Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 3rd channel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #1

Default 3rd channel

i have a losi mrc that i put rear steer on. my buddy has a 3 channel transmitter and reciever off one of his old cars (traxxas if that matters).

other than losing my spectrum capabilities, would this be a simple plug and play to gain a third channel or am i over looking something.

thanks.

Blake

Last edited by slowgo; 12-09-2008 at 10:49 PM.
slowgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

plug and play
hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yep, that will work. If you were planning on full time 4 wheel steer, you could just use a y-harness and plug both servos into it. That way you dont have to lose the spekktrum or change your Tx or Rx.
TOMCAT18T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:41 PM   #4

would i just ignore the batt. terminal on the traxxas receiver. the batt on my mrc goes into the ESC.
slowgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
RCC Addict

The third chanel on a stock traxxas transmitter is a one position switch, so when you flip the switch it would just move the servo in one direction, so if you rear wheels were straight and you flipped the switch it would only turn the rear wheels to the right or left but not both dirctions from the center position, also you would not be able to control how far the wheels turn, it would be all or nothing and only in one direction other then straight, not proportional like the front steering is. Tom's Y harness idea would be the better route as long as you don't mind having full time 4WS, but if you plan to do any comps 4WS is only allowed in the Super class and not in the Mini 1.9, or 2.2 classes.
abadk9420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadk9420 View Post
The third chanel on a stock traxxas transmitter is a one position switch, so when you flip the switch it would just move the servo in one direction, so if you rear wheels were straight and you flipped the switch it would only turn the rear wheels to the right or left but not both dirctions from the center position, also you would not be able to control how far the wheels turn, it would be all or nothing and only in one direction other then straight, not proportional like the front steering is. Tom's Y harness idea would be the better route as long as you don't mind having full time 4WS, but if you plan to do any comps 4WS is only allowed in the Super class and not in the Mini 1.9, or 2.2 classes.
or you could just take out the 2 way switch and wire a 3 way in. all instructions to do so can be found in electronics section, search tq3 mod.
colesdad45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

There is an extensive thread on this in the electronics section. Here is the wiring diagram.

There are two ways to rig up the switch, the top pic shows the remove having the stock two-position thumb switch and a three position switch, with a another switch to select between the two.
The bottom pic is the wiring for just the three-position switch. Hope this helps.
The mod is easy, it takes about 30 minutes and about $15 at Radio Shack.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote