Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rear D-Shaft on an MFM Widow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rear D-Shaft on an MFM Widow

I just got the MFM chassis. The tranny mount is way forward and I'm not running a VF dig. I mocked up the MIP rear driveshaft (I don't have the tranny yet) and it looks like it will just barely be long enough sitting flat. Not sure what it will do when flexed.

Did anyone build an MFM without the VF or R2? Was the driveshaft length crazy long or am I just not mocking it up right? I mean I have a tranny on another AX so i know how big they are and where the outputs are... etc. It just seems like a really long driveshaft without a tranny mounted dig.
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

It's not that it's "crazy long"...it's just longer than the front Mine worked fine with a standard length Maxx shaft...and I think I even had to cut it down just a bit.

I run full droop, so it may work differently for you if you're running sprung. Your driveshaft really doesn't slip in and out as much as you may think it does on flex.

Last edited by Offroader5; 08-20-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I just got the MFM chassis. The tranny mount is way forward and I'm not running a VF dig. I mocked up the MIP rear driveshaft (I don't have the tranny yet) and it looks like it will just barely be long enough sitting flat. Not sure what it will do when flexed.

Did anyone build an MFM without the VF or R2? Was the driveshaft length crazy long or am I just not mocking it up right? I mean I have a tranny on another AX so i know how big they are and where the outputs are... etc. It just seems like a really long driveshaft without a tranny mounted dig.
I built it without the dig and ran into the same problem. The trans sit further forward than the stock Axial chassis. In short, the rear CVD is now too short and the front CVD is too long.
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Get rid of the MIP driveshafts and get some Maxx shafts or Revo shafts.... They are super strong and both are more than long enough and can be shortened to ANY length in a matter of minutes
You couldn't even pay me to run metal cvd driveshafts... I change setups far too often to be stuck with a certain length driveshaft.
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Wll I was just hoping to use stuff I had laying around for this build... which included an MIP D-Shaft. I'm fresh out of MAXX shafts, but I guess I'll need some anyway for the D-Shaft dig.

Thanks!!
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM   #6
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
Get rid of the MIP driveshafts and get some Maxx shafts or Revo shafts.... They are super strong and both are more than long enough and can be shortened to ANY length in a matter of minutes
You couldn't even pay me to run metal cvd driveshafts... I change setups far too often to be stuck with a certain length driveshaft.
x2....MIP's shafts are most certainly the bomb as is all their other CVD products...but good luck getting them the "just right" length that you need. Stay cheaper and adjustable with plastic
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote