Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Electronics Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #1

Default Electronics Options

I was wondering what some of you guys/gals are running for battery packs, ESC, Motors. I have looked through the forum over the last couple of days. And have lots of options it looks like but wanting some advice and directions.
Alarm God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default batteries and esc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm God View Post
I was wondering what some of you guys/gals are running for battery packs, ESC, Motors. I have looked through the forum over the last couple of days. And have lots of options it looks like but wanting some advice and directions.
I have run 3 types of esc's. The hpi wheely king stock,rooster crawler,and mamba 25. The rooster is a great one for the newbie because it is easy to program and you can get used to it really fast. The Mamba 25 would be,to me, the step up from the rooster because it is way more progammable especially if you have the castle link. Also running a brushless motor is a lot better for power. And a good add on for either of these two is a BEC. It helps out your servo alot. As far as batteries i have always run 2 cell lipos and i love them anywhere from 1000mah-1320mah. A great 2 cell is the thunder power 1320. heres a link. http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...&man=TP&cat=PL TP 1320 2S.
rc4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

Castle Creation ESC's are one of the best crawler ESC's out there. I run the Sidewinder and the Mamba Max. Can't beat the adjustments you are able to make. You can really dial your rig in where you want it.

Another option is the Tekin FXR. I've not run it yet,but I've talked with some that have and they are very happy with it. Holmes Hobbies carries both.

I run 3 cells on everything. A good rule of thumb on outrunners is gear down and volt up. That works just as well on brushed motors. Gearing down gives better low end power and more torque,volting up gets your wheel speed back.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

By the way this is going on the RTR Axial AX10. If that matters.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Good advice for Castles, bad for Novaks (limited to 7 cells NiMH/NiCD max) or most cheapie ESC's.

We have a lot more options now than back in the day. For the Axial the Sidewinder is pretty tough to beat, as it'll run either an outrunner or a lathe motor, and you can do 3S lipo or a stack of small NiMH cells on the axle. 8 is a nice round number, fits nicely on the axle and provides a good chunk of weight nice and low (assuming you're using 2/3A cells. 8 sub-C's would be huge).

Personally, I'm not on the lipo bandwagon. I have way too many rigs, so they sit for extended periods. A lipo will go dead without a little love-tap once in a while to make sure the volts are still in it (and never, ever leave one plugged in). Nicads and NiMH cells tolerate abuse much better; I still use batteries I bought five years ago

The Novak Rooster Crawler is pretty much plug and play (well, solder and play). No setup required and the drag brake is good, but not tuneable. The Goat has a tuneable drag brake and will run brushed or brushless (but only a Novak brushless) on 6 or 7 cells. I have 4 Goats and love them daily. Go ahead and sig that you homos.

I haven't used a Tekin, but I've heard nothing but good about them, and from talking to them at the Scale Nats, they know their stuff. I expect they'll have some new crawler products soon, too.

If you want to build a scaler, you have packaging to consider. Smaller is better, if you can cram all your electronics into a tool box or fuel cell, you don't have to look at them.

It's important to match your components. Using a 3013 outrunner and 3S lipo with a Mamba-25 is a great way to see for yourself what a burning Mamba smells like. It smells a lot like a burning hundred-dollar bill. So just because you get a great deal on a component, or have it laying around, doesn't mean you have to use it. Look at the amp draw of the motor, and assume there's no fudge factor on the speedo's amp rating. You WILL get a tire bound up, and you WILL be tempted to throttle out of it. Everyone does. Breaking an axle shaft is kind of cool, in a way. It's a hell of a lot cooler than smoking an ESC at any rate.

Sorry for the mega-post, but there are a lot of options now.

You should have asked us back in '05. The answer was a lot easier back then

Last edited by microgoat; 05-31-2008 at 05:00 PM. Reason: little tosser posted while I was typing
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

HA HA!

Goat made some really good points.

Once you get bit by the high voltage bug,you won't ever go back to big clunky NiMH cells. I know I won't.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #7

Here is my AX10 RTR. Running stock electronics for now but looks like I'll be running the Mamba Max w/ Integy Lathe motor. As far as batteries still undecided.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I am at the same point you are with battery's 2/3a or 3s lipo, if I run the lipo I have to change where my links are if I run the 8cell 2/3a it's already built as saddle pack.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

if you are going to run a lathe motor i would sugest the sidewinder. its the max's little brother. same features just cant handle less the a 12 turn motor and its like $60 cheaper!

p.s. 8 cell 2/3 are the way to go plus you can buy 3 for the price of a lipo
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #10

Whats a good place to buy batteries?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

on the vender section. (THE CRAWLER STORE)
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:18 PM   #12

I was wondering if the mamba 25 would be a good choice or should I step up to the sidewinder 1/10 scale esc.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I like my mamba 25 but only after upgrading the firmware with a castlelink. I use it in my ax10 with a gws 2212/15 and a 2s lipo mini-t pack. It works great with both 9/87 gearing (I use a 3s lipo with that) and 15/87 with the 2s. I use a bluebird 620mg servo, a spektrum ar6000 reciever, and a castle creations cc bec.

A great place to buy lipos is www.commonsenserc.com
They have good lipos for under 20 bucks.
Another good place is www.hobbycity.com they also have good lipos for under 15 bucks.

Lipos are not necesarily more expensive. However they are more dangerous and require a brain to use properly. But in my opinion that is a great trade off for fast charging, no maintanence, no drop in voltage, and ultra light power. Besides you have a lipo type battery in your cell phone that you carry in your pocket all the time. just use a lipo safe charger and esc (like a mamba 25 or max) (or pay like 20 bucks for a lipo cutoff) and you're good.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
if you are going to run a lathe motor i would sugest the sidewinder. its the max's little brother. same features just cant handle less the a 12 turn motor and its like $60 cheaper!

p.s. 8 cell 2/3 are the way to go plus you can buy 3 for the price of a lipo
X2,This is the setup I'm running.
Hellbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Whats a good place to buy batteries?
Holmes Hobbies carries some great cells.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #16

Here is the new lid.

Last edited by Alarm God; 06-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:26 AM   #17

So Mamba Maxx or Sidewinder. Ok now which motor brushed or brushless.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

For my ESC, I am running circa 1992 Novak 610-RV. Instant reverse (you can adjust the brake down to nothing) but no drag brake - and I have to make sure I turn my radio on before the rig - and turn the rig off before the radio or it gets the jitters....
The Modfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
So Mamba Maxx or Sidewinder. Ok now which motor brushed or brushless.

Right now,brushed motors will be better for smooth throttle response. Brushless has a little edge over the brushed as they push more power. They are not as smooth on the bottom though. Best of both worlds,get a cobalt puller. Allot of power with BUTTER smooth throttle and awesome wheel speed.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:20 AM   #20
RCC Addict

raptorman57 has some good points.

Dont forget about that fx-r btw. Read kaetwo's review on it, perfect. The esc is super small. really light weight so you can mount it anywhere. Looks good and not to pricy as well. handles 2/3c's has a great internal bec also. With a fx-r and one of Jhons cobolt pullers, it would be a deadly combo. If mix up 11.1v's and a perfect gearing omfg you got a beast. You will have the smoothness of a brushed motor with the tourqe and wheelspeed of a brushless system. #1 in my book. just my .2 btw good luck on your decision.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote