Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 3-ch radios that have EPA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 3-ch radios that have EPA?

I've been having a tough time trying to find relevant topics that describe which radios have EPA setpoints. My searches pull up way too many topics that have nothing to do with radios. Is there somewhere I can find out which radios have EPA and which do not?

I'd like to get a 3-channel radio, because I plan to eventually get a dig, but I basically have no idea where to start on researching radios.

I'd love to get a DX3R, but it's really expensive, and probably way overkill for what I truly need.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The Airtronics mx3 has end point adj. but with out the 3 position switch mod you will not have the option for 4wd ,free wheel,and brake. But if you only want 4wd and lock then it is great and only about 100.00 bucks.

I will say this if you have any plans on competing much I would strongly suggest saving and getting a DX3R.
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
I've been having a tough time trying to find relevant topics that describe which radios have EPA setpoints. My searches pull up way too many topics that have nothing to do with radios. Is there somewhere I can find out which radios have EPA and which do not?

I'd like to get a 3-channel radio, because I plan to eventually get a dig, but I basically have no idea where to start on researching radios.

I'd love to get a DX3R, but it's really expensive, and probably way overkill for what I truly need.
Here is the best 3 channel deal your gonna find....
the rx is synthesized so you have 30 channels (no crystals)
the 3rd channel is dig friendly (linear)
you get a mg servo...
all for less than $100...

http://cgi.ebay.com/JR-XS3-SYNTHESIZ...742.m153.l1262
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:

when i was debating getting the dx3r i was thinking it might be overkill too, mainly because of the price.
but since ive gotten one ive never been happier about shelling out 320 plus tax on a hobby, and never looked back
the dx3r makes programing soo much easier. ive only been into rc about a month before i got my dx3r and i didnt even need to read the manual to start programing. well actually i had to go through it to learn how to bind the rx to the tx.
trust me though, you wont regret laying down the cash.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXt559 View Post
when i was debating getting the dx3r i was thinking it might be overkill too, mainly because of the price.
but since ive gotten one ive never been happier about shelling out 320 plus tax on a hobby, and never looked back
the dx3r makes programing soo much easier. ive only been into rc about a month before i got my dx3r and i didnt even need to read the manual to start programing. well actually i had to go through it to learn how to bind the rx to the tx.
trust me though, you wont regret laying down the cash.
If you really want the DX3R....
$269.95 w free shipping and no tax outside of Cali...
Ultimate Hobbies...

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=N%2FA&subsize=
Old 08-14-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Not to jack your thread but I have been wondering the same thing. This is the radio that I just got recently and I'm not sure if it will give all of the functions of the dig. I don't know if it has the adjustable EPA's for the dig.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPM20300

Again, not to jack your thread, but I would like to know if it would work for the VF/DNA Dig I have sitting on my work bench. How about a R2 with disconnect? Anyways, thanks again XPLORx4 for putting up this thread. It's going to help me out a bunch also, good luck with your search for a good controller. SLOB
SLOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I gotta put in another vote for the DX3R. Best $ you will spend on this hobby in my opinion. At first I didn't know for sure if I wanted to spend that much $ on radio gear, but after I sunk a ton of $ in one of my rigs I wanted to get a really good radio. Now I've bout a second tx and about to buy a third since I have some others that drive my trucks with me, and will soon be in the process of switching all my r/c's over to it.

By far one of the best things I've ever upgraded to.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOB View Post
Not to jack your thread but I have been wondering the same thing. This is the radio that I just got recently and I'm not sure if it will give all of the functions of the dig. I don't know if it has the adjustable EPA's for the dig.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPM20300

Again, not to jack your thread, but I would like to know if it would work for the VF/DNA Dig I have sitting on my work bench. How about a R2 with disconnect? Anyways, thanks again XPLORx4 for putting up this thread. It's going to help me out a bunch also, good luck with your search for a good controller. SLOB
look at pgs 16 and 23 of your dx 3.0 manual. You have the linear or transmission shift selector function and endpoint adjustment for a dig
Hope this helps

Last edited by Bermbuster; 08-14-2008 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Another option is the Futaba's 3PM and it even comes in 2.4gig. It has all the EPA and 3rd channel mixing with almost all the bells and whistles. The third channel is a 2 position switch but with a little work you can get get 3 positions out of the 3 channel by using it's condition switch. It can be done and I have, but it's a bit cumbersome to use for say Dig or winch options and the rear steer isn't independant. You have to slave it to front. There are 2 threads in the Electronics section on how to program it. They're in the Radio sticky.

