Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Not really Crawler, but...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Not really Crawler, but...

OK, I know this isn't really a crawler question, but I'm hoping you lot might have ideas.

I'm trying to help someone out. They've got one of the Hilux High Lifts, with that crazy control unit thing in it which allows it to make sounds and light up and stuff. Anyway, the ESC or the control panel part of the unit seems to be unhappy about something. All the sounds and lights seem to work fine, and driving about slowly seems OK. But as soon as you gun it, the controller switches off and restarts, as if something inside it has tripped.

Anybody know what might be the problem? I wanted to ask here before I took the thing to pieces, because the gearbox kinda scares the bejesus out of me.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like a brownout for the ESC. What is the condition of the battery? Perhaps it cannot provide enough current to keep the ESC going when you rev the motor.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLORx4 View Post
Sounds like a brownout for the ESC. What is the condition of the battery? Perhaps it cannot provide enough current to keep the ESC going when you rev the motor.
Well, we're using my Ansmann 4500mAH NiMH 6-stick for the testing, which tends to run and run (anything up to an hour in my CR-01), but I will put it on charge again and see if that helps.

Something dark and awful deep in my brain keeps telling me its a problem with the gearbox, and that something sticking in there is stopping the motor, forcing the ESC to cut out. I really don't want to open that thing up. I'm about the crawlers - all this gearbox stuff is too fancy and complicated for my brain.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote