Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New here with some questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #1

Default New here with some questions...

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums and new to crawling. Been around Rc for almost 10 years now. I've got Team Losi XXXs, Duratrax Nitro Quake and a Team Losi MLST and it's time to add a crawler to my collection. I've narrowed it down to the Duratrax Crawler RTR or the Axial Scorpion RTR, which one do you suggest?
0mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

scorpion
MCW24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

scorpion and never look back
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCW24 View Post
scorpion
And there are plenty of hop ups for the RTR version? I like customizing my rigs so I probably will be upgrading it alot.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Between just those two?

Axial. Period.

Aftermarket everything. I think the aftermarket parts support is about to where you can build a Scorpion without buying a single Axial part. Will that do?
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

axial all the way. so many upgrades for it and it is cheap to get started
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith View Post
Between just those two?

Axial. Period.

Aftermarket everything. I think the aftermarket parts support is about to where you can build a Scorpion without buying a single Axial part. Will that do?
Yes. That is exactly what I am looking for. lol. I will be ordering my scorpion from TCS on monday because they seem to have the cheapest prices.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I got the axial rtr recently, and if i did it again i'd buy the kit or artr and traxxas electronics. The rtr radio is pretty dissapointing, after your first run you will also be wanting to upgrade the servo as it often doesn't have enough power to turn the wheels while crawling.

On the upside it's a great truck and responds very well to mods, just by strapping the stick battery to the front servo/links, locking the diff and adding the optional spur it becomes a pretty impressive crawler
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have an AX, but I think any of the kits available now would be good crawlers. Axial... Venom... Kyosho... and soon Losi. The trick to any of them is setting them up and making it work for you and your driving style.

there is alot of aftermarket goodies for the axial tho.

Good luck
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #10

scorpion
mike267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #11
RCC Addict

the Axial rigs are a great starting point. the RTR or ARTR are nice units. the new Venom is out now, and so far doesnt seem to be too bad of a unit. its a bit early to tell, but it appears their game has gotten better over the last yr.

the losi 2.2 unit wont be out for a few months (march sometime).

any of these 3 brands should be pretty decetn and have a good start, but for the most part, the Axials have it for aftermarket and additional support at the moment cuz of their time in the game already.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Axial artr!
Benzbuildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

get The AX10 KIT. it's good experience. i looked at artr, rtr and kit. and decided i wanted to build. helped alot trying to figure out the mods.
robsdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Axial bro..
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Call me crazy, but I'd suggest the Losi comp crawler. It's not quite out yet, but it will be a nice truck. It shouldn't need many aftermarket parts to be as good, or better then a stock AX10, and since you already mention having a stable of Losi machines, I think you might like it. The Losi crawler has sveral advantages, in my opinion, over the AX10. I am sure the aftermarket will grow with the release of the Losi too.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espeefan View Post
Call me crazy, but I'd suggest the Losi comp crawler. It's not quite out yet, but it will be a nice truck. It shouldn't need many aftermarket parts to be as good, or better then a stock AX10, and since you already mention having a stable of Losi machines, I think you might like it. The Losi crawler has sveral advantages, in my opinion, over the AX10. I am sure the aftermarket will grow with the release of the Losi too.
I was thinking the exact same thing last night, I think that is what I'm going to do. I'm going to take this time to learn about crawling and saving so that I can get good electronics and a good radio system for it.

But than again on the other hand I was thinking that it's probably going to cost me a fortune to get good gear for the losi comp crawler, so I might just want to go with the axial rtr and use that extra money to get good tires and work on customizing my own rig....

Last edited by 0mega; 01-25-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:04 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I don't know if I would say that. It shouldn't be any more expensive to buy gear for the Losi, then it would be for the Axial. They are similar trucks. On the plus side, the Losi already has a dig from the factory, Axial does not. The intial cost of the Losi will be higher, but you won't need to spend much more on it, after the intial purchase, like you would with the Axial. With time, the aftermarket will grow for the Losi, I think, and by then, you'll have run the truck enough to know what you like, or don't like. Every crawler turns into a money pit, in it's own way, so saying you won't be buying lots of parts is foolish, even if you don't really need them.
Espeefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Axial all of the way! Tons of mods and tips available.
Sinagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #19

I'm actually thinking that I may just buy the Losi 1/18th crawler seeing as I really like my Mini LST and I wouldn't mind just crawling inside my house.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #20

You will not regret the 1/18 losi! Very fun little take-anywhere-run-anywhere crawler. It is capable out of the box, but after the typical free modifications and sticky tires it really crawls very well.
rllnstns is offline   Reply With Quote