Now with that being said, it's really only a cheap alternative and there are more intuitive radios out there. I've got 2 3PM's and just picked up a DX3R and like everyone else is saying, I reccomend it. As far as overkill, there's almost no such thing. It's not like it can only be used for a crawler. Once you get to using all the extra little features you wonder why you bothered with anything else.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermbuster View Post
look at pgs 16 and 23 of your dx 3.0 manual. You have the linear or transmission shift selector function and endpoint adjustment for a dig
Hope this helps

First off, thanks to XPLORx4 for hopefully not getting pissed for me getting into his thread. XPLORx4, I like this controller much better than my old ones (Traxxas TQ2, TQ3 and a Futaba). I am using it on my rig right now, without the dig setup that is. It got rid of all my glitching problems immediately. Much smother action when driving. It also comes with two receivers. Not a bad deal on the set up either. Not sure what I paid, I can look for the receipt if you are curious but most LHS's should have one in stock.

Bermbuster - thanks for the info. Still trying to figure this thing out, it's got alot of buttons. Thanks again for the info, SLOB
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

if you don't want to shell out the $$$$ for a DX3R . Look into getting a old DX3 not the DX3.0 . With the DX3 you can do a $3.00 mod and you are set .
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:14 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

No matter what your going to need a 3 position switch if your planning to run a dig. DX3R is a great radio as is the Normando series the Multiplex 403 is very nice if you can find one, but you'll have a frequency to manage. These are all wheel radios with 3 position switches.
There's a how to thread for installing a 3 position switch on the Airtronics MX-3 like Badd mentions in his post. Thats a good radio if you go that way and is probably the least expensive if you need to watch the budget.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Here is another vote for DX3 (not 3.0). If you are planning on using the 3rd ch mainly for a DIG the toggle switch mod is extremely handy.

You can find the dx3's on ebay but the prices seem to vary depending on how many crawlers are looking for one at that moment... I've seen them go for $100-150. Still half of the dx3r.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
I gotta put in another vote for the DX3R. Best $ you will spend on this hobby in my opinion...

By far one of the best things I've ever upgraded to.
couldn't agree more.
jbrentd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

If you really wanna skimp,there's a sticky in the electronics section that shows how to put EPA adjustments in a TQ3. It can be done and is cheap.

If you want a bit better set up,find a DX3 used. I currently have a DX3 that I use and have it set up for 2 different trucks. Works awesome. My son also uses a DX3 for his crawler and his Stampede basher.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I have the futaba. Its am or whatever 3 channel, mixing, and like 129.00
Deezul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezul View Post
I have the futaba. Its am or whatever 3 channel, mixing, and like 129.00
Do you have a three position switch on that third channel on that radio? It's a good feature to have all three options of a dig system the free wheel position is very helpful when climbing.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

To those of you that have replied, what's the major difference between the DX3R and the 3.0 that I have (see the link posted above)? What's everyones major dislikes about the 3.0? Just trying to get an idea before I start to build up my dig. Thanks again, SLOB.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

with the 3.0 you only have a 2 position dig with the dxr3 you have a 3 position dig. with the older 3 tx if you add a toggle switch you get the 3 position dig....
2 position = 4wd and dig
3 position =4wd dig and 2wd

the dig depends on if you use a rear wheel or front wheel set up....
hope this helps
Old 08-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermbuster View Post
with the 3.0 you only have a 2 position dig with the dxr3 you have a 3 position dig. with the older 3 tx if you add a toggle switch you get the 3 position dig....
2 position = 4wd and dig
3 position =4wd dig and 2wd

the dig depends on if you use a rear wheel or front wheel set up....
hope this helps
So, what dig would be a better setup to use with the 3.0 controller? The DNA or get a R2? Is the R2 a 3 position type dig also? Have never even set one up so this will be my first attempt at setting one up and using one. Thanks, SLOB.