Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: shocks and setting them up in droop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default shocks and setting them up in droop

i have a thread over in the newbie general section but its not getting me anywhere so i have to ask some more experienced people. im confused about setting shocks up in droop. having the larger spring under the piston would push the piston up....if physics are the same in my city as yours.....and wouldnt that make the suspension pull the truck down....not hold it up.....and then having the shocks already compressed like that......how would you get any travel or flex out of that little short one on top of the piston........what am i missing here? or am i just completley over analyzing the situation and i need to just go do it to mine and find out for myself.
cmdrpopnfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

i think the way it works is that if enough weight in on the oposite tire. ex(if the right tire in needing to be higher. the right rear shock will have the weight of the tire holding the axle down that way your front left shock and right rear shock will increase in lengths to give the flex needed)
some one correct me if i am wrong
bigdog5332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrpopnfresh View Post
i have a thread over in the newbie general section.......what am i missing here?
Make that two threads. ;)

You're missing the concept behind what a droop set up is. The whole idea is to keep the shock compressed and the suspension DROOPS down when the truck needs to articulate.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Make that two threads. ;)

You're missing the concept behind what a droop set up is. The whole idea is to keep the shock compressed and the suspension DROOPS down when the truck needs to articulate.
o man i got moved....sorry for posting in the wrong place. my bad. thanks for the info! i dont know why this didnt make sense in my head. so doing this would mean the more axle weight the better right? cause the axle would need to pull the shock against the spring. seems very strange to me. im a diesel and suspension tech at a ford dealer and this concept is just.....backwards.....to say the least. i dont think im ready to try that yet.....however i am going to try the internal spring look.....just for fun.
cmdrpopnfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i def prefer droop, it sidehills and climbs way better, it feels much more stable and it worth it imo.
jedsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Use the search on this site. Very helpful. Droop works best for my driving style, and terrain. Try both droop and sprung and see what work's best for you.
sdmf7 is offline   Reply With Quote