Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Outrunner / Inrunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Outrunner / Inrunner

Im new to crawlers and have a couple questions.

#1 What the difference between out/inrunner motors?
#2 This should start a debate, Mamba Max w/Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster OR Novak Goat Crawler system?

I dont want to buy something Im going to have to upgrade in 3 months.

Note: I dont have any experience with the electronics mentioned. Ive done some reading on this site and these are the electronics that stand out for me. I will be using them in the Axial Crawler Kit. I am leaning also to the Spectrum DX6i radio.

Any info is appreciated.
WizzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If its for an axial you'll be far happier with the throttle control of an FX-R and a good 35-55T motor in that Axial. Brushless isn't the best choice for comp crawling. In fact you won't find many still running Brushless. Most have gone to the new Cobalt motors from HolmesHobbies cuz those are full torque and tons of wheel speed but still a solid linear control.

Also why a DX6? You only need 2 channels for the Axial, unless you run 4WS, but then you are no longer comp legal.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Debunking old stereotypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
If its for an axial you'll be far happier with the throttle control of an FX-R and a good 35-55T motor in that Axial. Brushless isn't the best choice for comp crawling. In fact you won't find many still running Brushless. Most have gone to the new Cobalt motors from HolmesHobbies cuz those are full torque and tons of wheel speed but still a solid linear control.

Also why a DX6? You only need 2 channels for the Axial, unless you run 4WS, but then you are no longer comp legal.

Or a 3 channel if you want to run dig?
I'm still using brushless in my comp rig
Yes, the smoothness of a brushed motor is hard to match with a brushless, but the Quark 33 pro car ESC and a Revolver is pretty damn buttery smooth.

As for the difference in outunner VS inrunner, an out runner the whole can spins, vs the inrunner which is more like a brushed motor with the stator spinning inside the can.

John rob Holmes (Holmeshobbies) can answer this question better, he's an electronics guru.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Nope..

You will not be unhappy with a Mamba Max. They are awesome.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
RCC Addict

OR you can have the Best of BOTH worlds and pick up a FX-R and a Holmes Cobolt 7T Puller. Its like having the rpm and wheel speed of a brushless system and the smothness and tourqe of a brushed system. Heres the Reviews. Plus that fx-r is as small as a quarter and it has a amazing drag brake. It also handles up to a 3C Lipo.

FX-R Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...
Puller Cobalt Puller 7t--limited stock

Theres your best bet and a very great combo. The pullers about $77 and the esc is about $100 depending on where you get it. Still a unbeatable combo. Check out the videos for your self. Im talking about wheelies, jumps, compition crawling power godly tourqe.... and STILL cheaper than a Goat system. One downfall, hard to find a dist/vendor that has those FX-R's in stock since there doing so good in comps all around the world and those Cobolt motors are kind of rare because there custom built only on preorder. You wont be displeased, do some research on the search engine and make your choice then. Good Luck, check out youtube on this great combo aswell.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooyak View Post
OR you can have the Best of BOTH worlds and pick up a FX-R and a Holmes Cobolt 7T Puller. Its like having the rpm and wheel speed of a brushless system and the smothness and tourqe of a brushed system. Heres the Reviews. Plus that fx-r is as small as a quarter and it has a amazing drag brake. It also handles up to a 3C Lipo.

FX-R Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...
Puller Cobalt Puller 7t--limited stock

Theres your best bet and a very great combo. The pullers about $77 and the esc is about $100 depending on where you get it. Still a unbeatable combo. Check out the videos for your self. Im talking about wheelies, jumps, compition crawling power godly tourqe.... and STILL cheaper than a Goat system. One downfall, hard to find a dist/vendor that has those FX-R's in stock since there doing so good in comps all around the world and those Cobolt motors are kind of rare because there custom built only on preorder. You wont be displeased, do some research on the search engine and make your choice then. Good Luck, check out youtube on this great combo aswell.
Thanks for enlightening me on the TEKIN, it sure made its way to the high consideration list, with a brushed motor.

Last edited by WizzRacing; 05-21-2008 at 05:35 PM.
WizzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote