Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New wheely king owner. with some questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Question New wheely king owner. with some questions

Hi, im new here. after being out for a long time back into this hobby. wanted a crawler. ended up with a new wk for 167. today i was going to take the diffs apart and put JB weld in them to lock them up. i believe 12" is the amount i can stretch it to.

what kit did you use to do it tho? i have been looking at ckrc crawlers website. like there steering. probably going to get that.

since im about to take this all apart, what other changes can i make to improve performance? the tranny is so high up. not sure how to lower th CG.

thanks for the help mike
1TONCHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Do some searching about the best mods for a WK. You'l probably get a few responses here, but they'll be fairly general. The max wheelbase for a comp rig is 12.5". You can also use the Axial lockers to lock your diffs. HPI has come out with a kit to do a crawler conversion for the truck. I imagine that'd be a great way to go. Otherwise, making your own longer links is really easy.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum, you should go into the wk forum and read the stickies, i beleive there is a couple of templtes in there for your tranny mounting plate, to lower your cog and also some template for servo mounting plates .
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

There really isn't too much you can do about the CG with the stock Chassis. You'll have to go to a different chassis to be able to move the motor/trans around to get the weight lower.

I suggest Offroader5's "Widow" chassis. It seems to work great with the WK stuff, and he has templates to just make your own chassis (which means big $$$ savings for you!) Just get some cutting board from your local Wally world and start hackin'.

Custom Chassis'd WK Crawler <--check thsi thread for more info on the widow chassis.

BTW, where did you get a stock WK for $167? For that price I might have to get another one.

Oh, and welcome to rock crawling! Pretty soon you'll find your WK slowly mutating into something it never looked even close to before.

I started with a stock WK, and then it just took on a life of it's own, and slowly turned into this:

Last edited by JavelinSST390; 04-04-2008 at 11:00 AM.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:55 PM   #5

thanks for the replys. i like the chassis design. never made my own parts before. something new to try.

i got the wk from ebay. it ended at like 2 something in the morning. got it for 167 to my door. i will get the name for you.

thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #6

forgot to ask, any problems jb welding the diffs?? thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TONCHEVY View Post
forgot to ask, any problems jb welding the diffs?? thanks
No thats what i did, on its still holding strong. Just make sure you get alot in the diff
evilbluebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

i used stuff similiar to jb weld called "faststeel" its identical just dries much quicker they say 60mins and its completely dry
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #9

great thanks, hope i can find it.