Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

View Poll Results: which is a better setup?
dig 43 86.00%
4 wheel steering 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: dig vs. 4ws?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default dig vs. 4ws?

so this comin week im expecting my spectrum dx3 to be delivered, and was wondering which setup would be better

4 wheel steering or dig

at the monment my ax 10 has full time 4 wheel steering(*meaning the servos ar just connected via y harness).

i got the dx3 mainly so i can control the rear wheels independantly. but after spending my whole friday loooking through crawler videos on youtube ive noticed that alot of people are using dig.

btw. any suggestions on which dig i should invest in? ive noticed the vf brand one but are there any other brands i should look into?

*not sure if this is the right section, mods please move if needed

Last edited by NeXt559; 07-05-2008 at 07:31 PM.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I would suggest going with a dig, because when you decide to enter comps you will not be able to run a rig with rear steer. Personally, I think the advantages of dig far outweigh the advantages of rear steer on a 2/2 rig like the axial. I just bought a dig, and I did research for a few weeks trying to decide which route to go with. The only dig I saw with consistent positive reviews and almost no negative reviews was the VF Dig. They have been hard to find, and I paid a good bit for a used one so I didn't miss out. However, the new VF Dig units will begin arriving at the dealers as early as next week. I will be buying two units for my other rigs, and three units for friends of mine that have been waiting for them.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
so this comin week im expecting my spectrum dx3 to be delivered, and was wondering which setup would be better

4 wheel steering or dig

at the monment my ax 10 has full time 4 wheel steering(*meaning the servos ar just connected via y harness).

i got the dx3 mainly so i can control the rear wheels independantly. but after spending my whole friday loooking through crawler videos on youtube ive noticed that alot of people are using dig.

btw. any suggestions on which dig i should invest in? ive noticed the vf brand one but are there any other brands i should look into?

*not sure if this is the right section, mods please move if needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post
I would suggest going with a dig, because when you decide to enter comps you will not be able to run a rig with rear steer. Personally, I think the advantages of dig far outweigh the advantages of rear steer on a 2/2 rig like the axial. I just bought a dig, and I did research for a few weeks trying to decide which route to go with. The only dig I saw with consistent positive reviews and almost no negative reviews was the VF Dig. They have been hard to find, and I paid a good bit for a used one so I didn't miss out. However, the new VF Dig units will begin arriving at the dealers as early as next week. I will be buying two units for my other rigs, and three units for friends of mine that have been waiting for them.

I am one of the owners of DNA R/C Products. I partnered with Don, creator of this dig unit. It is pretty much bullet proof. They are shipping this coming week, so there are going to be may stores carrying them.

Tweakin on my comp rig for BG...updated Slingshot & DNA Dig Here is a good thread.

Last edited by 210solomon007; 07-05-2008 at 07:42 PM.
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Dig allows a tighter radius of pivot since you're essentially pivoting on the rear axle vs. just having a much smaller turning radius with the 4WS. Dig let's you turn one direction or the other without moving forward, where 4WS still needs the forward movement to actually aim the front of the rig in a different direction.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Dig - stay comp legal

4 wheel steer - looks cool

thats my 2 cents
Dickie691986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

210solomon007

pm sent
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

dig is the way to go. if you got the dx3 not the dx3r 4ws is a pain to make happen dig will be easy to set up on both though
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
210solomon007

pm sent

Replied ..
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
ljk
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post

you can do both if you like you will need to get a y harness and hock the steering together and then you can still use you dig but you will need a bec to power it all if yoy are looking for a com then do a dig if you are doing a beater then thats you call
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

DIG all the way 4ws will not help u get over steep rock climbs
Leeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

i bought an ax10 and the rear steer kit. after about an hour of driving it, the rear steer was off and the rear was linked straight. it just a pain in the butt to deal with. after seeing how the dig units work and doing some searching, i will be ordering one next week
wojin is offline   Reply With Quote