Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Jumping with locked diff's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2008, 01:43 PM   #1

Default Jumping with locked diff's

I have tried to search, but that is a mess, so here it is. Does jumping wreck havoc on the axles if the diff's are locked? Meaning, will it break something? I have read that you shouldn't lock just 1 axle, why? Thanks!
asfasasu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

depends on what axle you have, also how fast your going, how big of jump, etc...
in general its not real good on your truck, because everything is locked.
Lesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you increase the chance of breaking something since the wheel speed in air will not match what they will be when the truck lands... causing a quick change (increasing or decreasing).

from what i've read on rc racing... they will lock the center diff, but leave the front/rear open (if 4wd w/ center diff that is).

although... I guess I could be wrong too... i've always been a basher, so breaking parts was kind of a means to learning how to build the bullet proof truck...
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

We plan on bashing with a Wheely King. But wanted to get the most out of climbing and things like that. I know that it does not work with a 1:1 rig. And just figured it would be the same for th RC truck. Thanks!!
asfasasu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Oh, yes I have first hand experence with that. If you jump and don't land perfectly on 2 tires or more. Something usually goes out. On axials it was the locker. On TLT's it was the ring and pinion. On both axles I spun drive hexes from landing on one side. I'm making a baja truck and aiming for the Axial RTR diff gear set.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

From my experiance racing 4WD trucks, jumping with locked diffs is hard on parts. In my case I race a ax10 axled truck with a prp/stamped tranny. The center diff is locked on the trans, but I run a slipper clutch. The axles have open diffs from an HPI RS4. Not the best for crawling needless to say,but I havent broken any drive line pieces yet. I race it on the monster truck style courses that our club sets up.I really built the truck to see if the axles would hold up to all the high speed jumps running a 10 turn motor. so far they have held up great.
jgb7038 is offline   Reply With Quote