Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie w/Axial AX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #1

Default Newbie w/Axial AX10

I'm a newbie, sort of. I quit r/c a long time ago, i owned and raced everything from dirt mods to tractor pullers to monster trucks. Seems like alot has changed, rock crawling is huge now! Back when i quit it was nothing. The TXT-1 had just came out, Imex was making a comeback, and New Era owned with its tube frame. Its been a long time! Anyways, i recently jumped back into r/c crawling and ordered a couple of Axial AX10's to build. Im very out of touch and had a few questions im sure i could get some answers to here.

1. What spare parts should i have on hand for the AX10's?
2. What size nut drivers and hex head wrenches will i need?
3. What hop-up parts are a must have?
4. Novak Rooster Crawler esc/motor combo or Tekin FXR esc/motor combo?
5. Best heavy duty metal gear servo's out?
blt-2-drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Which AX10 did you get? kit, ARTR, or RTR?

1. Revo driveshafts, servo arms, body clips.
2. dunno exactly, but for sure you'll need 1.5mm and 2mm hex head wrenches. Uses standard nut drivers.
3. Losi shocks, 4-link mounts, bent lower links, better tires, 2/3A 6 or 7-cell saddle pack or 3S Lipo mounted on front axle, Castle Creations BEC, WHEEL WEIGHTS!
4. ESC: Castle Creations Sidewinder or Tekin FXR; motor: 55T, hand wound 35T or Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T
5. Hitec 7955 or JR 8711 (or Hitec 645MG if you're on a limited budget)
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Go to RCP crawlers.com they have EVERYTHING you need...
I would say:

Go with the novak Goat BL crawler system, sinterd metal lockers, rock claw tires by losi, rear straight axle lock outs (RCP) front aluminum c's and knuckles (rcp) would be a great start!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck and happy building bro!
ElChupoCabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

For spare parts I like to keep a good supply of link ends to start with. If you got the kits you can upgrade to straight axles in the rear and then keep the 2 piece shafts on hand as spares. Also I go to Ace Hardware on a regular basis to keep a good stock built up on 3mm button head screws. I also personally like to keep an extra axle housing on hand, because even though they hold up great and most don't break them, I have now broken 2 in different ways. Oh and also keep some spare driveshafts on hand and body clips.

As for tools, a 5.5mm and 7mm nut driver or just the 4way tool that comes with it. I also keep a 5.5mm open end wrench for the nuts that are hard to get to. 1.5mm, 2mm, and a 2.5mm hex driver and maybe a few other odd and end ones. Also a pair of pliers, screwdrivers, and some cutters always come in handy.

As for hop ups, definately get aluminum knuckles and c's for the front axle, especially if you're gonna be getting a high torque servo. Get straight axles in the rear with aluminum lockouts because rear steer isn't comp legal. I like the TCS 4 link servo plate and boomerang, but if you keep the stock 3 link setup get the aluminum ones. Driveshaft rings seem to help out quite a bit for keeping the driveshafts from popping off the yoke, or upgrade to MIP's or Punishers. And of course get the battery off of the chassis and down on the front axle, and get wheel weights. Also get a Castle Creations BEC. Also tires, I like Panther Cougars, but at the very least get some Losi Claws.

As for the motor and esc, I personally don't like brushless for crawling, so really do some reading on here about the different reasons why people prefer one certain setup. I've heard excellent things about the Tekin FXR/55t motor setup and you can get the link to program the esc however you want it. Personally I love the Castle Sidewinder esc because I can use the same Castle Link to program the esc that I use with my BEC. As far as motors I like the Holmes Hobbies 7t Cobalt for the best of both worlds in low speed control as well as insane wheelspeed. Again though, really do some reading on here before you start buying as far as what issues people have had with different setups, and the setups that people love.

As far as steering servo's you can get buy with just a Hi Tech 645 that is a metal gear servo, but I've broken 2 of them trying to use them for steering, and they just don't have enough torque for me, so now I only use them for dig setups. If you want the best get a titanium geared servo like the Hi Tech 7955 that has tons of torque.

You can find good deals on everything from the different vendors on here such as www.tcscrawlers.com , www.rpphobby.com , www.rcpcrawlers.com , and www.holmeshobbies.com . I try to go to Holmes for my electronics because John is good to respond with any questions you might have, and will also set things like the esc and bec up any way you want. You can also check out www.amainhobbies.com for any items that the other vendors might have. All the ones I listed have are excellent on their shipping and you can usually get everything in just a couple days.

Something to keep in mind though, I got my first one and built it, and it sat on the shelf for a year while I decided on electronics. I really wasn't too interested in it because I had tons of other things going, but once I finally got it built and drove it I was hooked. It's not like any other r/c vehicle you've ever messed with, and once you drive one you will be hooked. I've since built two others and am doing some planning on my fourth and fifth. It's a horrible addiction.

Sorry for writing a book there, I've just got a ton of stuff I always change out first thing.

Last edited by MCSCOTT; 09-06-2008 at 10:27 AM.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:28 PM   #5

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I've spent hours on here reading through threads, checking things out. I've always been into crawling, the real thing and with r/c's. When i quit r/c before crawling wasnt very popular, there wasnt many companies that made crawler specific parts or electronics like there is today. Its very cool to see that its so popular now!

I have this problem with not being able to leave things alone. I cant have anything that is "stock". I put way too much money and time into things people think are useless. I've already spent over $1500 on the 2 AX10's and parts. I still dont have any electronics. Im having a blast already and i havent even received any of it in the mail yet.

Thanks for the advice. The servo's are next on my list. All of the hop-ups and spares i think i have covered so far so thats cool.
blt-2-drg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Upgrades and different ways of doing things can really add up quick like that, that's the only bad part of the addiction. After building 3 now I hate even looking at the total on my TCS history.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote