Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Mounting an ESC on the rear axle - will it get wrecked?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 02:48 PM   #1

Default Mounting an ESC on the rear axle - will it get wrecked?

First post, please be nice, I've been hunting the forum for an answer for about and hour and a half now....

I have acquired a Axial AX10 and it is kitted out with the Novak Goat system, thing is the ESC is mounted on the rear axle. It looks very vulnerable to me, if the truck were to roll backward or roll and land awkwardly I reckon I may end up with a expensive ESC to replace...

Do may people run the ESC on the axle, and if I were to move it where's the best position for it. I have read that mounting it near the motor i.e under the battery tray can cause glitching?

Leave it or move it...please advise!

Many thanks

Ash
Ash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I have mine mounted on the front upper links on my Axial, it's well protected in there as the servo and battery (don't worry, it's not LiPo) take the hits from the front. I cut a little tri-plate out of scrap Lexan and tied it on with cable ties. Works like a charm.

I think at the back it's not so good from a weight distribution POV, you want as much as possible at the front. That big aluminium sink on the top does weigh more than you think, it's worth having it towards the front.
BritCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have mine mounted on the rear axle (it's a rooster). Made a small cover for it and good to go. As far as weight balance (at least with this rig) I can't complain, while the weight of the esc is not forward, it is low.

crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yup mounting them on some scrap lexan between the upper front links is the most common way. If there is no room there like in my rigs you can always just use the mounts for that battery plate with some lexan like this:

Or if you put cross braces then you can mount them like how I got it on my slingshot, also using lexan:

Just be creative. Using up some spare lexan pieces is the best way to go. But if you have to mount it on your rear axle then use some lexan scraps to make a guard to protect it.
crazy_kanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I have my electronics on the rear axle, a Sidewinder and a MX-3 Rx. I just made little brackets to hold them on that screw into the axle casing, and i have not had any problems. If the body is long enough, like the Losi Grappler, that it covers the rear axle, then it would probaly be fine without brackets to protect it. My friend mounted a goat system esc and a rx on his rear axle with just double sided tape and zip ties and it was fine.
BR4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #6

As below this is the current setup.

I take it you just tie wrap lexan to the rod's, looks like a perfect mounting point for the ESC like.

crawlinghulls rooster with the cover is cool, I may leave the ESC where it is and see how it runs. What did you make it out of - a little bit of thermoplastic bend with a stripheater or metal?

Last edited by Ash1984; 08-31-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Not nearly that involved - I just bent a piece of lexan and used the servo plate screw holes and my upper link mount to secure it.
crawlinghulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:29 AM   #8

Sorted mine....

[IMG]file:///Users/Guest/Desktop/Images%20for%20web%20use/DSCF3152.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-31-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash1984 View Post
Sorted mine....
Looking Good.... now you need to get your battery pack off the top deck and on the front axle.... either saddlepacks or a lipo on the battery/servoplate hop up....That will lower your COG and get need weight on the front axle.....
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am going to move mine to the rear links, I think this would offer the best of both worlds
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote