Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to crawling!! What to buy??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

Default New to crawling!! What to buy??

My dad has recently gotten into r/c and I talked him into a slash, now he has the bug and went off and bought an artr ax-10 and i put it together and tested it out while hes at work, he will stopping by my house and picking it up in a few days, long story short, i dont want to let it go, its a BLAST, its got a 645mg integy 65T, and using his tq2 from the slash... I want to get my own now, but i kinda want to go all out, been looking at the bergs and was wondering if my xl-5 will run two novak 55's in parallel, and would it be wise for a newb to get somthing like that, i like his but without ever driving one before dont know if i should keep it simple or go all out like i did on my platinum.... I want to get the absolute best for my money, so help me out o knowledgable ones!!!
tx_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
RCC Addict

you can get froggy with the Bergs as well as the Axials

i would suggest the ARTR Axial unit. the Novak Rooster Crawler ed ESC and the 55t motor combo package. toss a Hitec 645MG servo and you ll have a pretty decent rig able to run NiCD/NiMH packs or even a lipo pack (i would start with NiMH cells (not NiCDs) and later switch to lipos as you ll need a lipo charger.

you can count on spending around 500.00 to get going on the axial setup, maybe 700 and up for the bergs depending on what you use. the ARTR kit is probably the best way forward, its pretty agile and able out of the box with some decent elecs.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i say buy the axial. for a newbie. there will be things you don't understand about the axial but its someting great to learn on. Build every piece yourself. and you don't even wanna open up a can of clodstall for your first build on a berg.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

i like the looks of it, and i have an ice alread, ive been into r/c for a couple years, im 23 and am pretty coordinated and a quick learner... i like the tuber chassis bolt on kit for it as well, i have another ?, should i get a high Turn 65 or 75 motor and use 7 or 8 cells, or just go 55 and keep 6 cell, any advantages or disadvantages to either?
tx_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
RCC Addict

im running the Novak Rooster system with 6 and 7 cell 4000Mahish packs.

works Great. its about as fast as i can walk. bit faster on the 7cells. get over 2 hrs run time. im not comping yet, just crawling around the course i made here.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm running a rooster crawler esc with a 7 cell split pack on the axles and a 45t integy motor. plenty of torque for what I do and has decent wheel speed also.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

YA go with the axial and some cash for upgrades. The AX-10 is a great rig to learn on but is also great for comps.
Wild Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote