Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tools?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #1

Default Tools?

Hello, I come here today with a question, My question is, What tools will I need to build a cralwer. I mean, welding..so on so forth, whats suggested? If it's a piece of big equpiptment tell me if they're altenatives.

As a 14 yr old kid, my funds are a bit limited, as I have no fanical backing my parents, as they want nothing to do with this "Dumb Hobby." So, I build on budgets.

Thanks SY.
suzuki_yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That really depends on what you plan to build.

If you are thinking of picking up a kit that doesnt require much modification, then a simple set of allen wrenches and a set of screwdrivers will do the trick.

If you are planning to build a custom crawler then the tools required will be much different and will depend on the design.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:45 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
That really depends on what you plan to build.

If you are thinking of picking up a kit that doesnt require much modification, then a simple set of allen wrenches and a set of screwdrivers will do the trick.

If you are planning to build a custom crawler then the tools required will be much different and will depend on the design.
X2, could be as simple as screw drivers and allen wrenches, or could go all the way up to full CNC machines, all depending on what you want to do. The crawler kits like AX10's make it alot easier for people to get into the hobby without having to fabricate much.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

You could build links and a chassis with a cordless drill, hacksaw, files, and a scroll, jig, or band saw.
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #5

It sounds like you are talking about building the frame itself (you said welding). There is a really good thread about brazing. That's how these guys build frames. Welding is a bit much for the size of the pieces involved, usually.

Check out this thread. Brazing Video
BajaGadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #6

Brazing seems to be a really popular way of making frames. All you need is a torch, some brake line, and some brazing rod.

The torch must be made for brazing however! It must have to correct gas in it.
Bohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

metal shop and machine shop classes in school if your lucky they also have a welding lab.talk to the teachers if your not in them.some times you can give them a blue print and they have one of the students make it for you.or if they have night classes sometimes you can sit in on them and make stuff yourself.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote