Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What I have learned...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2008, 02:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What I have learned...

I still consider myself a newb, but recently I have tried my first competition. I have determined a few pointers that I think other newb's might find useful, and even reduce there chances of looking like a complete dork. (like I did.)

1.) Buy some tennis balls and make up some gates. Get use to having limitations to where you can go. Why?!

I am lucky enough to have a very large rock garden located 2 blocks from my house. I am there almost every other night, testing. Up until this competition, I thought my truck could rule that rock garden. I have crawled across that garden a hundred times, and I have never had a problem. Now restrict your path down to less then 16" wide, and if you touch a gate you lose points. Plus you can't use reverse. That changes everything. Since the competition, I have returned to the garden for further testing. I took my home made gates and I have discovered a whole new world. What was once easy, now is extremely fun, and challenging.

NOTE: Tennis balls from most sporting good stores cost $3 each. Want to save some money? Go to a Dollar General or similar dollar store. Buy "Dog" tennis balls. I bought 36 tennis balls for $6. Sure they are colorful, and the girl at the register looked at my like I am nuts (oh wait... I am) but they work great. Try not to buy the ones that smell like beef jerky. They might make you hungry. Also please be really careful cutting them in half. I can see that someone could very easily stab there own hand. You may also not want to cut them in front of any canine friends. I know my dog still isn't talking to me.

Back to my original topic...

2.) Stay cool. When you crawl with people watching, stay cool. Don't get stressed out! The more relaxed you stay, the easier the course will be, you will have more fun, and you won't lose points when you get flustered and slam through 3 gates.

3.) Drink lots of water. Even here in Michigan the sun will bake you on those stones. Don't drink pop or an energy drink. They can actually cause you to loose your focus when the sun is backing on you.

4.) Ask lots of questions. I never met a rock crawling person who wouldn't explain why they setup there rig that way, or give you pointers on how to adjust, fix or eliminate problem areas. Due to a couple of guys pointers on my setup, I was able to almost clear the final course.

5.) Don't think you can not do something because you don't have the "perfect" rig. I saw a little crawler (age approx 10), take an almost stock scorpion, and make a course look easy where guys with Bergs where struggling. That kid is my hero.

6.) Take something to clean your wheels off with between courses. Remember, your hear to compete so take every advantage you can. I know Simple Green was popular at my last competition, for cleaning tires.

7.) And the most important rule... HAVE FUN. In the end, it doesn't matter who wins and who looses. All that really matters is that you had fun, maybe learned a bit. (I know I learned a lot about my truck, and myself)

I hope everyone has fun out there.
WyldWeazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

nice write up about experience, having fun definately helps.
bullet1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldWeazel View Post
I Sure they are colorful, and the girl at the register looked at my like I am nuts (oh wait... I am) but they work great.
Thats to funny, I could see the look on her face. to be buying 36 tenis balls at once. you could really mix it up and go in every night and buy one tennis ball then they will really give a u look when you check out.
jmantalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

once and a while try to take a durty ball back and say that your dog is color blind and cant see that color. tell them you need to exchange it for another color lol.
smallblock500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:53 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Plus you can't use reverse.
Yeah but one reverse, or even up to nine reverses beats hitting a gate marker. Don't be afraid to use reverse and especially a healthy, long reverse to get a new approach.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
NOTE: Tennis balls from most sporting good stores cost $3 each. Want to save some money? Go to a Dollar General or similar dollar store. Buy "Dog" tennis balls. I bought 36 tennis balls for $6. Sure they are colorful, and the girl at the register looked at my like I am nuts (oh wait... I am) but they work great. Try not to buy the ones that smell like beef jerky. They might make you hungry. Also please be really careful cutting them in half. I can see that someone could very easily stab there own hand. You may also not want to cut them in front of any canine friends. I know my dog still isn't talking to me.
The dog thing is priceless.
I hope to make my first comp in 2 weeks. I need to get my part that was missing. I cant wait
theycallmejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here's a tip us northerners can appreciate...........Try those rocks early in the morning after a good hard frost.
gyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Great Write up. Check out my post for (Practicing for Comps?) I got alot of good advice and that helped me out for my 2nd Comp that I entered. My 1st comp I never made it to the 2nd gate. The advice and wheel time spent helped me with my 2nd comp, I had a fun time. And thats what it's all about. -RCHuffer
RCHuffer is offline   Reply With Quote