Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Pre planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #1

Default Pre planning

Alright so I bought a wheely king last winter and built it up real nice, performs really well, not that im anything more then a basher. But now that the work is done I'm a bit bored.

I'm planning on building a custom chassis built around a 2 speed drill transmission, I've got a 7t cobalt that I'm planning on using to push the thing along, but my real dilemma lies in what transmission to use as a transfer case.

I was thinking about tearing apart my wheely king and using its tranny and axels so as to save me a handful of cash, I also like the upright mounting of the tranny as it works well with the 2 speed drill transmission ie:the drive shafts will be centered between the frame rails and coming out right underneath my 2 speed.

But I'm debating at this point whether or not it would be more worth while in the long run to go with an AX10 axels and tranny.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, whther something I mentioned or not.
Venturestein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i would just buy the axial tranny and tranny plate and its really small were you gonna make it tube or tvp?
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #3

I'm building two seperate frame rails each will be made up of 2 pieces of 16 ga steel (was able to get them cnc ed out for me). each piece will be spaced out wide enough for my rod ends to fit in between them, then Im going to cut spacers and bolt the two pieces of steel together with 6-32 bolts (should be bullet proof). I will then weld my transmission and motor mounts in between the the 2 seperate frame rails, acting like solid cross braces. I'm going to then cut some some wide spacers to aid the cross braces hold the frame together and run threaded rod through it.

It will be a bit heavy with the drill tranny and steel frame but it will be pretty invincible, should look quite nasty aswell.

hope that all made sense, camera is out of batteries.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yea i have a rough picture in my head how where you gonna set up your shocks?
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Are you building a scale truck, or are you building a competition truck, or just another basher?

If you're building a scale truck, custom, then it doesn't matter what you use cause you'll be modifying it to your likings anyway. If you are building a competition rig then you can also do it with the wk axles, but I would add in the axial trans for simplicity.

Good Luck
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #6

I'll post some pics of the frame rails real soon so I can illustrate better the mounting points.

Its not being built with the intention of competition, but you never know right, I'm mostly in it to build a kick ass truck that can climb good, with that kick ass low drill gear, but i also want to be able to cruise along at a decent clip, love blasting through those big puddles with some good speed.

as far as the ax10 tranny goes i keep hearing good things, i just want to make sure i can mount it up to the 2 speed in a manner that lets the 2 speed remain centered between the frame rails. (so there is not excessive weight off centered)

Last edited by Venturestein; 06-19-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

wow..figure out that drive ratio. Post some pics man. I am interested to see.
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

all my WK's dont have there trannys any more. junk imo. Axial axles are top notch in my book. good luck and keep us posted with some pics. hope everything turns out well for you
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #9

cool all i hear is good about the axials, seems like a good way to go,

I'll get some pics as soon as I got something decent to show, and I quit my job at the metal shop, so I'm gonna need to stock my garage.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturestein View Post
cool all i hear is good about the axials, seems like a good way to go,

I'll get some pics as soon as I got something decent to show, and I quit my job at the metal shop, so I'm gonna need to stock my garage.
lol i quit! im a full time crawler
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtooyak View Post
lol i quit! im a full time crawler
I tried that for about 4 months a while back...didn't work out so well
jwcustomwurks is offline   Reply With Quote