Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Intro and some ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 11:04 AM   #1

Default Intro and some ?'s

Hello everyone, Ive been readin these forums for quite a while, and I finally decided to join. I built my own crawler a few years ago, but now its time to step it up lol. My first crawler was an E-Maxx based truck, with PVC straight axles, JB Welded diffs, a cheesy motor and batt, and a frame and 4-link that I setup and built my self. My short falls were the cheesy motor and batt, the cheap material on the 4-links, and the fact that I didnt have a gear reduction, so this time its gunna be a lil different.

Now on to my questions. I was wondering if anyone else is runnin a Novak XRS Sport ESC? This is what I have now, and seemed to work good, but I wanted to know if a different ESC would be worth the cost. If I should change it out, what are some things to look for in a new one? My next question is for anyone with a Maxx based rig. Do any of you have the tranny mounted on its side to put the motor lower in the chassis and help lower the COG? I looked through the galleries and didnt see any like this. Do I just need to look again? Any pointers about this would be great. Thanks in advance for any info.
newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

It really depends on what battery you are wanting to run. The XRS is a good ESC for scale vehicles, but can only handle 6 cells (NiMH) or 2S (lipo). Here is the spec sheet on that ESC:
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/esc/xrs/xrs.html

As for a replacement, I have had good luck with the Castle Creations Sidewinder. It is a bit more expensive than the XRS, but it should be able to handle higher voltage batteries and any motor you wish to use (brushed or brushless). Keep in mind, you'll probably also want to invest in the Castle Link so you can easily program the ESC on your computer.

Both of these items are worth the money!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #3

Hey thanks for the info. I read that Novak spec sheet right before you posted lol. My problem is I dont fully understand what Im readin yet. I have limited knowledge, and no one around to explain it to me lol. Ok, so lets say I stick with this ESC for a while. It can handle 6 cell NiMh or 2S Li-po. What does the S in 2S stand for? Cell? Is the reason the XRS can only handle 6 NiMh cells because of the total output voltage of the batteries, or sumthin else?

At the moment I have an Integy 70t motor. Will the XRS run that? The spec sheet doesnt say that it will, but it also doesnt say that it wont. Which brings me back to the road block of not knowing what Im reading. Id like to keep a brushed motor setup, then run the appropriate ESC and batt.

I just took a quick look and I noticed the differences in mAH ratings between NiMh and Li-Po batteries. Are they rated on the same scale? Meaning that a 3200 mAH NiMh batt will last the same time as a 3200 mAH Li-Po batt.

Thanks for being patient. This is the only hang up I have on my build, and reading the stickies and what ever the searches bring up, doesnt quite clear it up for me.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The "S" and "P" in Lipo descriptions define how the battery is built. The "s" stands for "series" and the "p" stands for "parallel". Lipos use sets of cells (each at 3.7V IIRC) to create voltage (the cells wired in series) and current (or mAh) (the cells wired in parallel). Now that you know what the letters stand for, it is fairly easy to see the reason for the ratings on the ESC is determined by the voltage. If you have too many NiMH cells or too many lipo cells wired in series, then you will be sending too many volts through the ESC and the electronics will be damaged.

Yeah, the XRS should be able to handle the 70T motor. Most ESC's will state a motor turn limit...this is the lower limit....meaning that they are giving you a limit on the speed of a motor. The lower turn motors will run at higher rpms. That XRS should be fine with the 70T brushed motor.

As for comparing the two types of batteries (NiMH and LiPo), I am not sure if they are rated on the same scale. I would think that they are or at least the values are given as equivalent values.

BTW, here is a good website on the many different batteries:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Last edited by JeremyH; 10-03-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh....and dont forget to post up a pic of your crawler! It's good to see people still building their own...
Old 10-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

Ooo, thanks for the link.

Ok, now that youve explained that to me Ive got one more question. If the mAH rating is givin in equivalent values, I would consider either a 6 cell 4600 mAH NiMh pack or a 2s 4800 mAH Li-Po pack. The NiMh pack is quite a bit cheaper and has almost the same voltage. Would the diference between the 2 be as small as it looks (to me anyways), or would I notice a world of difference between the 2?

EDIT: Lol, Ill post pics of the parts I have. Im using mainly parts from my first, which I already tore down. Im just improving the electronics and the suspension. Ill definitly do a write up and I get my new axles made and start putting thins togather.

Last edited by newb; 10-03-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well, NiMH batteries are different animals than LiPo. You CAN NOT charge a Lipo on just any old charger. It MUST be a Lipo designated charger. Most chargers will ba able to handle NiMH.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #8

I understand the charging differences, and I already have a charger for NiMh batteries, I was just wondering about the differences in performance between the batteries.

I have a Dynamite RC Prophet Plus charger right now. What your opinion on these? I got it for free with an E-maxx so I wasnt complain lol.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4036
Old 10-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #9

I understand the differences in charging needs for the 2 batteries. I was just wondering about the performance differences.

I already have a Dynamite Prophet Plus charger for NiMh batteries, so if I went with a new NiMh pack I could save a pretty substantial amount of money. What are some thoughts on this charger? If its just a cheesy entry level deal, and I should get a new one, then I might as well start considering Li-Po.

NOTE: I got it for free with an E-Maxx, so I didnt ask questions or complain lol.

http://www.dynamiterc.com/Products/D...ProdID=DYN4036
Old 10-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

The XRS is not a good esc for a crawler, the brakes are very weak. When I first built my comp truck I was running an XRS but have since upgraded to a Rooster Crawler. With the Rooster Crawler you can run a 2s lipo...Hope this helps...
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #11

I see. Was the brake the only thing you didnt like, or did it just not perform good at all, compared to the Rooster?
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

In my opinion the Rooster Crawler has too much drag brake. The one that I had would jerk to a stop. The Castle Creations Sidewinder is a tad cheaper (but is more expensive if you get the Castle Link), has programmable drag brake and can handle 3S lipo or 8 cell NiMH.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #13

I'm very happy with my sidewinder.
Bohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #14

How easy is it to tune the Castle Link? It sounds like a very useful tool, but if its somethin that I cant figure out, then I dont wanna waste my money on it.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The Castle Link is a piece of hardware and software that allow you to easily program the Castle Creations products (like the Sidewinder, other ESCs and their BEC). The hardware is extremely easy to setup and the software is even easier to use. You can download the software from the Castle Creations website and check it out.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #16

Ahh, I understand. Thanks.