Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: brushed/brushless, sensored/seneorless........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default brushed/brushless, sensored/seneorless........

what are you guys running in your crawlers....its mind boggling to whats out there as to brushed - brushless....brushless sensoered or not....then toss in there lipo batts....i'm looking to do it right the first time as to what runs the best....let the flood gates open, thx................bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

For a newbie most people tell you to stick with brushed. I am still running a brushed motor and I love it. I run a 35t integy v11 motor and it had plenty of wheel speed on 8 cell nimh and it stalls out right before I start breaking things.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I've just got in to crawlin and I have a mamba maxx and novak 55t brushed just runin a stick 7.2 and the batt is the only thing I'm changin that as soon as my 8 cell split shows up. But any way with my stock ax-10 it seems to have pleanty of power but Chip Cross let me use his 11.1 lipo and wheelspeed was like WOW but I'm to new to elect. to run them(more me scared of messing up a pricey batt!) hope this helps.....
blackcatnastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I prefer brushed for crawling but some swear by brushless.Brushed motors start smoother IMO but just don't sound nearly as cool as brushless does.My next crawler will be getting a Holmes Cobalt Puller,I have a 35T warrior in my girls rig and its nice but I hear amazing things about the Pullers.Another thing that is decided by personal preferance,motors.
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Novak fiddy five, 8.4V Does me fine.
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

thx guys....one question bout volts and motors, i've noticed that people are running different voltage batts....how does one run a higher voltage batt and not mess up the receiver and ESC if your not running its own batt pack like some do....i would think one does this to eliminate the extra weight from the 2nd batt pack....or does the RX and ESC only draw the volts needed from the motor pack and not get a surcharge of extra volts and fry itself.........bob

Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

my speedo is rated for 7.2V but I just run 8.4V, having said that if I run any more cells I will fry the speedo.

Check the maximum volts your ESC can take.
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I suggest using a Castle Creations BEC. This way you can run higher voltages, like an 8 cell split pack, and simply remove the red wire (middle wire) from ESC RX plug, this will eliminate using the ESC voltage through the RX. Make sure your ESC will handle the amount of cells you wish to run, keep in mind that Novak ESC's only handle 7 cells. I prefer higher voltage, this allows you to gear down maximizing mechanical leverage while still having some wheel speed.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
thx guys....one question bout volts and motors, i've noticed that people are running different voltage batts....how does one run a higher voltage batt and not mess up the receiver and ESC if your not running its own batt pack like some do....i would think one does this to eliminate the extra weight from the 2nd batt pack....or does the RX and ESC only draw the volts needed from the motor pack and not get a surcharge of extra volts and fry itself.........bob

Most ESC's have a built-in BEC that delivers a fixed voltage to the Rx even when you run higher voltage packs. For example, if you run a Quark 33 ESC and a 3S LiPo (11.1V), the Rx is only getting 5V due to the ESC's BEC. Other ESC's like the Novak Goat have a 6V BEC.

- Chris
Gimpy00Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy00Wang View Post
Most ESC's have a built-in BEC that delivers a fixed voltage to the Rx even when you run higher voltage packs. For example, if you run a Quark 33 ESC and a 3S LiPo (11.1V), the Rx is only getting 5V due to the ESC's BEC. Other ESC's like the Novak Goat have a 6V BEC.

- Chris
I do like the strong BEC (6V 5amp) provided by the Novak crawler specific ESC's, I just don't like the 7 cell limit.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

thx guys....every time i turn around i'm looking at some thing different to get, grrrr.....................bob