Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New at rc crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #1

Default New at rc crawler

hi everyone i am new at rc crawler but i am into rc since i was in grade school. I would like to ask some suggestion on how to come up my first crawler . from the past forum it is said that a axial artr is best money wise and features. so i will get an axial artr $250
I will also change the flange ball with metal $30/30pcs and put a slipper clutch $25. thats all i need i think to slightly modify it.
now. the electronics im thinking of a novak rooster crawler/55t motor combo cost about 110 dollars. then servo hitec high torque metal gear servo around 35.00 dollars. then a regular ax10 controller and receiver for 30 dollars. that gives me a total of $$$480$$$$.

Is this right for this build. is there any suggestion for any parts that are as good or more but cheaper than what i intead to buy. Any suggestions. thanks
ptmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #2

that is what i should have done
instead of getting the RTR since i spent the money to change everything out anyways but being my first crawler i needed something to start off with to understand the basics that is why i got the RTR since then most of my friends have gotten crawlers but they learned some stuff from my stock RTR so i guess that's good have fun with your build
k1 designz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default !!!

Sounds like your off to a good start with the selection of truck & electronics.Not sure what you mean by the flange ball with metal.The ARTR already comes with metal balls in the links.And i dont think the slipper is really needed.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have the RTR for the same reasons mentioned, quick easy start. However, if you are looking at the ARTR I would spend a little extra for a nicer radio. Even get one of Ebay or something like that. I have some problems with throttle control. It's like the pot gets dirty and only will go full speed once and a while. Than again it could just be the cheaper ESC causing the problems. Just a thought.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'll second the vote to put the money you're thinking of spending on the slipper and flange ball with metal into better electronics. The novak rooster kit is a good option, but I'd look at a Tekin FXR. Much smaller, and not much more expensive when paired with a 55t integy.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

you should look for a used crawler, I picked up one on another forum for $400 that had all the good stuff, and included about $900 worth of stuff with the charger and lipos. If you do not mind looking around a bit, alot more crawler can be had for the money used.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote