Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Dual purpose rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Default Dual purpose rig?

I'd like to say I'm not a newbie, as I was heavy into R/C about 20 years ago. But, after thumbing through the new RC car mags at B&N, I've come to the conclusion that I'm starting from scratch. Back when I was into this, the big upgrade was going to 6 cell 'hump' packs over 5 cell packs in Tamaiya buggies like the Frog.

Anyway, of all the 'new' trends I saw, crawling seems the most attractive to me. I've never been that much in to speed, and would rather have a technical aspect to my play. I also love to fab and modify. Combine these with the relative ease of finding crawling grounds, vs the big empty spaces needed for other venues, and I think its a winner.

All that being said, I'd like to have a cool, scale looking truck, that was good for crawling, but could also be used for tromping around in the brush, woods, snow, mud, etc. That has lead me toward the AX10...it would appear that perhaps a brushless setup (Novak Goat, maybe?), and a couple different pinion gears could get me a good happy medium.

Again, lots of this is new to me, so, am I on the right track? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Toby
TobyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the addiction, imho an ax-10 is a good choice as their is plenty support in the aftermarket for it, i own a couple, one is my comp rig, and the other is tuber very capable basher rig, i have 3 goat systems and can only say good thing about them, they can handle up to 7 cells and they have insane power, butter smooth control in the low end and great wheelspeed.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
On the lookout for Rocks

I would pick up the AX10 kit and a X-Trail chassis from TCS. Slap on some 2.2 Pro-Line FlatIrons and you'll have you a good 2.2 scaler that will also be able to tackle some good climbs. I am very surprised at what it can do, being my first 2.2 scaler.

Last edited by constantmotion; 11-20-2008 at 08:58 AM.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the welcome, and the tips.

As for the X-Trail chassis...I saw this one, but wasn't sure about a droop setup on anything but a crawler...wouldn't seem like the best setup for bashing, but again, I have almost no idea what I'm talking about
Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

My advice is, stick to the basic kit, drive it around, get to know it and decide if you want scale rig or a comp kind of rig, look around on the ax-10 forum, check out the different builds and hopefully you will build something that suits your need
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

You want to skim through the Scale sections, either 2.2 or 1.9. Thats where you'll see most of what you mentioned, Trail/basher rigs, a balance between the full on scale and the competition bred machines.

The Axial truck is good choice. If you like the smaller wheeled 1.9, Axial does have thier 1.9 scale version coming out in a few months too.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #7

Thanks again for all the help. Most likely, I'll pick up an AX-10 kit (can't bring myself to go RTR...half the fun is building), and start playing. In the meantime, its more reading...

Toby
Old 11-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
On the lookout for Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJ View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and the tips.

As for the X-Trail chassis...I saw this one, but wasn't sure about a droop setup on anything but a crawler...wouldn't seem like the best setup for bashing, but again, I have almost no idea what I'm talking about
You don't have to run it droop. I have running RC4WD Dual Rate Scale Shocks. You could also run just about any 80-90mm shock. Hi-Lift shock work well too.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote