Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Whats the most common Charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Whats the most common Charger?

I know that has been asked a thousand times but when I searched I couldn't find the aswers to my questions.

I Do not like the charger I have now and wonder if what I got is as good as they get and what you guys are using and how you like them?
I have an Imex B6. It was at my LHS as a possible new carried product. I was the first to but one. It has to have a power supply and has a max output rating of 5 amps. It can charge lipo, life, pb, nicd and nimh. Lipo's up to 6s with a built in balancer. My beef is that this the most sofisticated charger I've ever owned and it confuses the hell out off me!
Do all of these new lipo chargers have the same "gotta know all about battery charging" mentality? I got 4 buttons on this thing and 5 battery type and like 20 menues and can't seem to figue this thing out.
Tell me should I take this thing back and hope they let me trade it in on something easier to use or just lean more about it?
jeepfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek View Post
I know that has been asked a thousand times but when I searched I couldn't find the aswers to my questions.

I Do not like the charger I have now and wonder if what I got is as good as they get and what you guys are using and how you like them?
I have an Imex B6. It was at my LHS as a possible new carried product. I was the first to but one. It has to have a power supply and has a max output rating of 5 amps. It can charge lipo, life, pb, nicd and nimh. Lipo's up to 6s with a built in balancer. My beef is that this the most sofisticated charger I've ever owned and it confuses the hell out off me!
Do all of these new lipo chargers have the same "gotta know all about battery charging" mentality? I got 4 buttons on this thing and 5 battery type and like 20 menues and can't seem to figue this thing out.
Tell me should I take this thing back and hope they let me trade it in on something easier to use or just lean more about it?
you mean IMAX B6?
what kind of batterys are you charging? nicd, nimh, or lipo.

its nice to have something that doesnt limit your options. my pirahna charger is very nice but i cant charge lipos i have a cheap cell phone style lipo charger that takes 30 minutes to charge my dynamite 1900mah 2cell lipo.
12flex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm trying to charge LIpo's as well as my old nicd and the nimh and lipo packs for my mini LST2. It seems to work but It is so un-user freindly it sucks. And yes, IMAX B6, typo sorry.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

from my quick research on google. it looks like the IMAX B6 is awesome. maybe not the most user friendly but since it can do all those different types of battterys with one charger. id keep it and learn how to master it.

just my 2 cents
Old 03-08-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

You can't go wrong with a Hyperion. These things are SLICK! I'm currently using a Hyperion EOS0606I AC/DC I'm quite certain this little jewel will charge anything I'll ever want to charge in an RC car.

One thing I learned the hard way.....a GOOD charger and good cells will make ya or break ya in electric RC. Having good stuff to charge with and good cells will make a night and day difference.

I do believe though that your better off getting a better charger and decent cells over a decent charger and TOP notch cells. I've seen it first hand. Cheap cells will take a better charge off a good charger than a cheap charger will give TOP notch cells.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12flex View Post
from my quick research on google. it looks like the IMAX B6 is awesome. maybe not the most user friendly but since it can do all those different types of battterys with one charger. id keep it and learn how to master it.

just my 2 cents

Do you have any actual information based on YOUR experience? Or are you just spouting off drivel you pick up on Google?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Do you have any actual information based on YOUR experience? Or are you just spouting off drivel you pick up on Google?

like i said already "from my quick research on google. it looks like the IMAX B6 is awesome."

from what i read the reason I think its a good charger......... is cause its able to charge, balance and discharge Lion, LiPo, LiFe (A123), NiCd and NiMH batteries.

the amount of options you get, point blank makes it a good charger. now for how user friendly it is. i have no clue. but the facts are there for anyone to read to determine rather or not if its a decent charger.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
ghetto fabulous newbie

I am running a Hyperion EOS606I AC/DC also, its awesome, very easy to use and works great.
yotachump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
the amount of options you get, point blank makes it a good charger.
No it doesn't.

My Triton charger claims it'll do lipo's. Thats funny...every lipo but 2 that I've hooked to it....it's swelled the cells up twice their size. Nothing but NiMH get hooked to it from now on. Works good with NiMH cells but I won't get a lipo withing 4 feet of it
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

the triton charger Handles LiPo batteries with up to 5-cells in series

:edit: and i thought we were talking about the IMAX B6 not your triton charger.

Last edited by 12flex; 03-08-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
the triton charger Handles LiPo batteries with up to 5-cells in series
Maybe yours will.

I'm not gonna throw anymore lipo's away cause the charger blows them up. Charging on the Hyperion is a simpe 3 step process and I get a GREAT charge EVERYTIME.

Quote:
:edit: and i thought we were talking about the IMAX B6 not your triton charger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfreek View Post

I Do not like the charger I have now and wonder if what I got is as good as they get and what you guys are using and how you like them?............
He's asking for options
Old 03-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I currently have a Super Brain 960, it is a great charger if you are NOT doing LiPo's. I have been researching chargers and I have found that the Hyperion chargers are the most popular. I think I am going to go for the EOS 5i DP, and add a balancer. I should be able to do this for under a 100 bucks. You can the Hyperion EOS0610I for around 150-170. That is allot of loot though. This charger will only be for my crawler and radio stuff. My RC arsenal consists of mostly Nitro stuff.
cruciface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:14 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I like the Hyperion 0606i for small packs and everyday use. Just a few quick button presses will charge anything. I use the 0610i for larger packs needing more wattage. It has memory functions which makes it easy to use after setup- it also has a ton of info on the pack while balancing and charging. Battery resistance is one cool feature.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Ok, I just got so frustrated today that I went back to the LHS and got the whole tutorial on this Imax B6. It's going to work out after all, I think. After setting down with the owner and a few of the other guys there I think my problem has been just me. I was upset for this simple reason so somone explain in some dumb words whats right and wrong. I receatly just started to use this thing other than just look at it on my bench. Last night I was going to charge up a brand new 8 cell saddle pack for the AX10, Elite 1300mah 2/3 a cells. At the first charge I charged them at .5a and they fultedabout 15 mins in. I discarged them with the charger at 1a and that took about 45-60 mins. Second attempt was at 1.2a, that took about 60-90 mins. I'm told that some new cells have a "burp" and that the fault was normal. during this whole event I'm trying to watch the capacity limit, I had that set at 1300 mah, the capacity of the battery. At no time did that reading reach 1300 mah, fist charge was about 600, the second was about 900? I've read these forums and have seen the readouts from some of these chargers with this style cell pack and from what i've seen you guys are filling these things up to like 2500mah capcity! What gives? I was told today that the capcity reading is not an accurate judge of the Fullness" of the battery and that what I'm reading is a factor of time and charge rate, is this true? As long winded as I am hopefully this will shed light on what my problem is.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 AM   #15

That`s in Time my Favorit.
Simprop Intelli Bi Power Special with balancer
Jugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm glad you kept the charger. Unfortunately as options/features are added complexity usually goes up.

You are correct in that the display is merely a function of rate x time and as the rate gets lowered, the total will increase.

At a 1C rate it can be 100% of capacity with dead battery, but at a c/10 rate it can be 150%.

At .5 amps the capacity of battery should be 1300 or so.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Glad to hear you got good support from your LHS. Yet another reason to buy local and support a hobby shop that takes care of you. Should you change your mind, I'll throw in another vote for the Hyperion 0606i. It's almost too simple to use!
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote