Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: torque twist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs down torque twist

i think ive learned enough to not be a noob, but ive made my ax10 almost comp worthy, but, how and the hell to get rid of the torque twist, iv tried a stiffer spring on the front right, already, but whats the trick with top links, which one do i put on top of the mount and how much hogher does it need to be
lizard017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
Pullman Crawler

I don't have an ax10, but on my wk I could cut it down by getting the lower shock mounts as low as possible. That just what I have found on mine.
A_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Here is the best way....
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

you need to put the stiffer spring in the rear left to prevent torque twist, also thicker grade oil in that shock.
drzjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Here is the best way....
just as soon as i get some money, what , in you opinion is the recamended chassis for'em, tube and reg chassis,m by the way i loved youe copperhead 3.0, thing was sick, with a front end like that it didnt need clocked, did it?
lizard017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:09 AM   #6

try losi whites in the front, pink in the RR and a red in the LR that helps out alot and get rid of the stock shocks try losi's or even t-maxx shocks
Fat_Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Here is the best way....
Thats a great way to trade torque twist for clod stall
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

so, there is no way to fix the torque twist? just hide it, right?......i mean stiffer spring and heavy oil will affect the articulation.....
barbaricboye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

To answer your question from the initial post, the side that has the front wheel rising will have the lower link in the rear. For distance I think most people just use right on the bottom of the 4 link plate and left on top.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Heavier shock oil will lessen the effect of torque twist because it will take longer for the chassis to twist (since the shock compresses more slowly). Articulation won't be as affected, because articulation usually moves the shocks much slower. A stiffer spring will affect articulation a little, but you'll probably have to experiment with different springs on different corners, spacers, etc. to get the right balance of articulation and anti-torque twist for your liking.

At the moment, I'm running stock RTR shocks and oil (whatever it comes with), but I put medium (green) springs in the front, and 2 of the big spacers on the left rear shock, so that the left rear is compressed. It's worked OK for the time being, but just about everything else on my chassis is still stock, so I'll probably need to make further adjustments to balance out torque twist vs articulation as I make more mods.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I no longer have a problem with torque twist. One thing to remember, do the adjusments for the in the rear, trying to mess with the front to do it will hurt performance.

Here's the simple things I did to get rid of most of it, but you will NEVER get rid of all of it, especially when nailing the throttle hard.

One thing, dont go higher than a 55T motor, I tried higher and just makes things a disaster for TT. Also, flip your trans around. Motor should be on the right side, not left (referencing as if in the driver's seat). Granted stock and some upgrade parts force you to put it on the left side (which means the designers didnt do their homework) if the motor stays on the left die, its going to twist no matter what you do, and as they all said here, stiffer spring in left rear with a little thicker shock oil. if you are having a problem with the front wheels not dropping, a lot of that is lack of weight in the front axle area, from battery pack to weight in the wheels. If you have an axle mounted pack, wheel wieghts are a must because there is no weight in the chassis anymore to force the articulation. ALso, SOFT springs up front. There is POSSIBLY many things that are aiding that problem that are things that changing them would greatly improve performance.

Hope that helps.
Mav-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I run my motor swapped around, (pinion gear towards the front, can to the rear) and I run Axial red supersoft springs in the front and the right rear with the stock spring from the kit in the left rear with a 1/4 inch preload spacer. Works pretty good for me. I also run 8oz. in each from tire.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Raise you rear pinion angle and point it straight at the tranny... then go just a hair above straight. It works like magic.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i went to a droop suspension on mine, with the four link mount. i only get a little bit of torque twist when going up step inclines
littleWOJIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard017 View Post
i think ive learned enough to not be a noob, but ive made my ax10 almost comp worthy, but, how and the hell to get rid of the torque twist, iv tried a stiffer spring on the front right, already, but whats the trick with top links, which one do i put on top of the mount and how much hogher does it need to be
Try your links in Reverse Triangulated form.

I'll upload a picture for you in the morning.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:16 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

CKRC's stage 2 kit helps out alot in my opinion. A little work to drill holes in the chassis but combined with a stiffer rear left spring and some weight up front it can work wonders.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I HAVE VIRTUALLY NO TORQUE TWIST

its a beautiful thing

research reverse triangulation, that is the key

i am running soft springs in every corner with 30 weight, an 11.1 lipo with high gearing and torque twist is not an issue at all. do research on reverse triangulation and lengthen your uppers.
mtnyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

If you still have this problem, do a mirror tranny. i dont get any torque twist after i did that to mine.
88toyota88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Can you please provide a pic of exactly what you mean by reverse triangulation, or failing that a detailed description of the changes.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:09 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

I, OBERON CRAWLER, ONCE AND FOR ALL HAVE THE ANSWER TO SHAFT TORQUE TWIST........

Two counter rotating shafts per axle, each drive shaft driving one wheel.

That's it no more hiding it under the carpet of non symertrical links and shocks.

OR

you could just get a berg and have the added bonus of electric dig, solid axles, the flexability to run light chassis with a high GC and a low CG (something you'll never do with a shafty)
The choice is yours
GET BERGLED

Last edited by oberon crawler; 08-19-2008 at 01:13 AM.
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote