Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 2.2 or 1.9?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 07:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2.2 or 1.9?

Hey guys, Im looking about diving into the RCcrawling world, but I cant decide on a ax10 RTR or maby a 1.9 scale rig, any suggestions? and which would be less stress full on a guys wallet?
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

If you dont want stress on your wallet then turn your computer off now and never return to this site or any other scale rc site

Just kidding but it is sort of an addiction. I only got into this last August. I used to be big into bodybuilding and blew out my back last summer in the gym. I was home for like 6 weeks straight so I decided to try to restore an old Kyosho Turbo Optima that I had from when I was a kid. In searching the web and ebay for parts for it, I came across this wonderful world of scale trucks and such. I started with an AX10 Scorpion then wanted to go 1.9 scale only. In just a year I have 8 or 9 scale trucks plus the fully restored Turbo Optima and I am collecting parts for my next few builds. My garage looks like a small hobby shop with wheels and tires and TLT-1 kits and Bruiser bodies and axles and stuff everywhere. Lots of stuff new in packages and all this in just one year.

I never thought at 32 years old I would be going back to rc modeling but man it has been fun. I am really not sure why I rambled on about my life but oh well. This site is a great start and though I have never met anyone from here in person, most of the people I have spoke with here are very friendly and very helpful.

Good luck to you!

An AX10 is a good first kit to build. I had a lot of fun building mine. More fun parting it out for other builds though.

EV

Last edited by eddievedder; 08-25-2008 at 08:38 PM.
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
cant decide on a ax10 RTR or maby a 1.9 scale rig
either way the initial purchase will not be the end of your spending....

scale is more fun IMO...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

i would suggest you get a trailfinder kit from rc4wd

then go to ebay or selling section here .. and get a yota Body and paint it or mod it .. whatever u wish to do ..

thats what i would do ..

and i would suggest you go to 1.9

but of course thats only my opinion
LorenzoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The AX-10 will be cheaper, and you may really enjoy crawling with a 2.2 truck. You could always convert a AX-10 into a scale truck with a x-trail chassis is with want to go with a 1.9 scale truck later.

The area around where I live is not well suited for 2.2 rigs, but is scaler heaven, so I ended up converting both of my ax-10s into scale trucks. Think about what terrain you have in your area, if you don't have any decent rock, a scaler may be more fun.

Watch a lot of videos of both 2.2 rigs, and 1.9 scale trucks, and decide what looks like more fun to you.

Like the others have said, you will end up spending more on this hobby than you thought you would.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

No i understand that iw ill probably be dumping a good amount of $$ into this if i start it, really i want to get something to start that is not to bad but can still crawls decent, and i saw the 1.9 scales and they look really cool but i can only imagine they crawl good when they are tricked out properly, now i was told the ax 10 crawls decent stock. But which is cheaper? and which would take more to make it crawl? a 2.2 or a 1.9?
Old 08-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantalk View Post
No i understand that iw ill probably be dumping a good amount of $$ into this if i start it, really i want to get something to start that is not to bad but can still crawls decent, and i saw the 1.9 scales and they look really cool but i can only imagine they crawl good when they are tricked out properly, now i was told the ax 10 crawls decent stock. But which is cheaper? and which would take more to make it crawl? a 2.2 or a 1.9?
The ax-10 would be cheaper, and only takes new tires and wheel weights to make it crawl really well.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Hmm ok then well I think I am going to go with the AX 10 then! haha thanks again every one!