Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: building a 2.2 comp rig first time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default building a 2.2 comp rig first time

I am wanting to know opinions on chassis, axles, and trany's of the different rigs out there. I of course want the losi when it come's out. But want to start building my first comp rig. I have had people tell me to start with the ax-10 artr. I think i would like to build it from scratch. If you have to tune these rigs anyways why not do it that way. If i could get some advise on the right axles, tranny, chassis available for the best low center of gravity and strength. I am going to go with the novak goat esc and engine. And i would like a dig if the work good. I kind of like the challenge of building this. I have the real thing and love working on it. this is a smaller scale and i have learned about you can tune these so much. Thanks for any help.
4ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Newage Berg...
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 PM   #3

in the same boat. Too much snow to have the 1:1 crawler out, so this hobby will keep me sane....
cannoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm getting ready to start on my first 2.2 crawler as well, been picking at the brain of some pretty knowledgeable people, and it seems to me, that if your intention is to build a true "comp" crawler, you are almost better off building from scratch.

The first few things you need to decide on is if you want a shafty or a berg, a tube chassis or a traditional chassis and go from there.

I have seen some amazing looking tube chassis's, the ones I was most impressed with were the DMG's (I really like the Aluminati). There are a lot of very nice standard type chassis's as well, and a whole thread on them under the general crawler forum.

Then pick your drivetrain, sounds like to me that the AX-10 gearbox is pretty good bang for the buck as are their axles, thats if you go the traditional drivetrain setup, otherwise, look into a Berg style axles.

Once you have chosen those bits, its start to aquire all the peripheral parts to assemble it.
DarkSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

well plan on going shaft style axles and guess the axial from what i found are probably the best to start with. I am doing a lot of reasearch before i just jump into it.
4ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote