Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 2 speed transmission help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2 speed transmission help?

im about to get a rc4wd kit and was gonna upgrade to 2 speed tranny and need someone to help explain to me how i shift it b/w 1st and 2nd gear? is it automatic or is does it use a servo and you have to modify a controller to have a switch to shift? or would i be better off with a 1 speed tranny. id rather spend the money now to upgrade to the two speed to save money later. thanks for all the help
06yz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't have one per say,so i'm not much help. But i believe is done with a servo. Have you read the info that rc4wd provides before you buy the tranny?http://rc4wdstore.com/product_info.p...roducts_id=593 AND IF YOU READ ALL THE WAY AT THE BOTTOM IT TELLS YOU THAT THEY WILL HAVE A SERVO MOUNT FOR THE TRANNY TO SHIFT IN LATE APRIL. SO I;M GUESSING THEY ALL READY HAVE THEM.THE SMALL TUBE COMING FROM THE TRANNY ON TOP IS THE ONCHOR POINT WICH MOVES THE SHAFT INSIDE THUS CHANGING IN TO 2ND GEAR. Hope this helps and if it did not, wel i tried.
edward87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

ya i read that i just didnt understand completely what it meant because it said optional.
06yz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

what is optional is the mount and linkage for the servo. the servo pushes and pulls a shaft in the tranny to manually shift it. i put an r2 2 speed in my high lift and didn't need the servo mount because it came from the factory already with a 3 speed (it,s just huge and the ground clearance sucks) but i can tell you that they are good to have regardless as they make the set up a lot simpler. they even have a new sideways mount now that looks like it may be provide a better center of gravity as it keeps everything lower in the chassis.
puryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #5

you hvae it right, a servo mounts to your rig somewhere, anywhere it up to you, buy the optional part or make your own. the servo needs to be attached to that rod coming out of the tranny then you need a 3 channel radio so that your tranny servo gets a signal.
Venturestein is offline   Reply With Quote