Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: suspension problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default suspension problem

for some reason whenever i go to climb a pretty steep incline as i approach the fron right side always goes up first followed by the rear axle coming foward way to fast to the point that the axle is almost sideways, i can get some pics if needed but was curious wat caused this cause since it does it i cant really crawl over anything? thanks in advance i hope
erb5991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Try to stiffen up the left rear via a spacer or stiffer spring. What are some of the specs such as motor, gearing, ...etc.
scaryclownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

its a droop set up with a 55 turn lathe running a 12 tooth and 86 tooth
Old 07-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Do you have internal springs? You might try internal springs, or maybe some thicker oil. You have to kind of give your suspension time work. Speed doesn't help if you have to take a rollover penalty.
scaryclownguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

no just droop and the oil is already very thick, its just kinda like the rear axle trys to go to before the front and just tucks itself under the body
Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Try shortening your shocks with some fuel tubing inside of your shock. Try different sizes till it doesn't do that, its fixable for sure. Adding springs will help it return but I don't think it will keep it from folding under like it is. I know alot of people that run elastic bands from top of shock to bottom as well, maybe that helps as well.
4mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by erb5991 View Post
the fron right side always goes up first followed by the rear axle coming foward way to fast to the point that the axle is almost sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by erb5991 View Post
its a droop set up with a 55 turn lathe running a 12 tooth and 86 tooth
You've got symptoms of torque twist with a bad case of unloading with a dash of too much travel.

Spring rates,shock oils and link configuration,uh...well.......are the cure for all of it.

About 45 degrees of articulation is all you need. Limit your shocks or run shorter shocks.

The BIGGEST key in a droop set up is the valving in your shocks. EVERY shock is valved differently and therefore will require a different oil/spring set up. No springs,go thicker....springs,go thinner. A properly set up droop suspension can work VERY well. It does take allot more trial and error to get a good droop set up vs. a sprung set up.

You can't bolt on a droop set up. EVERY rig is different and will require a different set up. ALLOT of your problem can be fixed with the right shock set up. Link configuration will make a huge difference also.

I could write a wall of text long enough to make your eyes bleed trying to explain link geometry and the difference between the many different set ups. I'm not going to do that though. It's late and I gotta work in the morning. Link configuration has been beat to death here at RCC. The info is here. There's a few really good threads somewhere in the general section
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryclownguy View Post
What are some of the specs such as motor, gearing, ...etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryclownguy View Post
What axles do you have?
WTF does that have to do with torque twist and unloading????
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote