Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: I'm so confused!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default I'm so confused!!!!

I've just got my ax-10 up and running for about a week and I love it, But the hotrodder in me says that it can always be better. So frist what I have is a stock ax-10 cut foams and drilled one hole in each rim(not sure if this was the best thing to do? seems like the tires fold up to much?) I have the Momba max, a cc bec, the Novak fifty-five, a JR Z650M, aluim servo arm, and just a 7.2 stick pack that is for a friend.

So my problem is that after reading so much on here that I have seem to confuse myself as to what to get for my rig!! I want a tuber but cant see spending to much on one, So I think the edge LOOKs good for the price, But can it compete with the hustler2.2 witch I love the look of but thats a big price tag(dont think the wife would be happpy if you know what i mean!!) or should I get the ckrc stage 2 kit with bent links? But then what about shocks? I like the internal spring look but don't know witch ones will fit. I also need the better hopups you know all the aluim stuff, knuckels c's rear lock outs O and then theres the dig or is rear steer better? Not sure if I will ever be in comps or not so thats a posiblity to. I guess that what I'm saying is HELP!!!!

Sorry so long but I'm new to the crawlin thing O and I dont know anything about electic rc's but I'm ready to learn and think it time to upgrade and now I'm lost.....:-(
blackcatnastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 12:25 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Well I had the Edge chassis and is it comp worthy, yes, are there better chassis out there ya and I'm running one now because I couldn't hang with the stock axial because I had a higher CG with the edge and I didn't like the droop suspension. I personally think buy the stage 2 kit from CKRC is a waste of money, its will do a lot performance wise for your ax10 but if you have a local hobby shop you can peice it together for way less than what there asking for it, if you dont have a local hobby shop I would say order it. Shocks are up to you the axials will work if your not running internal springs or if you are I would glue the tops on, but if you want a nice set of shock get the Traxxas big bore XXl's they are nice and only a little shorter than the axial shocks. Hop ups, I would buy some aluminum knuckles, aluminum C's and a straigh axle adaptor. Dig vs Rear steer well only DIG is comp leagal and is more versital than rear steer so I would go with the DIG and VF makes a nice one from what I have seen (I am waiting for mine).

This is all my opinion, take it how you will. Most of this stuff are things I have learned by trial and error and a few things are what I have learned from what I have read. I hope I helped you in some way.

Justin
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for responding. So is there a better tuber that dont have the price that the hustlier 2.2 caries couse I really want a tuber. I do have a LHS but for sme reasoin the guy isnt much help. :-( He just says that he don't know anything about crawlin and they have started to make me feel like they only wat my money. Hell in the last 2 months i bet i've spent almost 2 grand in there store. LOL. But as They say I've got money burning a hole in my pocket Just wish I could figure out what to get..........
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

dude, why dont you just build your own chassis it would be fun and then you can spend your money on other parts. if i were you, i would try and run the stock chassis and invest in a dig tranny. also some good tires. i like ckrc's shocks.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I do work at a machine shop and thats a possiblity. I just dont want to be buyin the same parts over and over (just changing brands or upgradeing) Did that with my nitro buggy and now I have over a grand in it and I could of had one 3 time better than it for 300 less you know. I am just looking for some one to piont me in the right dirrection......
Old 03-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

WHAT DO YOU WANT EXACTLY figure out what you want, think about it and then post your questions. we are not mind readers.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I want a dam good rig (ie the right parts the first time around) that could hold its own in comps if I can find some in my area. You know I don't want the rig to be the reasion I lost kind of thing. What I don't know is if most parts are interchangesble or if this must go with that type of deal....

Like take shocks for instince I've read many times Taxxas big bores so when I told my LHS guy, he asked witch ones? I'm like the alumin ones, He LOL and said there are MANY diff ones!!! Diff lenths and such.....

I hate feeling like a DUMASS not knowing what to get or even close to what I need to have a great rig...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I was thinking something like this ,
axial drivetrain, the electrionics I have now, a nice tuber(?), losi rock claws, mem foam(?), the 5955 servo for steering take the one I have now put on dig, VF dig(?),alumin knucks,c's,strights for rear(WHO's or were to get these is something I need help with!) anything else I'm forgeting?
Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM   #9

I have an addiction to tcscrawlers.com Little things like internal shock springs and such are all layed out for you in the AX10 section. They have a ton of cool stuff for your rig including tube frames and bolt ons for your stock chassis.
trevorcfvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

thanks I'll check them out. There is just so many diff parts out there I dont know who to go with.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Well You are off to a good start but as you will see on here a lot of people have over 1000 dollars in there rigs and thats buying the right stuff the first time lol. An ESC, good Radio and the ax10 kit has already set ya back 600 bucks lol unless you already have a good radio and ESC. I dont know about the tuber thing I only ran the edge so I cannot vouch for other tubers. I am running the Blackjack Chassis from RCP and it is awesome. I have been testing it (with droop until my new shocks come in) and so far it is way more stable than my edge ever thought about being. I can climb and sidehill way better than my edge would do.

On to things you want to buy, from your list I think your off to a good start and know what you want which is good. The Badlands are some pretty awesome tire (what I run) to think about and proline is selling them with memory foam (i am pretty sure not positive though). The Hitec 5955tg servo is a monster, I am running it on my rig and have never been in a situation where I didn't have enough power to turn the tires even with 12oz in each front tire. If you plan on buying the VF dig you will have to buy a Hitec 225 servo to shift it so your old one wont work, as for dig you have four options, VF dig, RC4wd R2D, or TCS is offering one or build your own, from what I have seen and heard I bought a VF. Aluminum parts, I would either go with RCpcrawlers.com or RC4wd.com knuckles, c's and straight axle adaptor.

Again this is my opinion so take it as you will and correct me if I'm wrong.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatnastang View Post
I've just got my ax-10 up and running for about a week and I love it, But the hotrodder in me says that it can always be better. So frist what I have is a stock ax-10 cut foams and drilled one hole in each rim(not sure if this was the best thing to do? seems like the tires fold up to much?) I have the Momba max, a cc bec, the Novak fifty-five, a JR Z650M, aluim servo arm, and just a 7.2 stick pack that is for a friend.

So my problem is that after reading so much on here that I have seem to confuse myself as to what to get for my rig!! I want a tuber but cant see spending to much on one, So I think the edge LOOKs good for the price, But can it compete with the hustler2.2 witch I love the look of but thats a big price tag(dont think the wife would be happpy if you know what i mean!!) or should I get the ckrc stage 2 kit with bent links? But then what about shocks? I like the internal spring look but don't know witch ones will fit. I also need the better hopups you know all the aluim stuff, knuckels c's rear lock outs O and then theres the dig or is rear steer better? Not sure if I will ever be in comps or not so thats a posiblity to. I guess that what I'm saying is HELP!!!!

Sorry so long but I'm new to the crawlin thing O and I dont know anything about electic rc's but I'm ready to learn and think it time to upgrade and now I'm lost.....:-(
if you are wanting a tuber at a good price check out http://www.sinastir-crawlers.com/page1.html they have the x-51 for 99.99
bulzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

What I would suggest is first search this website for ideas. See if you can find some other people in your state or area who also have crawlers and see what set-ups they run. Then I'd suggest you start with these mods: Lower it with the rubber spacer inside the shock instead of outside the shock, RCP straight axle adapter and Straight axle shafts (aka rear lockouts) and Traxxas Stampede axles and steel yokes for the stock driveshafts. Then drive it alot. Next update would be better tires, most people like the Losi's or Pro-line's. Then drive it alot. Fix things as they break with better parts like aluminum knuckles and axle c's. If you can afford it, get better electronics. Then, after you drive it alot more, try a new chassis or tuber. I would not just throw a bunch of money on it only to find out what does not work in your area.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the replays guys. This is the kind of help I was looking for( this is a great site ) That sinastir looks like what I was wanting to run!! and it seems as if RCP is the company I will go with. And I want to get the parts now while I have the MONEY (incometax) but I deff change one part at a time. Thats the only way to know if it works or not, Like I said I am a hotrodder so wrenchin is most of the fun.

RaleighRCer is there something in my electrionics that should be beter? Other than the TX,RX....
Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Dam RCP seems to be out of stock on most of the stuff I want to get......

Also can someone link me for what the think is the best split pack batts to go onn the front axle Thanks again
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatnastang View Post
Dam RCP seems to be out of stock on most of the stuff I want to get......

Also can someone link me for what the think is the best split pack batts to go onn the front axle Thanks again
these work great and TCS has super fast shipping:

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-6-cel...n-p-16619.html
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #17
Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimmy View Post
The Hitec 5955tg servo is a monster, I am running it on my rig and have never been in a situation where I didn't have enough power to turn the tires even with 12oz in each front tire.
Again this is my opinion so take it as you will and correct me if I'm wrong.
You're wrong... J/K My 5955 THROWS my 2.2 Crushers around like they aren't shit on my scaler. Just be careful because the digital servos aren't linear. If you turn the wheel on your transmitter and you don't have a good bec rating or an external bec and you get your truck in a bind it will lock your truck up. Ask bloodclod... I personally run mine off of a reciever pack.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Well I just ordered ALOT of stuff from ckrc.
1) 8cell 1500 crawler pack
1) dtxp4005 Duratrax Pirahna charger
1) VF's Axial scoripion Front Dig Assem
1) ax10 anodized aluminum transmission housing
1) Hitec hs 225mg servo
1) upgraded hd driveshaft and yoke kit
2) axial driveshaft rings
1) axial stage 2 competition upgrade kit (with bent links)
1) chrc (4) 120mm threaded aluminum shock set
1) aluminum upper 3-link connector (2)
1) aluminum upper 3-link mounts (2)
1) aluminum axle C'c
1) aluminum high angle knuckles
1) rear straight axle kit with stainless shafts
2) losi rock claws

Think that covers just about everything you can change LOL, I'll just try to make my own tuber off of the axile. Just hope the servo I hve now can last for a coupe of months, Wife not happy with another $550 on a rc LOL
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Electronics look fine, sorry about that, it was the way I upgraded my Ax-10. I learned the hard way that some things look good but just don't work like I want them to, like tires.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:18 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnyote View Post
dude, why dont you just build your own chassis it would be fun and then you can spend your money on other parts. if i were you, i would try and run the stock chassis and invest in a dig tranny. also some good tires. i like ckrc's shocks.
Just a word of wisdom on this to anyone considering building their own tuber. If you don't have the basic tools and supplies for building a tuber, and only plan on ever building one tuber for yourself, you'll likely end up spending as much on the tools and supplies as ordering a pre-made one like the hustler.

Blackcatnastang, it sounds like you might be further ahead on this than others, and if you work at a machine shop, you likely have a good base for building a tuber.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote