Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Oh no, not another "Mini-me truck" thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM   #1

Default Oh no, not another "Mini-me truck" thread!

As the title implies, I want to build a mini of the truck I used to own - 1996 K1500 Silverado.

I've done some research, and I've found the only appropriate body [88-98 bodystyle, reg cab, short box [fleetside]] at Parma for $25.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...7259.17973.0.0

Next, I started looking at axles:
I want to use the scale D60 if possible, from RC4WD [looks similar to a 14SF/FF] for $150.
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=672

For the front end, I have a different idea. Since I want it as similar as possible to the 1:1, I want to try to do a 4x4 IFS up front. My question is, where do I get the components from? The diff, control arms, knuckles, steering, etc. Is there any good model out there that I could yank it from? And would the gearing be the same as the D60?

After that, transmissions:
My initial thought is an R2HD for $100, because they seem to be popular, easy transmissions. Any thoughts on this? Do I want a 2 or 3 speed instead?

Then, motors:
Honestly, clueless here. What are some good recommendations? Preferably plenty of torque but not ultra-slow.

Then, all the other little parts:
Driveshafts - would Punisher shafts work? Or should I get something else?

Shocks - Since GM IFS is/was torsion bar from that era, I won't be able to do that - so I'm opting for some internally sprung shocks from RC4WD.
What about the rear? I want some w/o internal springs, because I plan on doing leaf springs in the back, probably from a HighLift.

Wheels/Tires: First, does anyone make BFGoodrich A/T scalers for 1.9's? That's what I would be running. If not, I'll find something I like.

Note: If the IFS is too impractical, then I can just switch over to solid axles - probably TLT axles.

Thanks for any input and help on the subject! I am willing to lift it more than the 1:1 was if I have to [probably will have to].

And here's a picture of the 1:1 I don't have any more.

Jkessen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #2

NO ONE knows any answers to any of my questions?
Old 04-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

To get the gearing to match up with a solid axle rear and an IFS front, you'd probably have to do something like this. Or make the front end components yourself.
Indy V2 (the rebuild)

Or go 2wd......
pre runner build..
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Ok im gonna take a shot at helping...so bear with me...answers are within the quotes. These are mostly opinion and what ive seen...but alteast its a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkessen2 View Post
As the title implies, I want to build a mini of the truck I used to own - 1996 K1500 Silverado.

I've done some research, and I've found the only appropriate body [88-98 bodystyle, reg cab, short box [fleetside]] at Parma for $25.
http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...7259.17973.0.0

Next, I started looking at axles:
I want to use the scale D60 if possible, from RC4WD [looks similar to a 14SF/FF] for $150.
http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=672

For the front end, I have a different idea. Since I want it as similar as possible to the 1:1, I want to try to do a 4x4 IFS up front. My question is, where do I get the components from? The diff, control arms, knuckles, steering, etc. Is there any good model out there that I could yank it from? And would the gearing be the same as the D60?

-----Hard to say, depends on the width of the chassis as to what the final width would have to be. maybe touring car of some flavor or another. As for gearing that would be really hard as the RC4wd ratios are not published to the best of my knowledge. May just be easier to buy 2 and cut one down for IFS use (not cheap i know). Ive been running into a similar problem. The other option is to use the running gear from a tamyia cc01, that gives you both axles, 4wd and all the arms you would need. just gotta make a custom chassis (due to the size of the body).

After that, transmissions:
My initial thought is an R2HD for $100, because they seem to be popular, easy transmissions. Any thoughts on this? Do I want a 2 or 3 speed instead?
-----i would go axial, its spur is a bit of a PIA (if you plan to do an interior), but much cheaper and just as good if not better. But thats just personal opinion...

Then, motors:
Honestly, clueless here. What are some good recommendations? Preferably plenty of torque but not ultra-slow.
-----sky is the limit, brushless vs brushed vs cobalt puller....there are so many choices out there that we need to know your budget. The 35t warrior is a pretty badass little motor from what ive heard, and not too expensive. I recently made the switch to a sidewinder with a crawlmaster brushless and wont go back to brushed.

Then, all the other little parts:
Driveshafts - would Punisher shafts work? Or should I get something else?
-----punishers are good but $$$$, i like stampede shafts with steel yokes, or maxx shafts.

Shocks - Since GM IFS is/was torsion bar from that era, I won't be able to do that - so I'm opting for some internally sprung shocks from RC4WD.
-----actualyl you probibly could do torsion bar if you wanted to...just would take some work (piano wire with a 90* bend in the end mounted near the pivot point)...it makes sence im my head, i can try to explain/draw it if you want.

What about the rear? I want some w/o internal springs, because I plan on doing leaf springs in the back, probably from a HighLift.
-----delrin leafs, much flexier than the hilift ones...

Wheels/Tires: First, does anyone make BFGoodrich A/T scalers for 1.9's? That's what I would be running. If not, I'll find something I like.
-----i dont know if there is a true scale version of those that is worth running on a crawler...but there are a lot of nice tires out there for 1.9's

Note: If the IFS is too impractical, then I can just switch over to solid axles - probably TLT axles.
------hard yes, impossible no.

Thanks for any input and help on the subject! I am willing to lift it more than the 1:1 was if I have to [probably will have to].

And here's a picture of the 1:1 I don't have any more.

nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The RC4WD axles should work great for the rear end of that thing. If you haven't, you may want to surf the scale forum to see what people are using. Maybe cross post this there? Re: the front end, you'll probably have to make or adapt parts from other cars. If you can pull it off, that'd be really cool, despite hampering crawling performance. Search for torsion 2.2 setups. Your dream of a torsion sprung front end may be more realistic than you thought. Re: transmissions, I don't know much about the R2D, other than that they tend to be noisy. I'm really happy with the tranny in my Axial setup, and you may be able to save some money that way. re: Motors, the standard 55t would be a great choice. Maybe 35t if you're going to use this as a basher instead of a crawler. More info about your budget here would be useful. The bomb would be a cobalt puller from JRH. Re: driveshafts, pretty much anything would work. This will be partly driven by your transmission choice. The punisher shafts seem to wear out too soon for the money. For shocks, post in the scale forum. They can probably help you more than I can.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkessen2 View Post
NO ONE knows any answers to any of my questions?

Sometimes you need to give it a bit , or post it in the general scale section... It comes down to what you can spend and how scale you want it to look. What are your fabrication skills? If you're looking for a bolt together project, it would be possible, but unless you could make your own stuff, you will only get close to looking the way you truely want..

What chassis do you plan to start with??????? sometimes it works better to go chassis up, not body down.

Here are a few......

Tranny, The R2HD would be fine in it, but unless you plan to beat the piss out of it, the regular R2 would be cheaper..

Motor, 35T lathe....

Axles, TLT More bang for your buck

My suggestion, find a CC-01 put a 35T lathe in it and you would have something very close.

I would "live" in the scale sections and do a fair amount of looking through threads in there.. You will see a good amount of ideas
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

What you are planning to build is a Tamiya CC-01. I'd just get one of those (Tamiya Volkswagen Touareg is the Long WB version) slam a 55t motor in it and put your body on and call it done. It already even comes with a set of 1.9 BFG's....

All for about $165 brand new outta the box.

And it will be WAAAAY less work than what you have planned.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM   #8

Ahh..thanks for the replies! I've been doin a good deal of lookin in the scale sections. In terms of chassis, are there any good recommendations? I want a truck-like one (not a comp crawler box-like one). If all else fails I'll make my own.