Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Radio: Air to surface conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Radio: Air to surface conversion

First off...this site is awesome. So much RC knowledge in one place!!

Now for my question: I would like to buy the Spektrum DX6i, but this is an air radio. Is it even possible to convert this radio to surface use? If so how? (I have an email to Spektrum support. Still waiting for an answer)

I want this radio for the Tamiya CR-01 I just ordered. I want the 6 channels to be able to do front steer, independent rear steer, crab steer, light operation, winch, and whatever other thing i find on this site i want to try.:grin:

Yes I did do a lot of searching for my question. The threads I did find taught me the difference between the air and surface radios.

If the DX6i does not work, my other two options are the TQ3 and the 3PM. Thanks in advance.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
RCC Addict

no need to convert it, buy the radio with the rx and install it, set it up and use it. thats all there is to converting it. just install,program,use.

thats the beauty of 2.4 stuff. 2.4 is 2.4 is 2.4. air land sea, its still 2.4
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I run the DX6 and just love it. I would recommend looking up the mod for adding a spring return to the throttle gimble on the DX6i. This change makes driving with the air radio MUCH easier as the throttle will then return to brake/neutral when released. MANY times before I did that mod to my DX6, I would end up popping into reverse in my attempt to just stop. A 1 point reverse can be the difference in a win or a loss.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks both for the replies.

I just got an email response from Spektrum, and they told me that the DX6i cannot be converted to surface use. Now I am more confused, i thought the whole FCC legal thing was because of the frequency, but it was pointed out to me that the frequency is not an issue in this radio because it is 2.4Ghz...2.4Ghz is the same whether or not used in air or surface. So is using the DX6i on surface legal or not?

There are many posts here that people say they are using the DX6i for their crawlers. I wonder if they did anything to theirs to make it legal for surface use? If it is still 'illegal' then are they just doing so because they are not using them in comps?

Xirtic: did you do any 'conversion' or are you using it as-is? As far as the neutral return mod, I will definitely do that if I end up getting the DX6i. Thanks for the info.
mtnhrdgr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You do not need to convert ANYTHING. If you use an AIR RECEIVER with the AIR RADIO....you are all set. You cannot use a SURFACE RECEIVER with an AIR RADIO. The air RX has the multitude of channels that are required by the DX6i...the surface RX does not. ALSO, a Spektrum AIR radio will not bind to a Spektrum SURFACE RX...this is also true in reverse....A Spektrum SURFACE radio will not bind to a Spektrum AIR RX.

Simply, use the Spektrum AIR RX with the Spekrtum AIR TX, and it will all be fine.

In my Spektrum DX6 I have done the following:
1. Internalized the TX antenna.
2. Swapped the voltage regulator in the TX for a more efficient chip.
3. Did the spring return mod to the throttle gimble.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhrdgr2 View Post
Thanks both for the replies.

I just got an email response from Spektrum, and they told me that the DX6i cannot be converted to surface use. Now I am more confused, i thought the whole FCC legal thing was because of the frequency, but it was pointed out to me that the frequency is not an issue in this radio because it is 2.4Ghz...2.4Ghz is the same whether or not used in air or surface. So is using the DX6i on surface legal or not?

There are many posts here that people say they are using the DX6i for their crawlers. I wonder if they did anything to theirs to make it legal for surface use? If it is still 'illegal' then are they just doing so because they are not using them in comps?

Xirtic: did you do any 'conversion' or are you using it as-is? As far as the neutral return mod, I will definitely do that if I end up getting the DX6i. Thanks for the info.
I wonder what the difference is between the surface and air Rx's? I dont understand, if its all 2.4ghz, why doesnt everything play nice?
AxelRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
RCC Addict

what spektrum is telling you is the DX6i is designed for use as a flight radio, it cant be converted as mentioned, you just use the DX6i appropriate rx unit.

with 2.4 being digital, it doesnt intrude on the am/fm/fm synth radios. nor does it interfer with other 2.4 radios as being digital, they can be programed via the software to be secure and encoded just like a wireless router so to speak, so the TX can only speak to a perticular Rx, and visa versa.

now the older radio were FCC Goverened, and obviously the 2.4 is as well, and it was a big no no to use an air made radio on a grnd based rc, mostly due to liabilty issues if something went out of control becuze of someone turning on a radio on a currently used channel, causeing the run away.

now there isnt a LIMITless number of available channels on a 2.4 system. its about 80 available 2.4 RC Specific channels. that means in any given area (say one square mile area) 80 individual 2.4 radios can be functioning. and i think that goes so far as it can be 80 surface units, and 80 air units ect... all operating without reacting to any of the other systems signals.
this may also go as far as each brand, ie Futaba, Nomadio, Spektrum ect...

but when number 81 tries to come on, it isnt able to conect with the RX as all avialable chnnls are full and currently used, so it cant work, and still shouldnt cause (if all is right), anyone else on those 80 channels to lose control of their rc.

basically buy and use the Speky DX6 if you want to. it shouldnt be an issue, comp or not, it should be fine.

its not like the FCC will find you and give you a 1,000,000.00 fine and put you in jail for 20 yrs (well it IS the FCC so....)
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I use a dx7 with an ar7000 and it works great in my crawler
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I use a DX6 with the AR6000 RX with zero problems, the DX6i and RX included with it will work with no conversion needed, literally plug & play.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
You do not need to convert ANYTHING. If you use an AIR RECEIVER with the AIR RADIO....you are all set. You cannot use a SURFACE RECEIVER with an AIR RADIO. The air RX has the multitude of channels that are required by the DX6i...the surface RX does not. ALSO, a Spektrum AIR radio will not bind to a Spektrum SURFACE RX...this is also true in reverse....A Spektrum SURFACE radio will not bind to a Spektrum AIR RX.

Simply, use the Spektrum AIR RX with the Spekrtum AIR TX, and it will all be fine.

In my Spektrum DX6 I have done the following:
1. Internalized the TX antenna.
2. Swapped the voltage regulator in the TX for a more efficient chip.
3. Did the spring return mod to the throttle gimble.
mind to share how did u mod your throttle to spring return?
thanx in advance
VR6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

search button. scroll down on this one hope it helps

http://www.rccrawler.com/dx6.html
speedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6T View Post
mind to share how did u mod your throttle to spring return?
thanx in advance
search button again. lol use it thats what it made for

DX6 Left stick centering Mod with Pictures
speedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote