Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scale rig possible on a budget?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scale rig possible on a budget?

I want a scale rig,is it possible to build or buy one on a budget?The only thing I have found close enough is the highlift but its $420.Am I getting into the wrong type of rig?Scale rigs seem to be the more expensive vehicles of crawling and if it is true its not for me.I really don't want to spend $1,000+ on a rig.If this is impossible to avoid I'd rather buy an ax10 rtr.I just love the scales looks over the typical tuber chassis.I have been building models for 23 yrs and am dying to have something I can detail the heck out of.
speedemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

axial rtr + x-trail chassis/parts + a good lexan or hardbody + different tires
0778drz110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0778drz110 View Post
axial rtr + x-trail chassis/parts + a good lexan or hardbody + different tires
Who produces the x-trail and what tires would you recommend?1.9 or 2.2?Could I get the same result with the ax10 ARR?
Old 08-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

tcs crawlers
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-1...n-p-16556.html
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-X-Tra...t-p-16649.html

tires depend on what body you chose

i and pretty sure the ARR fits
0778drz110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

go with a fj cruiser. they look really cool. check out the 1.9 scaler section.

** Beckworks FJ Cruiser: EXO'd style! No 56K for sure! **

that got put alot of work into his. but you could do it with the A-rtr, an x-trail, a body, and some new wheels and tire. id say about $450 would get you a pretty decent scaler. that is if you allready have all the electronic reguirments. (i.e. transmiter, reciever, servo, esc, and motor)

Last edited by littleWOJIN; 08-16-2008 at 08:25 PM.
littleWOJIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The FJ is cool but I prefer the older style bodies of the eighties,bronco ,land cruiser etc.Any recommendations on older body manufacturers besides HPI?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0778drz110 View Post
tcs crawlers
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-1...n-p-16556.html
http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-X-Tra...t-p-16649.html

tires depend on what body you chose

i and pretty sure the ARR fits
Okay,so I need both of these to go scale?Are there more parts other than the side rails that will be removed from the axial?Also I want the suspension to be as scale as possible with a shock on each corner.Where would I get the parts to do so?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

if you're on a limited budget and want to go scale then you may have to give some things up.

On a tight budget you can go scale without 'going scale'. What I mean is that you can get the axial kit or RTR and put a body and some 1.9's on it and call it a day. Not the most scale but then if you have more room in your budget you can keep making it more scale. You can also build your own chassis pretty easily, and I dont mean something fancy bent out of 1/2" tubing. There are plenty of chassis I see made here that are hand cut from alum or simply use alum plate or angle...

check out these builds. They are 'scale' rigs but sit on standard axial underpinnings:
my first scaler 1.9...

these two guys are local to me and I've seen the rigs at our gtg's. They would be sufficient in terms of scale rigs, and again, depending on your budget you could upgrade to more scale stuff or make stuff...

minimum, you're looking at the RTR price ($250?) plus the xtrail chassis $80? plus some tires and [plastic] wheels, $55. then you need a body. $25-$60 for a toysRus or walmart toy to pull the body from. If you want an older body then you might get a lexan body for about that much or less.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I want something exactly like this but without having to spend $1k on a hilux kit.Why won't tamiya just re-release them already?!!!!! LOL

Old 08-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

they did re-release it as the hilift hilux. not exactly the same but the body is nearly the same. still $400 for the kit alone and I think you still need the electronics and such.
Also, if you're new to the hobby you have to factor in some one time costs like the charger and such...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemall View Post
I want something exactly like this but without having to spend $1k on a hilux kit.Why won't tamiya just re-release them already?!!!!! LOL

you are not going to get this on a budget
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
they did re-release it as the hilift hilux. not exactly the same but the body is nearly the same. still $400 for the kit alone and I think you still need the electronics and such.
Also, if you're new to the hobby you have to factor in some one time costs like the charger and such...
Yeah I saw that kit,I think getting that one is the only way to really get what I want so I'm going to liquidate some of my RC collection and buy one.What would you recommend as far an esc?Should I just get a crawler motor and esc setup or would the stock motor that comes with it be sufficient?Also what can be done to the hilift to make the suspension articulate more than stock,or is the stock suspension flexible enough out of the box?