Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: gear change??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default gear change??

I am wanting to change the pinion gear on my motor to get a little bit lower gearing. Right now I have the stock 87 tooth on the tranny and 14 tooth on the motor which gives me a 47.80. The lowest I can without changing the 87 tooth spur is a 55.77 and I just need to find a 12 tooth pinion or the motor. I was just wandering if that will be much of a change though. Also anyone know are the RC4WD R2D2 tranny gear different than the stock axials? My buddy has that tranny with the same motor, pinion, and spur I have but his seems to be geared lower.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I ordered a 12 tooth pinion from either RCP or TCS and it made a very small difference with the 27T motor in my RTR Axial crawler over the stock 14T but the big difference was changing to the 55t Integy lathe motor and the 12T pinion gear.. it feels like a totally different truck.. just enough wheel speed when you need it but crawls very well.. top speed is a slow walk. Hah
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
I ordered a 12 tooth pinion from either RCP or TCS and it made a very small difference with the 27T motor in my RTR Axial crawler over the stock 14T but the big difference was changing to the 55t Integy lathe motor and the 12T pinion gear.. it feels like a totally different truck.. just enough wheel speed when you need it but crawls very well.. top speed is a slow walk. Hah
I already have the 55T motor. I bought the rooster crawler ESC and 55T motor as a package.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
I already have the 55T motor. I bought the rooster crawler ESC and 55T motor as a package.

55T and a 14tooth pinion is almost too slow. It gets the job done and has the slow power, but when you need wheel speed you are screwed. That is the same combo I have and I would like the same torque but more wheel speed. The answer I found was to volt up and change to a 17 tooth pinion. Problem is, you can't volt up with the Rooster Crawler.

I'd say stick with the 14 tooth and the 55T. It will be plenty slow.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
55T and a 14tooth pinion is almost too slow. It gets the job done and has the slow power, but when you need wheel speed you are screwed. That is the same combo I have and I would like the same torque but more wheel speed. The answer I found was to volt up and change to a 17 tooth pinion. Problem is, you can't volt up with the Rooster Crawler.

I'd say stick with the 14 tooth and the 55T. It will be plenty slow.
I did find another option today. I am gonna switch to a 35T handwound motor. From what I told they way they are work is you get the torque of a 55T motor but the wheel speed of a 35T motor.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have been thinking about that option. Where are you going to get yours?
Old 06-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I have been thinking about that option. Where are you going to get yours?
Only place I have found one is holmeshobbies.com. They have them for $51 shipped to me. I will have to wait and get the later though. I just order $350 worth of other stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I just installed mine and it is super nice! It has alot more wheel speed that it did at the comp. but seems to have a little more torque than it did with the 55t. It was $ well spent. Oh and yeah Holmes is the place to get them.
Oh and just in case you were wondering I was running an 18T pinion on mine with the 55T motor.

Last edited by bigflex; 06-25-2008 at 12:15 AM.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
I just installed mine and it is super nice! It has alot more wheel speed that it did at the comp. but seems to have a little more torque than it did with the 55t. It was $ well spent. Oh and yeah Holmes is the place to get them.
Oh and just in case you were wondering I was running an 18T pinion on mine with the 55T motor.
What pinion did you put on with the 35T?
Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The true solution to your question is volt up and gear down. The problem is the rooster crawler though. You can only run 7 cells max which is 8.4 volts. If you ran say a 3S lipo (11.1 volts) with a 55 turn and a 10tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur, you would have plenty of wheel speed. Lathe motors were really designed to be run at 12 volts. Running a 6 cell 7.2 volts does not bring out the true potential the motors have.

Gearing down also helps with the drag brake. The lower the gearing, the stronger hold it will have when stopped on the side of a rock or hill. Quality motor magnets also help this. The only way around the volt up gear down is less turns on the motor. But even then you are missing the torque and wheel speed higher voltage will bring. The weight of the rig can play into this as well. If it's heavy, or if the front is heavily weighted, you'll use more power to get it moving with low voltage and also reduce wheel speed.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
What pinion did you put on with the 35T?
I put on a 16T pinion. I will gear it down to a 12T as soon as I get my Tekin FX-R and volt up to 11.1v. It should fly with it setup like that.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The true solution to your question is volt up and gear down. The problem is the rooster crawler though. You can only run 7 cells max which is 8.4 volts. If you ran say a 3S lipo (11.1 volts) with a 55 turn and a 10tooth pinion and 87 tooth spur, you would have plenty of wheel speed. Lathe motors were really designed to be run at 12 volts. Running a 6 cell 7.2 volts does not bring out the true potential the motors have.

Gearing down also helps with the drag brake. The lower the gearing, the stronger hold it will have when stopped on the side of a rock or hill. Quality motor magnets also help this. The only way around the volt up gear down is less turns on the motor. But even then you are missing the torque and wheel speed higher voltage will bring. The weight of the rig can play into this as well. If it's heavy, or if the front is heavily weighted, you'll use more power to get it moving with low voltage and also reduce wheel speed.
All of this is true but with the 35T HH handwound you don't lose any torque. As a matter of fact they have more torque than a 55T lathe. You just lose a little run time. But for a comp. rig losing 5-10 minutes of run time isn't really that big of a deal for me. I am running a crappy moped right now and thats the reason i am getting the Tekin. I figure if I am gonna spend $85 on a novak I might as well get an FX-R for $20 more. I will then have the option of volting up down the road.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Wish I had gone with something other than the Rooster for this very reason.:-(