Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 PM   #1

Default rebuild

okay, i am looking at getting a Integy V10 Matrix Rock Crawler Professional Motor 55S

now what do i need to look at to choose a good esc?

would this work-DuraTrax IntelliSpeed Auto-Sport Forward ESC?

is there an esc that is just foward only no braking?

what is this brake on the esc? how does that work?

basically what i am doing is turning a nitro into an electric crawler.

i have pulled the engine, gas tank and i am left with steering, 4x4 trans, brake controll, and a 3 channel pistol remote and a 4 channel reciever.

1 servo for steering
1 servo for braking(if any one doesn't know, it has the braking system on the drivline)(also was used to control the carb on the engine.
1 servo for the reverse switch on the drive line

so the remote worked like this: steering wheel for steering, toggle switch for fwd/rev, and trigger pulled back is gas and pushed forward is brake.

any ideas with a small budget? i want to keep the same parts as much as possible.

oh by the way, i am converting a nitro duratrax thunder quake that is 1:8 scale with futuba controler and receiver. i run 6 AA batteries in the truck and 6 AA in the controller.

another thing is batteries, nimh, lithion what is best. what is this lipo i hear of?

also thinking of getting a new reciever or controller or both. was acting very badly when using it last, dang thing would make the servos jitter and it would take off by itself or just stop responding, even with new batteries.

Last edited by quarterpounder; 12-15-2008 at 09:02 PM.
quarterpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterpounder View Post
okay, i am looking at getting a Integy V10 Matrix Rock Crawler Professional Motor 55S

now what do i need to look at to choose a good esc?

would this work-DuraTrax IntelliSpeed Auto-Sport Forward ESC?

is there an esc that is just foward only no braking?

what is this brake on the esc? how does that work?

basically what i am doing is turning a nitro into an electric crawler.

i have pulled the engine, gas tank and i am left with steering, 4x4 trans, brake controll, and a 3 channel pistol remote and a 4 channel reciever.

1 servo for steering
1 servo for braking(if any one doesn't know, it has the braking system on the drivline)(also was used to control the carb on the engine.
1 servo for the reverse switch on the drive line

so the remote worked like this: steering wheel for steering, toggle switch for fwd/rev, and trigger pulled back is gas and pushed forward is brake.

any ideas with a small budget? i want to keep the same parts as much as possible.

oh by the way, i am converting a nitro duratrax thunder quake that is 1:8 scale with futuba controler and receiver. i run 6 AA batteries in the truck and 6 AA in the controller.

another thing is batteries, nimh, lithion what is best. what is this lipo i hear of?

also thinking of getting a new reciever or controller or both. was acting very badly when using it last, dang thing would make the servos jitter and it would take off by itself or just stop responding, even with new batteries.
First things first.....I wouldn't dump all the money your going to dump into that truck to try and make it a crawler. It's just not worth it. The "Brake" that your asking about is a setting on the ESC that does just that, "Brake". When you are crawling a brake is a must! On most crawling ESC's you can set how much brake you want or don't want. Some good ESC's for crawling are Mamba Max ESC, Novak Rooster Crawler ESC, Novak Goat Crawler (Brushless) ESC, Mamba 25 ESC (Used on mostly 1.9's) ect...... Personally I use all the ones I just named. If your trying to build a "Super Class" crawler I would go with a Mamba Max 1/10 ESC or dual Novak Rooster Crawler ESC's. With the Mamba's you can program them via a "Castle link" controller off of your laptop or desk top. You can set things like "Drag Brake", "Brakes", "Punch Controll", "Throttle", "Timeing", "Brushed or Brushless", " Throttle curve", ect....any and everything that can be set can on the MM ESC.

As for a good TX I would say the Spektrum DX3R 3 channel all day long! If you are going the Super way go with a DX6i stick controller.

As for batteries it all depends on what class crawler you are running, motor, and gearing. All of the answers to your questions can be found by doing a search in each forum that it applies to. My advise would be do some research before you go any further with your build. At this point you are going to piss away a loy of money and still not have a good crawler. Sell what you have now and buy a Axial, Berg, ect.... and start from there.

And go ahead and buy a Star on here! This will allow you to see the For Sale forum quicker, enter into Vendor giveaways, ect.....look in your "User CP" and at the bottom of your page you will see "Paid Subscriptions", click the link and go from there! It will be the best $20 you will ever spend on crawling and the info you will get from here is priceless!!!!!

Last edited by TattooKenny; 12-16-2008 at 01:41 AM.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #3

alright thanks
quarterpounder is offline   Reply With Quote