Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Running NIMH 7.2s in Parallel...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Running NIMH 7.2s in Parallel...

I posted this in Newbie because it seemed like something that may have been discussed, but I couldn't find it. If this better belongs in Electronics, then my apologies.

Whilst looking for information about waterproofing ESCs, I have read around a couple of RC boat sites. A few of them use multiple 7.2 packs in parallel, the idea being that they want 7.2 to last much longer. Obviously they want plenty of run time, and don't want to have to wade into lakes to fetch their dead models.

Has anybody ever tried this with crawlers? I can get well over an hour of driving from my 4500 7.2 pack, and I am getting a second one tomorrow. The plan was to use it as a spare, so that if I get carried away on long hikes, I won't have to carry the truck home. But I've read you can get 70-80% additional run time by running both packs at the same time. Not the 100% you'd get running them seperately, but I expect that's because the vehicle has to carry both batteries the whole time.
fatwoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 05:19 PM   #2

Default running in parallel

I think that would be to heavy for a rock crawler unless you were running a123 batteries. thats what I've seen anyways
rainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

For a comp crawler, I don't see any advantage of running 2 6-cell sub-C stick packs in parallel. The weight distribution and COG issues would be counterproductive to crawling, and it's not that hard to swap batteries. Just stick that extra battery in your back pocket if you don't want to carry the rig while you're out hiking.

For a scale rig, it might be useful, though, especially if the model has been built so that the body isn't convenient to remove, and you want loads of runtime.
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds like a cool idea to me, I would just makes sure to keep the weight as low as possible. Maybe mount the second pack to the top of the second axle
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the only way I would concider it is if you were running 1500mah 2/3a packs. Then you could have a mini T style pack on top of your front upper links and a split pack on the front axle. Otherwise like stated already it would be very heavy and hinder more than help.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have seen it done. it is allot of weight like others have mentioned.. but on a pure trail truck it may not matter.. what I always did was just carry the other pack in my pocket and then changed on the long runs..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote