Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best bang for the BUCK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best bang for the BUCK

I NEED TO SAVE MONEY FOR GAS IN THE REAL JEEP!!!! stupid low mpg ... but I digress ;)

I have a few of the original scoprions from Nylint the 1/18 scale and the 1/6 scale and they are both FUN but I am looking to build something or atleast play with something more customizable.

what do you guys suggest aside from buying an already used BUILT rig? I am open to any and ALL suggestions. Sorry if this is a VERY broad question.

Thanks in advance
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You'd be best off getting an RTR AX10 or an ARTR... The RTR comes with some cheap electronics and is ready to go so that you can get a good feel for it and upgrade as you wish. The ARTR is a completely built KIT version and you just need to add electronics to run.

If your all about instant gratification, get the RTR.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Axial has their ready to run crawler its not to awfully expensive and it is fully upgradeable. The crawlers store has them for around $270.00. All you need to supply is the battery pack a charger and batteries for the radio.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If you buy an artr axial scorpion you can buy a futaba radio from tower hobbies. (go to vendors section first) Some futaba radio packages come with an esc and a respectably good servo. then you can add a battery , a motor, and paint then go rule some rocks. you don't necessarily need a futaba radio just use any thing you feel is within your price range. But I recomend spending some coin on a good servo . A hitec645mg is a great servo for a good price.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k3r1 View Post

I have a few of the original scoprions from Nylint the 1/18 scale and the 1/6 scale and they are both FUN but I am looking to build something or atleast play with something more customizable.
I'm in the same boat. My son and I have a 1/6 red scorpion and 1/6 Jeep and have had a lot of fun with them, but it's time to move on to something better. I'm hooked on these axials, and after watching some videos of them, there's no comparison to the ol' Nylints. I think I'll just start out with the ARTR kit and move on from there after reading this thread:
ARTR (9004) orange or PRO KIT (90001) green
GATOROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Best bang for your buck? The Axial Scorpion. That's the easy part. However, they come in 3 versions:

1) RTR. Ready to run. You buy it at the store, put in some batteries, and you're done. The RTR version is a somewhat capable crawler, and if you're looking to just plug-and-play, this is the way to go if you're not too serious.

2) ARTR. Almost ready to run. You need to buy a couple things and install them yourself, but the bulk of the truck comes assembled. This version has several upgrades from the RTR, and if I were buying one today...this is the one I'd get.

3) The kit. Sit down with some wrenches and build the whole thing yourself. It's the cheapest version in box form, but you need some know-how to put it together correctly. I built my first RC10 at age 14, so it's nothing extravagant.

-----------------------------

If you're really wanting that hands-on experience, go with the kit. Do some homework on how to set it up properly, and read a lot of the build threads on this site. You can take something and make it your own by customizing it with aftermarket parts, or things you made yourself. There's nothing quite like it!

The ARTR is probably the middle ground. It allows you to get up and running quickly, yet still provides a really nice platform to expand on, should you really get into the hobby.
Browncoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #7

Im not even an veteran rock crawler. But i have been RC racing for a while and i can tell you that RTR kits are for rookies that want to stay rookies. If your a person that wants to learn how chassis actually work and how integrate the electronics to your desired application a build able chassis is your best bet. Not to mention building your kit, modifying it and doing maintenance is often as much fun as driving it.

As far as crawlers go every thing i have read points to the Axio being the best bang for the buck in stock form and for performance modifications, atleast for a first time rig goes. Im more of a scaler fan so i went with the Tamiya CR-01 for my first crawler. Im just waiting for my Novak brushless system to show up so i can give it a go.

And these forums are by far the best source for crawler knowledge i have located, good stuff here.
Norse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would get the Axial RTR
GH Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Best bang for the BUCK

How would your opinion change NOW with the XR, SCX and wriath out there among all the crawler chassis in the vendor forums?

ALSO, out of all of your RCs what is your FAVORITE to drive and why? I ask because I am torn between crawling, bashing, scale etc and I cant commit to buying all of them (yet lol) so I just figured I would get a general consensus.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wow - you just resurrected a 4 yr old thread!!

Where in Dallas are you? There are a few of us in the Plano, Carrollton, Lewisville area. Got to TXRCRCA Forum click on OFFROAD RC. Thats us.

But to get back to your question. We all have a couple of rigs. Most of us have Wraiths for the trails and climbs at Arbor Hills and Bullys or Losi crawlers for crawling at Arbor Hills or Miller Run in Garland.

PM me for more info.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I lov my SCX. Honcho on 2.2's gets the best of both worlds, crawling and trail runs!!
Carolina Scaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

yes he resurrected a 4 yr old thread, but it is HIS 4 year old thread...
I really enjoy crawling with my swx comp ax10. the best thing about the comp crawlers is that if you really wanted to get a feell for scalers, just limit the travel quite a bit, put some saller tires on it and slam a scale body on there. then you can decide if thats the next step in the bug.. If you dont have much access to a crawl spot, then Id think about a basher.. just my $.02

Last edited by ae racer; 07-11-2012 at 09:19 PM.
ae racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

LoL I found humor in resurrecting my old @$$ thread.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Ah, you know what they say about self-gratification.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

So no comments from anyone?
Old 07-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Don't make me start a NEW thread so you whiners can stop complaining about the OP date.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Hi-tec 645MG servo's. Best bang for buck I know of, got one 10yrs. old, took 4000 T-maxx crashes, I mean hit curb, tore a-arms off kind of crashes. To even strip gears out... Replaced work fine.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So Mike, have you got anything??

I had to order a solid rear locking diff for my Wraith and the links all fixed on the Bully.
bbking9 is offline   Reply With Quote