Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Brushless Motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Brushless Motors

What are the pro's and cons of having a brushless system over brushed?
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
What are the pro's and cons of having a brushless system over brushed?
The search button is your friend it's located in the top right corner of every section.

Brushed = ultra smooth low speed control, needs maintenance (ie. replacement of brushed, cutting of comm, etc), also doesn't have as strong a drag brake as brushless

Brushless = crazy torque, no maintenance, very strong drag brake, but currently lack the low speed control of a brushed motor, did I mention crazy torque?

Even a very small Holmes brushless Revolver will break things on only a 2S lipo (7.4V). I personally prefer brushed motors, but I own both. Since I run my scale rigs in the water, I prefer to run brushless in them for lack of required maintenance. I run brushed in my comp rigs though because of the smooth throttle control.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the tip.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

pros of brushed they look good in a case
pros of brushless they look good all the time
make your life easier,
  • ultra low maintace
  • better efficiency (longer run times)
  • more power (always a plus)
  • make your ring cooler (even more than that nos sticker you have on there)
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

+'s
more power, longer runtime, faster.

-'s
EXPENSIVE, cogging, pricey.

brushed motors are super smooth, and best of all, cheap!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #6

hey, does anyone know how battery life compares between like a 1kv brushless system vs a 55t lathe motor using the same battery?
Steve-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

So, I understand that brushless motors are maintenance-free, but how much maintenance do brushed motors require? I mean, how often do the brushes and armatures need to be replaced? In other words, is the maintenance-free aspect of brushless motors worth their higher price?
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #8

what would the batt run time be like on a 7 turn vs a goat system be like, say a 1500 mah batt with 7 cells
yotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I ran out runners prior to getting a Novak Goat and the Goat is the only brushless I will run it's smooth and controllable.

Out runners usually cog a little at start up and never supply smooth control at any point in the power curve IMO.

I would pick any brushed motor or the Goat for their smooth control before any out runner on the market today.

My Goat runs 45 mins. on a 1500 6 cell 7.4 NiMH pack.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

ive had my 55t motor since last year on January and haven't changed the brushes or cleaned it so that doesn't seem like a lot of maintenance to me
breitenbach14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Brushed motors got a bad rap for high maint. in the racing circles where it isnt uncommon to cut the comm and replace brushed ever couple of runs. In crawling the amp draw is so low that a 55t lathe will last damn near forever.
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I was also thinking the price of the brushed would allow you to buy 2 or 3 for the price of 1 brushless. I will try my RTR Axial with the stock motor for a while, once it is back in stock. But I have been spoiled with my brushless Stampede and Rustler.
Prostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #13

i am currently workin on my brushless set up,but my brushed motor just wasn't enough after a while.plus i ran mine a ton so it was gettting some wear on it.im gunna be running the bm 16 brushless from the crawler store,what do you guys think about that motor?
Nick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

When you wear out you brush motor, you throw it in the trash.

When you wear out your Novak BL motor, you swap it for a replacement motor for @35.00 (w/new 120 warranty):

Novak Motor Replacement Program
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 02:18 PM   #15

i would do that if i had novak brushless,but i don't. and that brushed novak is sick ass hell now.waitin on my esc to come back for cc so i can put it all together
Nick77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #16

One other thing that I experienced with brushless was wierd anoying noises. I had a crawlmaster and mamba max and I could not stand the sounds the esc made when first plugging it in, and then when you drive it had a strange whine to it that was distracting to say the least. When I switched to a brushed motor it was almost silent both driving and powering up! It crawls way better IMO with the brushed.

For sale Crawlmaster brushless motor used once, like new. Best offer.
str8axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I used to say that I would have nothing but brushless and LiPo, because I started out with other types of RC cars and trusck before I got into crawling. When I got into crawling, I bought a Novak goat before I even got my axial. I ended up with two goats and liked them pretty good. But then I got a chanve to run a high end brushed crawler motor. After I ran my mamba/Holmes Hobbies cobalt setup, I had sold both goat systems within a week. I now have two Holmes Hobbies 7 turn cobalt motors, and two holmes hobbies 35 turn handwound 540 motors. The main reason that I went from the brushless to the Holmes Hobbies motors is because they are so much smoother on low end throttle response, partly because you can run a 3 cell lipo, and volt up and gear down, which provides a much smooher start up and throttle response. The Novak Goat is supposed to be limited to 2S LiPo, although it's quite strong on 2S.

I HIGHLY reccomend Holmes Hobbies brushed motors. John Robert Holmes has some of the best service in the industry, and IMO the best motors on the market, period.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote