Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: electronics conundrum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Default electronics conundrum

hey guys! im about as new as it gets to rc crawling and have a few Q's for you!

I've just recieved an AX10 for my bday and nearly have it completed. my problem now is what to do for all of the electronics? ive done some reaserch here on the site but am still confused as all get out on which stuff to go for. please include anything these parts need.

what ive got so far:
ESC, Mamba max, CC Sidewinder, or Novak Rooster Crawler. there is probably some others ive missed.

MOTOR, Integy 55S, brushed VS. brushless for crawling? How many turns? I know there is a lot more than that to choose from, but i got overwhelmed and had to give up for a minute or two, this is the one i wrote down.

BATT. 6 cell saddle pack that sits on the front axle. What would be the best size?

SERVO, what do i need for a servo?

RADIO, im looking for a spektrum style radio, leaning towards futaba. the problem is i have no clue what to look for!

As for what i want from this crawler, I want it to be comp ready. not saying im going to compete but if i ever do, i want the stuff thats going to do what it needs to do, and do it well!

Please, because I am new to this, put all of the acronyms in words and then the letters! (ex. As Soon As Possible (ASAP))

Thanks Everbody!!

Last edited by Chuck3; 05-03-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Chuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

Conundrum! Good word man! I'll reply because of that.

Look at Tekin as a brushed motor ESC alternative to those in your list, they are freaking awesome. The FXR in particular.

The 55 turn motor is the standard. You can go to a lower turn if you're a wheelspeed kind of guy, or a higher turn if you're a slow crawl type of guy. But the 55 turn is the perfect starting point.

Look at Elite 1500 mah 2/3 cells for your 6 cell pack to fit on the front axle.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #3

thanks, will do! when it comes down to it, I really have no clue on electros of any sort. i started as a nitro guy so any help with anything elecric is MUCH appreciated
Old 05-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #4

A good starting servo would be a Hitec HS-645MG.
packerfan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerfan3001 View Post
A good starting servo would be a Hitec HS-645MG.
While this is a ok starting point for a servo I'm going to recommend going bigger.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...products_id=49

That servo will do you just fine and isnt super expensive.

Radio wise there are a TON to choose from I personally run this one and for my set up(note the word my) it works perfectly.

http://www.ckrccrawlers.com/shop/ind...products_id=42

Keep the questions coming as you will always get an answer here this area is full of vets and new guys alike.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #6

if that servo isnt expensive at 114 clams, id hate to see an expensive one!! are you sure you gave me the right link or am i just used to buying extremely cheap servos?
Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I recomend the Hitec 5955 for a servo. Had a 645 and needed more torque. Go with the Mamba max or Sidewinder because of adjustability, and you can run 3's lipo. I like to run lipo's because of the size, but thats personal preferance. I run a 55t novak crawler. Has good wheel speed on 3's lipo, but still crawls nice and slow. I recomend a dig setup even if your not in any comp's. You can turn on a dime and unlock the rear for steep climb's. And there's the cool factor too. I run a VF dig, again personal preferance. I don't know if you've already ditched the stock Axial tire's but there are a lot of tire's that walk all over them. Losi Claws are my favorite.
sdmf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #8

what is a dig setup?

and what is the advantage of a sidewinder over a mamba, or vice versa? i think ive decided to go with one of those two unless sombody is crazy persuasive about somthing else!

and i no longer need help with a radio, i found the one i want!
Old 05-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

An idea of you budget would be helpful. That said:

1. EeePee's suggestion of the Tekin is a good one. They look like really nice units, and they're really small. I use a Sidewinder, and love it. I like the option to run brushless, although I may never use it. It is extremely flexible, and easier to program than the Tekin.

2. MOTOR: The Integy or Axiom 55ts is a great option. Start with that unless you've got lots of money. Brushed motors are smoother than brushless, which is a higher priority in crawling.

3. BATT: Take a look at lipo. 11 volts is a great thing. Much better performance. If you're going to run nimh, 8 cells on the front axle is the way to go. I'll second the vote for a pack made from Elite 1500 cells.

