the parts they offer are either from other RCs or aren't near the upgrade they put them off as. I was rather PO'd when I got my Stage 2 kit which is why even though I want the rockstar frame, I wont buy it. Cause they charge $40 for something that I could have gone to my LHS and got everything and more for half that much.

Sorry but I have been taken in the past on my first heli by a company pulling the same thing, so I have no patience for it now.

Fancy stuff is nice, but not really needed, my AX10 runs right with a couple guys that do competitions. I dont have the wheel speed since like you I run an integy 55t, but high wheel speed means crap climbing over and up as a couple times i climbed over them in the process. Granted their set up for comp courses, I am set up for the terrain we were on, but still. Dont spend money you dont need to, save it for more crawlers, I am much happier that way and bet you would be too.
Mav-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:28 AM   #6

You have many Parts in your Stock monted.
Great
Jugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Here are my recommendations:
I would recommened getting a radio without servos since they will be useless on your truck anyways. That frees up a but more $$$ for a better servo. I cant recommend a 645 for any crawler, just not nearly enough power to turn the tires and the gears strip easily. I would get a hitec 5955t servo. I would also skip the moabs and go for some proline badlands or losi rock claws. Another thing i would skip would be the aluminum 3 link peices and go with TCS boomerang in the rear and 4 link mount up front. Another thing i would skip is the aluminum shock bodies. Too much $$$ when you can get some traxxas bigbores for the same $$$ and get a Far better shock. I would also go with a 7 cell pack. My ax10 is pretty much setup this way and it is very competetive, even with the stock chassis

Good luck!
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

my advice? first, type in a regular font size.

next, research each and every part you have on that list before dropping any coin. You will find alot of those parts are sub par, over priced, or not even needed for a capable rig.

Spend less time typing big huge wish-lists and more time researching the parts you want or think you need.

welcome to the board

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I'm definitely going to look around this site some more before I purchase anything or make any final decisions. I was afraid that some of the parts on my list were more 'bling' than actual performance upgrades. I would rather put the money into parts that will make it perform/crawl better. I may lean towards starting out mostly stock with some upgraded electronics and losi rock claws - see how it does and then kind of go from there. I don't want to go to overboard at first, as parts can sure add up quickly.
Again, thanks for your replies - I appreciate it.

-T
timspr is offline   Reply With Quote