Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie to Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newbie to Crawling

I'm not new to RC but I'm a total noob to rock crawling and have some questions. I am probably going to buy an Axial AX-10 Scorpion Kit Version crawler. Would a Hitec 645 be a decent steering servo to run since I already have it, I know in crawling its more about torque than speed? It will be controlled by an M8 w/ Spektrum. I'll most likely be using an Integy lather motor, which turn should I get? What ESC and batteries do you guys recommend? All my brushed ESC's are burned up so I will be buying new and I'm trying to keep on a budget. I have an Orion 3800 2S Carbon LiPO, would this work well in a crawler? If not what would be a better choice? What other mods would be good to do to this crawler?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Yes, the 645 is a good starting point. If you need more power from it, you can always add an external BEC. The Castle Creations BEC works quite well.

Integy 55T is a good starting point. Wheelspeed and torque can then be changed through gearing.

I like the Sidewinder ESC. I have quite a few of them and they perform flawlessly. The Castle Link can be purchased for easy programming with your computer and will work on all other CC products.

That Lipo should work well. In fact, the mAh rating is probably overkill.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdracer View Post
I'm not new to RC but I'm a total noob to rock crawling and have some questions. I am probably going to buy an Axial AX-10 Scorpion Kit Version crawler. Would a Hitec 645 be a decent steering servo to run since I already have it, I know in crawling its more about torque than speed? It will be controlled by an M8 w/ Spektrum. I'll most likely be using an Integy lather motor, which turn should I get? What ESC and batteries do you guys recommend? All my brushed ESC's are burned up so I will be buying new and I'm trying to keep on a budget. I have an Orion 3800 2S Carbon LiPO, would this work well in a crawler? If not what would be a better choice? What other mods would be good to do to this crawler?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

The 645 would be decent. I would recommend buying at JR8711 or Hitec 7955TG for the servo. The motor if you are going to be using 2S lipo I would go with a 35 turn just so you have a little more wheel speed. I am very particular to the Novak Goat. If you have the money I would get the Goat. Other things I would recommend the following. First you will want to do is try and get everything as low as possible. Fuel tubing on the shock shafts inside the shocks to lower the CoG. the link below is an easy way to lower your electronics. You can either buy it or make it yourself out of lexan or aluminum. Welcome to a very addictive hobby

upperlink electronics tray which you could also make youself

http://www.shop.rpphobby.com/product...productId=1007
treday619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies guys. I used to race electric offroad. It looks like I already have everything except an ESC and a crawler. I already have an external CC BEC too. Now I just have to get enough funds to buy the crawler itself.

When building the kit would you recommend putting airsoft BB's or cutting star like shapes in the foams?

Last edited by crazy4wdracer; 12-14-2008 at 03:20 PM.
crazy4wdracer is offline   Reply With Quote