4. SERVO: The Hitec 645MG is a great starter option. If you've got more money, go with the 5955.

5. RADIO: Spektrum DX3R if you've got money. Otherwise I'd do a older DX3 (not the DX3.0!) off ebay, as they can be modded for a dig switch.

Last edited by Mortimer Snerd; 05-04-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck3 View Post
what is a dig setup?

and what is the advantage of a sidewinder over a mamba, or vice versa? i think ive decided to go with one of those two unless sombody is crazy persuasive about somthing else!
A dig allows you to disconnect and power only the front axle. The rear can then freewheel for steep climbs and ledges or lock for tight turns. Very handy for comps.

You don't need a Max for a 2.2. You'll never even get the Sidewinder more than warm in a crawler. It is designed to handle far more power than we're running. Save the $40 or whatever the difference is. The Sidewinder is also a tiny bit smaller.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #11
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
It is extremely flexible, and easier to program than the Tekin.
Not at all. Two buttons on the top of the Tekin case and you can chance everything, or hook it up to a computer and make finer changes.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
if that servo isnt expensive at 114 clams, id hate to see an expensive one!! are you sure you gave me the right link or am i just used to buying extremely cheap servos?
mis worded on my part. Its not as bad as the Airtronics servos which cost more and do the same thing. Don't sell yourself short on the servo man, these trucks like the high torque servos.
DanTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 AM   #13

thanks for the help guys! but please keep it coming. as for my budget, there really is none. money isnt too bad of an issue but i have a bad thing with sticker shock so prepare me for a high priced item. im not ,however, going to turn down cheaper alternatives. as for the radio, whats wrong with the dx3.0?
Old 05-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
thanks for the help guys! but please keep it coming. as for my budget, there really is none. money isnt too bad of an issue but i have a bad thing with sticker shock so prepare me for a high priced item. im not ,however, going to turn down cheaper alternatives. as for the radio, whats wrong with the dx3.0?
The software doesn't allow it to be modded for a 3 position dig switch. Very few radios can be. Other than that its a great radio.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

OK, with no budget I'd buy:

1. ESC: I'd still probably get a Sidewinder. You could go for a Mamba Max, but don't really need the added power capacity. Get a CC BEC while you're at it.

2. MOTOR: 7t or 10t Cobalt puller from www.holmeshobbies.com. You'll spend around $100

3. BATT: A set of good 3s lipos in the 2000 to 2500 range. Much nicer, with longer run times and increased performance. They'll run $60 each. Get a Hyperion EOS 0606i charger to fill'em back up.

4. SERVO: The Hitec 5955 or any other high torque servo will serve you well.

5. RADIO: Spektrum DX3R or Nomadio React, depending on which one fits your hand better.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #16

wouldent a 7t or 10t be a little too much speed for crawling?
Old 05-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Its a cobalt puller, not a 540.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
if you have no control over your throttle finger.... yes.

all good suggestions in this thread; all the idiots must wait until monday to log on (I jumped the gun here).

p!nK
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #19

that nomadio react looks pretty slick. what does anybody else have to say about it?

looking into motors and batts mostly now.

Last edited by Chuck3; 05-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
OK, with no budget I'd buy:

1. ESC: I'd still probably get a Sidewinder. You could go for a Mamba Max, but don't really need the added power capacity. Get a CC BEC while you're at it.

2. MOTOR: 7t or 10t Cobalt puller from www.holmeshobbies.com. You'll spend around $100

3. BATT: A set of good 3s lipos in the 2000 to 2500 range. Much nicer, with longer run times and increased performance. They'll run $60 each. Get a Hyperion EOS 0606i charger to fill'em back up.

4. SERVO: The Hitec 5955 or any other high torque servo will serve you well.

5. RADIO: Spektrum DX3R or Nomadio React, depending on which one fits your hand better.
wil the sidewinder work wiht this motor? according to holmeshobbies.com it has a 19t limit. or does this matter with the motor not being a 540 size?